What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

People also get caught up in the "USC recruits itself" narrative. A lot of people can sleepwalk to Top 20 classes there, but it still takes a good recruiter to recruit Top 5 consistently.

Rumor is more about his health and after all that stuff happened him just stepping away. I don’t think he would go after another job, especially one with expectations like uSC.
**** his BS health excuses. The guy is the John Calipari of CFB. Wins and then gets out just as everyone is discovering the level of scumbaggery it took for him to do so.

**** his BS health excuses. The guy is the John Calipari of CFB. Wins and then gets out just as everyone is discovering the level of scumbaggery it took for him to do so.
Haha I get it. Seems like there are definitely health issues there but it is used at very convenient times when things get tough.

I agree with you about this, but I think it's way more widespread throughout college sports than just those two peckerwoods.

SC recruits itself. But since it is LA, they need somebody who is somewhat charismatic. The best success they have recently had is with a personable HC, with solid, not great, coaching skills. I would think going the same route would be the answer. The question is, who is most like Pete Carroll? Jack Del Rio actually fits that mold. I am not sure he would be the terrible choice some are saying.

I actually would be a little worried if they hired Del Rio.

I wouldn't. Give Del Rio all the talent in the world and he'll micromanage it to the point where it isn't effective-look at how much better the Bronco D after he left for the Raiders and Wade took over as coordinator. If Lynn Swann had half a brain, he'd offer a blank check to Matt Campbell.

ESPN will give him a prime TV gig-just like the last time his "health issues" popped up.....and Kyle Whittingham is a Utah lifer.

ESPN will give him a prime TV gig-just like the last time his "health issues" popped up.....and Kyle Whittingham is a Utah lifer.
I agree to a point that he is a Utah lifer, however this isn’t some middling program like Nebraska coming after him. Usc can offer him a legitimate chance to take the next step and win a national championship which would be appealing to him after so many years at Utah.

People also get caught up in the "USC recruits itself" narrative. A lot of people can sleepwalk to Top 20 classes there, but it still takes a good recruiter to recruit Top 5 consistently.

A lot of USC classes are full of kids who are rated highly because USC recruited them. They also get tied up in recruiting superstar HS kids and sometimes pass up other kids with more potential.

Don't take this as saying I wouldn't rather have USC's recruits, they still manage to win a lot of games on talent despite coaching but it isn't just a case of pick the best kids and sign them.

They also aren't the only school this applies to. How many years was Texas in the top 5-10 in recruiting rankings only to continue their seasons outside the top 25 final rankings. Same for Notre Dame and some other schools.

USC does have a real advantage in recruiting and when they have a coach who knows how to use that advantage it is hard to compete with them. Thankfully they hire a lot more marginal coaches than Pete Carrolls, Robinsons, or McKays.

What's their profile? Clay Helton?
Not really, but he was convenient. I view their profile as an NFL guy who has a big name and will make a splash but won’t rock the boat internally. They have been chasing the next Pete Carroll ever since they lost the last Pete Carroll.

Heard an interview with Petros a few weeks ago and he was saying that USC may have made the wrong hire in passing over Orgeron even though the returns are early on Orgeron at LSU. Petros said that the reason USC didn't hire Orgeron is because he doesn't "speak the King's English" and isn't a country club guy and therefore didn't fit the highfalutin USC image.

Heard an interview with Petros a few weeks ago and he was saying that USC may have made the wrong hire in passing over Orgeron even though the returns are early on Orgeron at LSU. Petros said that the reason USC didn't hire Orgeron is because he doesn't "speak the King's English" and isn't a country club guy and therefore didn't fit the highfalutin USC image.

tbf, Ed O is a perfect fit at lsu. A lot of success as a HC is fit. He may not have even gotten a tarmac courtesy fire at usc, but has lsu humming.

Derek Mason could be staring 0-5 in the SEC at Arkansas today.
I'm hoping he gets the win. I am very high on Mason and think he'd be a fantastic HC candidate for CU if the job opened up. But he's got to get to another bowl this year to keep himself viable.

Back