What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 coaching carousel

I thought it was weird to see Wilner defending Alford so much last night. Yes he has made 3 sweet 16s in 5 years there but one was a fluke where they shouldn't have even been in the tourney. It seems weird for him to criticize the conference for not doing well but then accept mediocrity from the league's top basketball program all because some coaches are going to get in trouble with the FBI/NCAA. Making sweet 16s at UCLA should not be enough to keep your job IMO.

I wouldn't be shocked if they kept him one more year-I've seen they've got a pretty solid class coming in, and they did spend $9-10m IIRC to get rid of Jim Mora Jr.

It is all in name only. Several of my former students went to Pepperdine had to transfer out because there’s a serious drug culture there. It is a party school with a religious veneer.

Seems like the kind of place drug use could take off. It's got lots of rich kids that are physically distant from a conventional bar/party district.

One of my faves from childhood but that seems like a real stretch for a hire
Yes and no. 3 straight state titles as a HS basketball coach, so he's been paying his dues on the sideline. Usually when you see these legacy stars like Clyde at Houston or Mullins at St. John's they have gone straight from celebrity to the HC job. I think Penny could do well.

One of my faves from childhood but that seems like a real stretch for a hire

I think Penny needs an associate coach with previous HC experience......Andy Kennedy would be perfect in that role. He understands that part of the country and has been a head coach in a Power 7 conference. A couple more fills that have some impact on us-Sorry if these made it up here already-hoopdirt is my source on both......Charlotte hired Virginia Associate HC Ron Sanchez.....which is probably good for us because I expect Washington State to go get somebody with ties to Tony Bennett (who is easily the most successful coach in the history of their program) when they move on from Ernie Kent. Missouri State hired some dude (Paul Ford?) from Tennessee State-so no Kim English there, which is good news. ESPN continues to discuss Sean Miller, according to hoopdirt-Jeff Goodman continues to put forth the notion that he's leaving for Pitt if they want him.........and they'll deal with the consequences of the FBI investigation later.

I think Penny needs an associate coach with previous HC experience......Andy Kennedy would be perfect in that role. He understands that part of the country and has been a head coach in a Power 7 conference. A couple more fills that have some impact on us-Sorry if these made it up here already-hoopdirt is my source on both......Charlotte hired Virginia Associate HC Ron Sanchez.....which is probably good for us because I expect Washington State to go get somebody with ties to Tony Bennett (who is easily the most successful coach in the history of their program) when they move on from Ernie Kent. Missouri State hired some dude (Paul Ford?) from Tennessee State-so no Kim English there, which is good news. ESPN continues to discuss Sean Miller, according to hoopdirt-Jeff Goodman continues to put forth the notion that he's leaving for Pitt if they want him.........and they'll deal with the consequences of the FBI investigation later.

Dana Ford at Missouri St. Former Wichita & Il St assistant before head man at Tennessee St. He recruited guys like Van Vleet & Baker.

Welp add Louisville to the coaching search. Padgett was told he wouldn't be coming back according to ESPN.

Not a shock-I could see Padgett getting himself involved at CSU, Fresno, and Utah State.........he'd be a candidate at Nevada if Musselman were to leave this offseason, but I wonder if the Wild Man is waiting for UCLA to can Steve Alford. I don't see the big name openings we've got right now being alluring enough to him.

Sean Miller said he isn't interested in the Pitt job but apparently met with the AD there.:unsure:

Translation: She thought he was too big a risk. I think the odds of Arizona getting the death penalty are higher than the odds of Miller leaving there for another gig. He's most likely fired for cause.

Good hire by UConn. They got the second best coach in the family. ASU will have #3 for another year before Bobby jumps somewhere.
Yeah. It's a damn shame that St. Anthony's shut its doors. What dad built there is something that will probably never be duplicated on the HS level.

Danny had a lot of success at the HS level himself in NYC, I believe. He's got all the right contacts for recruiting the NY-NJ hotbed and get UConn back on top.

Hell, the recruiting class he had coming to Rhode Island next year would make most power conference programs envious.

Yeah. It's a damn shame that St. Anthony's shut its doors. What dad built there is something that will probably never be duplicated on the HS level.

Danny had a lot of success at the HS level himself in NYC, I believe. He's got all the right contacts for recruiting the NY-NJ hotbed and get UConn back on top.

Hell, the recruiting class he had coming to Rhode Island next year would make most power conference programs envious.

Danny was HC at St Benedict's in NJ - not sure if it's the same league as his dad, but they have definitely played against one another. He had a lot of success at St Benedict's, but to be fair, that is quite the HS to be coaching at. JR Smith and Lance Thomas are notable former players, and I'm sure there are many others.

Danny was HC at St Benedict's in NJ - not sure if it's the same league as his dad, but they have definitely played against one another. He had a lot of success at St Benedict's, but to be fair, that is quite the HS to be coaching at. JR Smith and Lance Thomas are notable former players, and I'm sure there are many others.
That's right. Thanks.

St. Anthony's and St. Benedict's are both basically across the bridge from NYC (Manhattan & Brooklyn) near Hoboken. STA was in Jersey City. STB is in Newark.

Seems like a mediocre gore for CSU esp since they are on the hook for another buyout

Seems like a mediocre gore for CSU esp since they are on the hook for another buyout

Doesn't have much of a track record-took Furman from 9 to 23 wins last year before leaving there for Drake, and his Drake team (who we beat in Virginia mind you) went 17-17. Season finished Sunday in Greeley. I think he's shown he can win with other people's players, but I don't think he's a proven recruiter. Doesn't seem like the type to pull the nonsense that got Larry Eustachy in trouble up there from what I know.........but kind of a boring hire. Ramnation doesn't like it-but they thought they were hiring Jeff Linder (who has done a tremendous job in the two years he's been in Greeley).

Doesn't have much of a track record-took Furman from 9 to 23 wins last year before leaving there for Drake, and his Drake team (who we beat in Virginia mind you) went 17-17. Season finished Sunday in Greeley. I think he's shown he can win with other people's players, but I don't think he's a proven recruiter. Doesn't seem like the type to pull the nonsense that got Larry Eustachy in trouble up there from what I know.........but kind of a boring hire. Ramnation doesn't like it-but they thought they were hiring Jeff Linder (who has done a tremendous job in the two years he's been in Greeley).

You'll never believe this, but Matt Stephens disagrees.

Back