What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

You think Clemson would match what TT would pay for a HC? That’d be ridiculous.
TT can’t come close to covering the money Clemson would throw at Venables. He would have to leave his family in Clemson. They love the place and he has no head coaching responsibilities. I’m 15 minutes from Clemson. I see it all the time. Early on; he may have left. He’s vested in this place. Again; his kids are going to be at Clemson. He’s not muffing up what they built at Clemson to go to TT. The staff gives a crap about one another. Why do you think none of them have left?

TT can’t come close to covering the money Clemson would throw at Venables. He would have to leave his family in Clemson. They love the place and he has no head coaching responsibilities. I’m 15 minutes from Clemson. I see it all the time. Early on; he may have left. He’s vested in this place. Again; his kids are going to be at Clemson. He’s not muffing up what they built at Clemson to go to TT. The staff gives a crap about one another. Why do you think none of them have left?
At some point they will start leaving. If they keep passing on jobs, people will quit offering and their careers will stall.

As to matching money, at some point, they can’t start paying ACs head coach money. There is a number they won’t match.

Dabo has created a unique culture.

Kingsbury made 3.5 million guaranteed in 2017. BV made 1.7. Kliff’s salary is escalating towards a max of 5.5 in 2020 I believe. And Tech is paying that for someone who was a hope, not a proven commodity.

So maybe the intangibles would keep BV st Clemson, if he really doesn’t have that drive to be a HC. But as for the claim that the money alone would- that Tech “couldn’t touch” the money Clemson would offer- I say hogwash.

Last edited:
If you're going into your HC search with the attitude that the guy you hire will take the job in spite of the contract you're offering, it's probably not gonna work out. Louisville fans better get on their knees and pray that Brohm wants that job so badly that he wouldn't listen to a new contract offer from Purdue.

Footballscoop:
Louisville: Athletic director Vince Tyra shares that he has “fix to six” guys that he would consider on his shortlist, but notes that if money is their sticking point that “they won’t be our coach,” according to the Courier Journal. The article adds that he anticipates interviewing multiple candidates beginning Sunday and that one candidate on that shortlist is a minority. In the linked article, Tim Sullivan notes that Jeff Brohm’s buyout drops by $1.1 million (from $4.4M to $3.3M) after December 5th.

Doesn't help us in anyway if he does. Offset is only for a Head Coach position in college or any coaching position in the NFL (head or assistant).
This.

Well, technically - the reality is much different, because he the contract requires him to pursue college HC and NFL jobs - which you're not actually doing if you're interviewing for college DC jobs, and his contract with CU can be renegotiated.

Imagine the negotiation to change those terms:

MM: "I can take a $450k HC at G5 school X fulfilling the contract terms, or if you'll amend the language, I'll take this SEC $1.2MM DC job."

So which coaches might retire this year that would create some more openings in this years coaching carousel? Some of the older FBS coaches listed below (age in parentheses) and a couple with noted health issues that may lead to early retirement.

David Cutcliffe (64) - 11th season at Duke
Paul Johnson (61) - 11th season at GA Tech
Bill Snyder (79) - 27th season at KSU
Mark Dantonio (62) - 12th season at MSU
Kirk Ferentz (63) - 20th season at Iowa
Urban Meyer (54) - 7th season at OSU
Butch Davis (67) - 2nd season at FIU
Doc Holliday (61) - 9th season at Marshall
Terry Bowden (62) - 7th season at Akron
Frank Solich (74) - 14th season at Ohio
Mike Bobo (44) - 4th season at CSU
Bob Davie (64) - 7th season at New Mexico
Rocky Long (68) - 8th season at SDSU
Nick Saban (67) - 12th season at Alabama
Joe Moglia (69) - 6th season at Coastal Carolina

Imagine the chain reaction throughout the carousel if Saban decided to retire after another title and arguably his best team ever at Alabama.

