What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

The risk, which they point out, is that your best coaches will get poached. No buyout, no loyalty.
That’s just the risk with coaches they currently have. What about attracting future assistants? Supposedly, UT is competing for elite assistants. Assuming the annual salary is the same, why would an elite assistant choose a 1 year deal at Texas over a 2 year deal at OU, USC, tOSU, UM, etc?

That’s just the risk with coaches they currently have. What about attracting future assistants? Supposedly, UT is competing for elite assistants. Assuming the annual salary is the same, why would an elite assistant choose a 1 year deal at Texas over a 2 year deal at OU, USC, tOSU, UM, etc?
They won't, and Herman will figure out that he is an arrogant idiot. Plus I would be telling every recruit to be ready for 4 position coaches in 4 years.

What a ****ing tool. I’d be on the first plane out of there to somewhere else.

This is a double edged sword-I'd want CMT poaching their assistants after next season, but there's a part of me that's kind of surprised at how much negativity I've seen in this thread for this idea because their situation isn't all that different from what we went through under FHCMM-People got too complacent after 2016 here. I think we can all say that a special group of young men (who were sick and tired of getting their asses kicked every week) pulled that off, and that staff got fat and happy that offseason and failed to capitalize.

I understand that different professions have different norms, but I've never had an employment contract. While I understand why someone desires a longer contract, it's hard for me to appreciate the pain of someone whose under a one year contract but wants even longer term security. especially when their salaries are integer multiples of mine.

I understand that different professions have different norms, but I've never had an employment contract. While I understand why someone desires a longer contract, it's hard for me to appreciate the pain of someone whose under a one year contract but wants even longer term security. especially when their salaries are integer multiples of mine.
Different industries, bub. Tom Herman is deciding to buck industry standards in this regard.

It has nothing to do with what you and I do for a living. I hate the "well at my job" argument when it comes to sports/entertainment.

Different industries, bub. Tom Herman is deciding to buck industry standards in this regard...
I acknowledged that in the first phrase of my post

It has nothing to do with what you and I do for a living. I hate the "well at my job" argument when it comes to sports/entertainment.
I wasn't trying to fuel an argument. I only stated that it's hard for me to appreciate their pain. Not sure there's anything to argue about with that.

I acknowledged that in the first phrase of my post

I wasn't trying to fuel an argument. I only stated that it's hard for me to appreciate their pain. Not sure there's anything to argue about with that.
You acknowledged it, but then you constructed an argument completely based on how you've never had a multi year contract.

You acknowledged it, but then you constructed an argument completely based on how you've never had a multi year contract.
What part of my post do you consider "an argument"? And what point do believe I'm arguing?

I just reread my post and confirmed I was only speaking to my feelings, not arguing anything. This feels like youre trying to pick a fight over something that isnt real.

What part of my post do you consider "an argument"? And what point do believe I'm arguing?

I just reread my post and confirmed I was only speaking to my feelings, not arguing anything. This feels like youre trying to pick a fight over something that isnt real.
I think you're definition of argument is far too narrow. Any time you put forth an opinion or assertion, you are offering an argument. You are offering your reasoning on why something is either right or wrong, correct or incorrect.

This is a double edged sword-I'd want CMT poaching their assistants after next season, but there's a part of me that's kind of surprised at how much negativity I've seen in this thread for this idea because their situation isn't all that different from what we went through under FHCMM-People got too complacent after 2016 here. I think we can all say that a special group of young men (who were sick and tired of getting their asses kicked every week) pulled that off, and that staff got fat and happy that offseason and failed to capitalize.

If CU had Texas' resources to pay assistants (and buy them out if needed), people would rightly call out the bull****. This is a stupid policy.

I think you're definition of argument is far too narrow. Any time you put forth an opinion or assertion, you are offering an argument. You are offering your reasoning on why something is either right or wrong, correct or incorrect.
so, when I type the words "...it's hard for me to appreciate the pain", what you actually read is something closer to "... I don't believe those people should be experiencing pain..."

your criteria doesn't meet the common definitions of 'argument', but for benefit of our future interactions on Allbuffs, it's good to know that you'll interpret introspective statements of feelings differently than I'm used to seeing.

so, when I type the words "...it's hard for me to appreciate the pain", what you actually read is something closer to "... I don't believe those people should be experiencing pain..."

your criteria doesn't meet the common definitions of 'argument', but for benefit of our future interactions on Allbuffs, it's good to know that you'll interpret introspective statements of feelings differently than I'm used to seeing.
Do you, Hokie.

If CU had Texas' resources to pay assistants (and buy them out if needed), people would rightly call out the bull****. This is a stupid policy.

We had the resources to get rid of hacks like Jeffcoat and Bernardi-FHCMM chose not to on the latter, and only got rid of the former when he had to.

Good hire for them, especially since Heyward was considered to be a lock to be promoted. We wanted that to happen.
I think Heyward and Salave'a have paid their dues, how much longer do they wait before jumping for a promotion elsewhere? Still think Avalos is a stark contrast from throwing a ****-ton of money around at a guy who was given a ton of credit for a defensive turnaround that lead to a Pac-12 foe winning the Pac-12 South, not to mention his other experience.

Could be a good thing, I guess, to go for a young up-and-comer this time around given Leavitt's issues but seems like greater risk and reward there. Especially when you deny your best assistants a promotion.

Who remembers Avalos as a GA here under Hawkins? Not sure I see him as a riding superstar, and is affront to the existing staff.

High risk high reward at a time that I wonder if it's warranted.

I think Heyward and Salave'a have paid their dues, how much longer do they wait before jumping for a promotion elsewhere? Still think Avalos is a stark contrast from throwing a ****-ton of money around at a guy who was given a ton of credit for a defensive turnaround that lead to a Pac-12 foe winning the Pac-12 South, not to mention his other experience.

Could be a good thing, I guess, to go for a young up-and-comer this time around given Leavitt's issues but seems like greater risk and reward there. Especially when you deny your best assistants a promotion.

I agree on Salave'a, but a promotion for Heyward seemed strange from the beginning. His resume is... light. Which P5 teams are really clamoring for him as their DC?

Avalos really seems to be on the rise and a good fit.

I agree on Salave'a, but a promotion for Heyward seemed strange from the beginning. His resume is... light. Which P5 teams are really clamoring for him as their DC?

Avalos really seems to be on the rise and a good fit.
I'm sure a ton of Oregon State fans wanted him as DC last season, Oregon's program/fans have always been really high on him and he received the Co-DC promotion a year or two ago so he's always been seen as a rising star there. Apparently Heyward was even calling the plays the last couple games last season. It didn't surprise me at all that he seemed to be a lock for their DC gig, but I guess you never know with these things. Avalos has the DC experience, but if you weren't going to throw a bunch of money at a big name (which leaving it this late probably made it near impossible anyways), I figured a promotion made more sense.

Back