What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 WBB Recruit Profile Index

We definitely have to up the toughness of our non-conference opponents.

I remember when a Lappe team went undefeated in the non-conference portion of the schedule and then found out they had not played a decent team. Lappe liked soft non-conference schedules, but that did not bode well for either the Big 12 or Pac 12.

While I agree, I think that it's a process. This year's team needs wins and confidence. Then, there are a few stiff tests in there to get ready for Pac-12 play. It's probably the best path to a WNIT bid this season.

Starting next year, though, we need to see schedules that would allow a 19-win team to qualify for the Dance without needing to win the Pac-12 Tourney to get there.

At least Rutgers and St. John's have much more appetizing schedules. Heck, if you look at Princeton, they play George Washington, Seton Hall, Dayton, and Kansas State this year before Ivy Play.

I think that there's an opportunity for Colorado to step it up and find tougher regional opponents. When was the last time we played Gonzaga? South Dakota State? Santa Clara? BYU? Montana (I'm still so sad that Robin Selvig has retired.)? Heck, even South Dakota, Nebraska, Creighton, and others would add some luster to the schedule for me. If I was a parent, I'd be looking closely at how a team chooses to challenge itself. I recognize that the jury is still out on that this year, but moving forward, I would hope for more. Kentucky was a step in the right direction, now I want to see more of that.

I suspect you'll see that happen. When JR was at Santa Clara she scheduled Texas Tech, LSU, Oregon, Washington, USC and insisted they keep Stanford on the schedule when SCU wanted to drop them.

I know this year is a process. The team only lost Jamee Swan from last year's team. They are adjusting to the new coaching staff. The losses of the previous years are not going to be turned around overnight. I want to see progress every season and being competitive.

I know this year is a process. The team only lost Jamee Swan from last year's team. They are adjusting to the new coaching staff. The losses of the previous years are not going to be turned around overnight. I want to see progress every season and being competitive.

"Only" lost Jamee Swan. Swan was a good player during her career at Colorado. She had so much promise. I still remember when the duo of Robinson and Swan arrived on campus, and the excitement that surrounded them. Such a shame to see things go by the wayside.

I assume you mean Arielle Roberson and she came in with the class before Jamee Swan. Swan came in with Lauren Huggins and Kyleesha Weston.

I know, I was just implying that the two of them on campus at the same time seemed to be promising at some juncture in the past.

I didn't mean to slight Jamee in the least. Jamee was a good player. The fact remains that CU's Pac-12 record last season was 2-16 and 7-23 overall.

The team lost only one player from a very disappointing season. I am hoping to see improvement with the assistance of the new coaching staff and new players. One of last year's freshmen was hurt and didn't play a single game. Ariana Freeman was a transfer and had to sit out.

Nobody here who followed last year's team would knock Jamee. She gave it her all. She played hurt and I wish her all the best as she plays overseas. Jamee was the best upperclassmen on last year's team, imo.

Arielle Roberson had so much promise and too many injuries during her time at CU. She played for West Virginia last season and got her master's degree this summer.

If I may, I would like to remind everyone that this thread was about recruiting. At some point yesterday it seemed to take a wrong turn into schedules, etc, etc. and there is another thread for that. I hope we can get back on track because it is getting confusing for an old guy like me...:)
One of the reasons that I mention this is that there has been a flurry of new verbals in the last few days and some of them may be recruits that we were following. Our friends at Arizona seem to be very aggressive right now, as can be expected since they have as many needs as we do. I still think that this is a year that we can afford to take on a 'project' or roll the dice, since it is looking like we will have plenty of roster space. I know that scholarships are valuable but never more so than when injuries give you an empty bench. No matter how good your recruiting is, there will still be mistakes or players who don't live up to potential and there will also be times you will get lucky. I remember a walk on named Alexus who we let go so she could end up starting for a Final Four team last year. Someone didn't think she was worth a scholarship here at CU. I'm still sore about that one and so were her teammates.

When I spoke with JR a few weeks ago she stated it was unlikely they would sign more than four players this cycle, even though they have the scholarships to do so.

Looks like coaching staff has a plan which begins with three key prospects visiting on Labor Day weekend.

I remember a walk on named Alexus who we let go so she could end up starting for a Final Four team last year. Someone didn't think she was worth a scholarship here at CU. I'm still sore about that one and so were her teammates.

Alexus was worthy of a scholarship and she was not a project.

I have seen the tweets about Arizona's verbals.

Just asked JR if Eleanor Jones made it to Boulder okay. Her response: " Actually, she is very delayed due to trying to get her VISA, etc. to get into school! She just finished her appt in London and should get her visa within a week so if the Good Lord is willing, she will be here next week!!" Welcome news.

