What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I get that Cristobal has former ties to Miami, but it seems like a bad decision to leave Oregon right now. He has them recruiting well and positioned to win big next year with Herbert coming back. Good momentum.

I get that Cristobal has former ties to Miami, but it seems like a bad decision to leave Oregon right now. He has them recruiting well and positioned to win big next year with Herbert coming back. Good momentum.
I cant imagine Miami is not his dream job. Opportunities like that only open up every so often. This year might be his only chance

The Miami admin supports athletics like they are Ball State. The boosters want the glory days. The history and talent level could support it but they have limited on-campus facilities and play 30 min away from campus for home games. It would take a heck of a coach to make it all work.

Yeah, can't see it happening. And honestly, don't think it would hurt Oregon at all like people seem to hope. Cristobal is at least a mediocre coach for as good of a recruiter as he is. I'm more interested in getting Kliff out of USC.

I cant imagine Miami is not his dream job. Opportunities like that only open up every so often. This year might be his only chance

Same thing that happened with Taggart. If you grew up in Florida and one of the big 3 jobs there becomes open and is offered to you ....

The Miami admin supports athletics like they are Ball State. The boosters want the glory days. The history and talent level could support it but they have limited on-campus facilities and play 30 min away from campus for home games. It would take a heck of a coach to make it all work.

Flip side is you’re seemingly never more than 100 yards away from a 5 star recruit no matter where you go in the city.

Yeah, can't see it happening. And honestly, don't think it would hurt Oregon at all like people seem to hope. Cristobal is at least a mediocre coach for as good of a recruiter as he is. I'm more interested in getting Kliff out of USC.
Yeah I dont think Cristobal is all that great. But 3 coaches in 3 years is never a good thing

Same thing that happened with Taggart. If you grew up in Florida and one of the big 3 jobs there becomes open and is offered to you ....
Yep. It's kind of like growing up in the I-35 corridor between Oklahoma City and Houston. If OU, UT or aTm open up those are the brass rings of your career path to fulfill the dream while delivering generational wealth for your family.

Cristobal to Miami and then Wilcox to Oregon might actually be a good thing for the Ducks. add $10 mil and they should hope it happens
It would be a good thing for the financials of the program, but after that it would be extremely detrimental. Any top recruit would look at them and say "they've had three coaches leave in 3 years, there's either something wrong with Oregon or the stability just might not exist for me to want to go there." That's how the mind of the 18 Year old would think imo.

Yep. It's kind of like growing up in the I-35 corridor between Oklahoma City and Houston. If OU, UT or aTm open up those are the brass rings of your career path to fulfill the dream while delivering generational wealth for your family.
I get the sentimental ties but he’s making a total base salary of $12.5 million at Oregon. That’s generational wealth already with the opportunity to make more by winning big. Richt’s making $8.3 million at Miami. Cristobal should look at Taggart as an example of what not to do.

Flip side is you’re seemingly never more than 100 yards away from a 5 star recruit no matter where you go in the city.

true--and 5 yards from him is his 'uncle' or street agent. No doubt the talent supports winning. Dade/Broward talent fuels FSU, UF, UCF, and USF as well. Howard Smellsofbourbon knew what he was doing wen he declared the "State of Miami" for recruiting borders.

I get the sentimental ties but he’s making a total base salary of $12.5 million at Oregon. That’s generational wealth already with the opportunity to make more by winning big. Richt’s making $8.3 million at Miami. Cristobal should look at Taggart as an example of what not to do.
I repeat DREAM JOB, DREAM JOB, DREAM JOB

I get the ties and I think he is a good coach, but Wilcox to Oregon seems too much like a forced fit.

If Holgorsen bolts WVU, I think Neal Brown would be a great hire.

I don’t disagree with you that that might be enough for him to take the job. My point is rather that he’s positioned for more success and money at Oregon.
Really depends on him and what he values in life. I wouldn't leave because I don't value one job over the other and my family would rather live in the western US than Florida. But if the U is his dream job and his family loves living in Florida, then it's probably too good of a chance to pass up since it may not ever come up again.

Put it this way, if I had a chance to be CEO of a strong company that was based on the Front Range in Colorado I would take that job over a company that was a little better positioned and located in a nice place that I didn't like as much. Even if the Colorado job didn't look quite as lucrative I wouldn't care because at a certain point it is Monopoly money and more money no longer buys more happiness/ a higher quality of life.

Nope, they can’t afford Franklin. And they ain’t going anywhere near Strong. Venables is all set. Likely Aranda too (maybe OU). That’s a step down for Cristobal. Campbell will get something bigger.

Flipping Diaz or getting Schiano seem reasonable. Maybe Tony Elliott. Gundy is interesting.
So much wrong here. There are still plenty of coaches who would love the Miami job.

Really depends on him and what he values in life. I wouldn't leave because I don't value one job over the other and my family would rather live in the western US than Florida. But if the U is his dream job and his family loves living in Florida, then it's probably too good of a chance to pass up since it may not ever come up again.

Put it this way, if I had a chance to be CEO of a strong company that was based on the Front Range in Colorado I would take that job over a company that was a little better positioned and located in a nice place that I didn't like as much. Even if the Colorado job didn't look quite as lucrative I wouldn't care because at a certain point it is Monopoly money and more money no longer buys more happiness/ a higher quality of life.
Fair enough. If he wants to settle down in Florida with his family, that makes sense.

Different scenario, but after Embree I'm just wary of those who alter a good career trajectory to go back to their alma mater. Kind of sad/messy when it doesn't work out and the fans turn on the coach.

Fair enough. If he wants to settle down in Florida with his family, that makes sense.

Different scenario, but after Embree I'm just wary of those who alter a good career trajectory to go back to their alma mater. Kind of sad/messy when it doesn't work out and the fans turn on the coach.
Why? Worked out well with Nebraska taking Frost.

....for us.

Back