So which coaches might retire this year that would create some more openings in this years coaching carousel? Some of the older FBS coaches listed below (age in parentheses) and a couple with noted health issues that may lead to early retirement.

David Cutcliffe (64) - 11th season at Duke
Paul Johnson (61) - 11th season at GA Tech
Bill Snyder (79) - 27th season at KSU
Mark Dantonio (62) - 12th season at MSU
Kirk Ferentz (63) - 20th season at Iowa
Urban Meyer (54) - 7th season at OSU
Butch Davis (67) - 2nd season at FIU
Doc Holliday (61) - 9th season at Marshall
Terry Bowden (62) - 7th season at Akron
Frank Solich (74) - 14th season at Ohio
Mike Bobo (44) - 4th season at CSU
Bob Davie (64) - 7th season at New Mexico
Rocky Long (68) - 8th season at SDSU
Nick Saban (67) - 12th season at Alabama
Joe Moglia (69) - 6th season at Coastal Carolina

Imagine the chain reaction throughout the carousel if Saban decided to retire after another title and arguably his best team ever at Alabama.
Oh man, if both Saban and Urban hang it up in the same offseason, adding to a possible (seemingly unlikely at this point) opening at USC... Three blue blood openings at once.

Saw a surprising rumor today about the opposite with the potential that Mack Brown comes out of retirement to take the North Carolina job.

MM won't be taking a DC job. He has value to a lot of programs who've tried and tried and tried to get somewhere in a turnaround. See GA Tech.

I don't think he's going to get a P5 HC job. Group of 5 HC or P5 assistant would be most likely-and I would bet if he went back to Ole Miss as their DC we'd probably have legal grounds for an offset.

Saw a surprising rumor today about the opposite with the potential that Mack Brown comes out of retirement to take the North Carolina job.

he had that job once before. i bet Mack can still work a room. and.....with FSU sucking he might actually beat the Noles this time around.

if i'm a heel football fan, not sure that's the hire i want, tho. Mack does very little actual coaching, i'm thinking. he's a show pony....all about his coordinator hires and his last ones at UT were pretty lousy with the "just go for it" longhorn check book.

I don't think he's going to get a P5 HC job. Group of 5 HC or P5 assistant would be most likely-and I would bet if he went back to Ole Miss as their DC we'd probably have legal grounds for an offset.
He was national coach of the year, and proved he can take a disaster and turn it into competent. Lots of places would take that as a first step after trying everything, serially to get out of the abyss. He's not damaged like Hawkins was damaged. Plenty of bottom dwellers out there that have tried the hot coordinator, the hot recruiter, the hot older guy, the hot younger guy and they still suck.

He was national coach of the year, and proved he can take a disaster and turn it into competent. Lots of places would take that as a first step after trying everything, serially to get out of the abyss. He's not damaged like Hawkins was damaged. Plenty of bottom dwellers out there that have tried the hot coordinator, the hot recruiter, the hot older guy, the hot younger guy and they still suck.
And with that, we're also entering that window of when realignment is going to happen so certain G5s with potential and certain P5s afraid of being left behind are considering their football programs with an eye to positioning themselves. HCMM has shown that within 3-5 years he will have your football program in good shape.

If I'm San Jose State, I bring him back tomorrow if he's interested in going back there.

giphy.gif

It’s such a shame we lost a national coach of the year. What in the heck was RG thinking of firing a national head coach of the year? I mean when was the last time CU had a national coach of the year? We lost such a great coach who stayed here rather than leave us for Baylor, LSU and Ole Miss. Just think of how many schools can’t wait to hire a recent national head coach of the year now that he is available.

It’s such a shame we lost a national coach of the year. What in the heck was RG thinking of firing a national head coach of the year? I mean when was the last time CU had a national coach of the year? We lost such a great coach who stayed here rather than leave us for Baylor, LSU and Ole Miss. Just think of how many schools can’t wait to hire a recent national head coach of the year now that he is available.

I hope that he has a host of suitors who wish to pay him $3.3 million per season.

Back