When I spoke with JR a few weeks ago she stated it was unlikely they would sign more than four players this cycle, even though they have the scholarships to do so.

Looks like coaching staff has a plan which begins with three key prospects visiting on Labor Day weekend.

That they do. Near term, mid term and long term plans. She was raised by a businessman. What else would you expect :) I think numerous are going to be very pleasantly surprised with the Jank kid. She is a driven kid, with good height and runs the floor very well.

Just asked JR if Eleanor Jones made it to Boulder okay. Her response: " Actually, she is very delayed due to trying to get her VISA, etc. to get into school! She just finished her appt in London and should get her visa within a week so if the Good Lord is willing, she will be here next week!!" Welcome news.

I do know about visa issues as my nephew married a woman from Ukraine. They spent about 4 months apart trying to get visa issues straightened out. She is in the US now with a green card and both are professors at Iowa State. Another reason why I would like to see Iowa State on the schedule! I get to visit with them.

If I may, I would like to remind everyone that this thread was about recruiting. At some point yesterday it seemed to take a wrong turn into schedules, etc, etc. and there is another thread for that. I hope we can get back on track because it is getting confusing for an old guy like me...:)
One of the reasons that I mention this is that there has been a flurry of new verbals in the last few days and some of them may be recruits that we were following. Our friends at Arizona seem to be very aggressive right now, as can be expected since they have as many needs as we do. I still think that this is a year that we can afford to take on a 'project' or roll the dice, since it is looking like we will have plenty of roster space. I know that scholarships are valuable but never more so than when injuries give you an empty bench. No matter how good your recruiting is, there will still be mistakes or players who don't live up to potential and there will also be times you will get lucky. I remember a walk on named Alexus who we let go so she could end up starting for a Final Four team last year. Someone didn't think she was worth a scholarship here at CU. I'm still sore about that one and so were her teammates.

EdB60: to your comment about this being a recruiting thread - I am just off Facetime with that Payne kid and we discussed recruiting. Some of this I may have mentioned before, but here goes. Coincidentally she and her staff had a long meeting on recruiting this morning. Jeff Cammon, whom J signed away from Berkeley, is as good as advertised as a recruiter. He is well in on some excellent talent for class of 2017. As everyone knows they are in tough for 2017 because all the good players at the Power 5 level have been being recruited for the past few years and CU was not in on hardly any of them. But they have one excellent commit already and have three more coming in next weekend for the CSU football game that they are high on. Both Quebecois girls are excellent with one of them capable of being big time. The girl from Ventura is 6'1, lean, strong and with talent , tremendous upside & great attitude. There are numerous others that J & staff are speaking with about arranging campus visits soon. They are on the phone constantly working on this.

The two big issues are these: 1.) fighting against the poor record CU has had in recent years and 2.) city college settings like LA, San Francisco, NYC, etc. J says it's pretty tough convincing a player who wants the city lights and the beach to choose Boulder, but her experience tells her that a player who chooses night lights & beach over a better school & playing opportunity is probably not the type of player she wants anyway. The poor CU recent record she actually plays to her advantage with the possibility of playing time sooner rather than later but also in that if a player commits to her, knowing the lousy recent record, J knows that kid is the type of player they want. Someone who does not shy away from building something new and facing down a new challenge. A kid who plays & thinks tough.

The week of Sept 11 two coaches at a time are allowed to visit players in their homes. J will do each visit & says she will be in 6 states in 6 days with the various members of her staff prioritizing whom they want JR to visit with them. I asked where my two granddaughters were and J said they were off to the movies with Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson. How cool is that?! And a while back some were speculating Kennedy was departing CU. Not a chance!

I never thought Kennedy would leave CU because of her close friendship with Alexis. If one left, the other would leave, but they would have gone to the same school. Didn't see that happening.

I know "that Payne kid" knows her business, but, in addition to the above, she can sell playing with Kennedy and Alexis!

Post players should see CU as a great opportunity to come in and play.

Denver isn't that shabby of a city, but Colorado isn't close to the ocean. Those cities don't have beautiful mountains and the most beautiful college campus in the US either.

I know "that Payne kid" knows her business, but, in addition to the above, she can sell playing with Kennedy and Alexis!

Post players should see CU as a great opportunity to come in and play.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Anyone that comes into the program a year from now will have two seasons with Alexis and Kennedy. If they are a post player they can be guaranteed that they'll get the ball in position to score.

On a side note, Kennedy has gotten a lot of love recently on these threads and rightfully so. At the same time Alexis looks to me to have all the makings of a very, very good college basketball player. She's very athletic and has solid skills on the offensive end. If she can get more consistency in her 3-point shooting she'll be a load to guard.

So it looks like JR is putting her French to good use, assuming the two prospects from Quebec are more or less fluent.

