What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 CU NFL Draft & Free Agency Thread

Sproles was thicker and had better top end speed. Love speedy, but I don't think he compares favorably to sproles unless you are talking about pass blocking.

Sproles was thicker and had better top end speed. Love speedy, but I don't think he compares favorably to sproles unless you are talking about pass blocking.
Yeah I always remembered Sproles being thicker, but looking it up he was only 190, but at 5'6" that's pretty thick. I think Lindsay can get to that weight and be comparable to what Sproles was. Not sure what Sproles ran his 40 in, but even a hand time 4.39 is plenty fast to be in that kind of role.

He's very similar to Sproles as a pass catcher. Sproles had the reputation of having exceptional speed, but I think Lindsay's 40 time yesterday put him in a similar category. Here's another comparison: Eric Bienemy.

Lindsay is short. That’s pretty much the only knock. He catches, he’s got speed, he blocks, he gets yards after contact, he avoids initial tacklers, he doesn’t fumble, and he’s the hardest working guy in the room.

Height isn’t an important thing for RBs. Being shorter is sometimes an advantage even in short yardage because the back can hide behind those behemoths on the OL.

Lindsay is short. That’s pretty much the only knock. He catches, he’s got speed, he blocks, he gets yards after contact, he avoids initial tacklers, he doesn’t fumble, and he’s the hardest working guy in the room.

Height isn’t an important thing for RBs. Being shorter is sometimes an advantage even in short yardage because the back can hide behind those behemoths on the OL.
l'm less concerned with his height and more with him weighing in at 184 lbs. Even for a change-of-pace, 3rd down, pass catching RB, that is light. Hopefully there is one team out there that thinks everything he brings to the table is worth a late round flyer and that they can get him to put on another 10-15 lbs.

l'm less concerned with his height and more with him weighing in at 184 lbs. Even for a change-of-pace, 3rd down, pass catching RB, that is light. Hopefully there is one team out there that thinks everything he brings to the table is worth a late round flyer and that they can get him to put on another 10-15 lbs.
I suspect he slimmed down a bit to post that 40 and he’ll play at 5-10 lbs heavier

Lindsay stated in the video when asked what he is hearing from (nfl scouts) "some want me to be a slot"

With his limitations of size could this be the approach Lindsay should take to get his best opportunity in the NFL? Probably more comps at Slot WR/APB than feature RB. Come on Broncos and Draft this guy....put the Isaiah McKenzie (5'7" 173) debacle to rest

Quizz Rodgers 5'6" 195 RB
TY Hilton 5'9" 180
Steve Smith 5'9" 195
Antonio Brown 5'10" 180
Tyreek Hill 5'10" 185
Randall Cobb 5'10 190
Emmanuel Sanders 5'11" 180
Danny Amendola 5'11" 190

Lindsay stated in the video when asked what he is hearing from (nfl scouts) "some want me to be a slot"

With his limitations of size could this be the approach Lindsay should take to get his best opportunity in the NFL? Probably more comps at Slot WR/APB than feature RB. Come on Broncos and Draft this guy....put the Isaiah McKenzie (5'7" 173) debacle to rest

Quizz Rodgers 5'6" 195 RB
TY Hilton 5'9" 180
Steve Smith 5'9" 195
Antonio Brown 5'10" 180
Tyreek Hill 5'10" 185
Randall Cobb 5'10 190
Emmanuel Sanders 5'11" 180
Danny Amendola 5'11" 190

In his favor he has shown in the opportunities he has had that he can catch the ball in traffic, that he can catch and hold on with contact, that he can catch the ball and transition into YAC mode, and that he will fight through and get to the ball In traffic which even when he can't catch the ball reduces the chance of an INT.

Ultimately his future in the league is going to depend on what he can do on special teams though and his toughness will help him a lot in that area even though he is small.

I really think he'll get drafted as a third down back type, especially with how great of a blocker he is. At one point in the season IIRC according to PFF he was 100% picking up blitzes. I think that cancels out some of his size concern and gets him picked because there aren't a lot of third down backs who you can rely on in max protection situations like that.

Image of Taz from the 247s newsletter just now. As we'd have all expected, Phil looks like he has given it all he has in training to take his best shot.
6_8203169.jpg

Damn, beyond impressive.......here's a man who is very comfortable in own his skin; in complete command. Isaiah must blow the folks right out of the room in his NFL job interviews.

I think an optimistic, yet reasonable comparison for Lindsay is Napolean Kaufman. Similar height, weight, speed and toughness. Similar size related questions by scouts.

Napolean was 5'8.5", 182 .. similar college stats at UW, and had a nice career with the Raiders before retiring early to become a minister. Phil won't be a first rounder but Napolean shouldn't have been either...

Kaufman did 24 bench reps vs 14, but Phil timed better in the 40 (4.48 vs 4.39). Vertical 38 to 35. Both highly versatile but I think there's a perception that Phil isn't quite the freak that someone like Kaufman was.

I think the pro day will change perceptions. Maybe 6th round? He'd be a steal.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Napoleon&l=Kaufman&i=23619

He's very similar to Sproles as a pass catcher. Sproles had the reputation of having exceptional speed, but I think Lindsay's 40 time yesterday put him in a similar category. Here's another comparison: Eric Bienemy.

It was funny when Darian Hagan called Bienemy "a rugged little pig".

Back