I agree on Alexis. I'm seeing pictures on Instagram of the two friends, Kennedy and Alexis, working with Q on the court. Also seeing pictures of Buffs in the weight room! Getting stronger and that is a good thing.

If I am not mistaken, isn't French the official language of Quebec? I have two friends who live in Montreal and both are fluent in both French and English.

I agree on Alexis. I'm seeing pictures on Instagram of the two friends, Kennedy and Alexis, working with Q on the court. Also seeing pictures of Buffs in the weight room! Getting stronger and that is a good thing.

If I am not mistaken, isn't French the official language of Quebec? I have two friends who live in Montreal and both are fluent in both French and English.

Canada has two official languages: French and English. Most folks in Quebec are able to speak English but probably a slight majority speak French all the time. French is a matter of Province of Quebec pride. The French language issue is a huge political football in Canada. Next to no French is spoken in western Canada and the west resents having had the federal govt ram French language down their throats. It is interesting though that there are communities all across the country from Nova Scotia west to British Columbia that are French speaking, were settled by Quebecois and to this day speak French. Having lived in BC for over 20 years I can tell you that there are major differences between Canada & the US. It was fascinating and lovely to live there for 20 some years. JR and her friend Amber Hall were two of the first big recruits to come out of western Canada. Since then b'ball has really come on and is recruited heavily. Now we're off to visit an alpaca clothing factory with Estelle's literary club. Not sure how I got roped into this, but.......

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Anyone that comes into the program a year from now will have two seasons with Alexis and Kennedy. If they are a post player they can be guaranteed that they'll get the ball in position to score.

On a side note, Kennedy has gotten a lot of love recently on these threads and rightfully so. At the same time Alexis looks to me to have all the makings of a very, very good college basketball player. She's very athletic and has solid skills on the offensive end. If she can get more consistency in her 3-point shooting she'll be a load to guard.

So it looks like JR is putting her French to good use, assuming the two prospects from Quebec are more or less fluent.

Mark, Alexis will have virtually a green light to use her three point shooting. J has always allowed her three point shooters to put the ball in the air. That's part of her style. Enjoy a nice weekend, everyone!

Jack, thanks for all the updates and especially the little hints, because I know that you can't really be specific. I know that JR and her crew are really at a disadvantage due to the late start but I am glad to see that they are looking for those diamonds in the rough that always seem to make their way to stardom with the programs that are not in the so-called "elite" group of Power 5 schools and the better mid-majors. CU has suffered for the inconsistency of their recruiting for the last few years. We had some good years and we had some awful years, too. Every year Dayton, Gonzaga, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, etc all seem to come up with kids that the big boys overlook. Buff fans will remember Jessica Kuster from Rice two years ago, who ended up in the WNBA, or Kendall Noble and Alexis Govan from Western Kentucky who played AAU ball with Jasmine and Arielle but was passed over by all the big schools. There are still girls out there now that may just jump on an offer from a PAC 12 school even if we don't have a beach or the Hollywood night life.
I was just doing a little internet spooking and came up with a few names like this one...Player of the year: Aubrey Knight, Ventura, CA
TAMARA FARQUHAR,
MAEL GILLES
MAURANE CORBIN
All three from a place called Quebec

Jack, thanks for all the updates and especially the little hints, because I know that you can't really be specific. I know that JR and her crew are really at a disadvantage due to the late start but I am glad to see that they are looking for those diamonds in the rough that always seem to make their way to stardom with the programs that are not in the so-called "elite" group of Power 5 schools and the better mid-majors. CU has suffered for the inconsistency of their recruiting for the last few years. We had some good years and we had some awful years, too. Every year Dayton, Gonzaga, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, etc all seem to come up with kids that the big boys overlook. Buff fans will remember Jessica Kuster from Rice two years ago, who ended up in the WNBA, or Kendall Noble and Alexis Govan from Western Kentucky who played AAU ball with Jasmine and Arielle but was passed over by all the big schools. There are still girls out there now that may just jump on an offer from a PAC 12 school even if we don't have a beach or the Hollywood night life.
I was just doing a little internet spooking and came up with a few names like this one...Player of the year: Aubrey Knight, Ventura, CA
TAMARA FARQUHAR,
MAEL GILLES
MAURANE CORBIN

Pretty darn clever, aren't you, Ed :) The third visitor next weekend is indeed from Ventura.

Kelly Rae Finley follows her on twitter. She may have been the connection to CU. That is just a guess on my part.

Pretty much my reaction that Texas Tech, in particular, would be on the list. Texas Tech, Arizona or CU are not in the same league as the other schools, imo.

A 17 guard decommitted from UCLA yesterday. Rumor is she will go to Baylor.

TAMARA FARQUHAR,
MAEL GILLES
MAURANE CORBIN
Here you go Ed:

Back