What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Advanced Stats Thread

User error versus random bad luck. User error is inherent in the rating of the offense. Random bad luck I can excuse.
Either play would have gone for 40+ yards regardless of the reason. In essence I was agreeing with your post that the offensive ranking could have easily been higher.

I think the D will improve during the year, hell, it better. New system and all that, takes time, sometimes. I don't think it'll rank much better than 70s or 80s, though.

Here's the linky to the summary on ESPN (I know, I know). However, one thing is abundantly clear: It's not going to be a very fun day for the red-clad faithful in Lincoln next week.

Interesting that CU performed as well as they did this last weekend against the #16 defense.

Here's the Total/Off/Def/ST rankings for our remaining schedule (as posted above, CU is Total: 55th Offense: 11th Defense: 113th Special Teams: 10th)

TeamTotal RankOffense RankDefense RankSpecial Teams Rank
Arizona36610292
Oregon13484119
WSU2348032
USC31185242
UCLA785787105
Stanford881045393
UW9152313
Utah22283469

Through 4 weeks, CU's faced current 101 (CSU), 35 (nubs), 49 (AF) and 39 (ASU). The highest rated O belongs to nubs (30), highest rated D is ASUs (16th).

Here's the linky to the summary on ESPN (I know, I know). However, one thing is abundantly clear: It's not going to be a very fun day for the red-clad faithful in Lincoln next week.

Interesting that CU performed as well as they did this last weekend against the #16 defense.

Here's the Total/Off/Def/ST rankings for our remaining schedule (as posted above, CU is Total: 55th Offense: 11th Defense: 113th Special Teams: 10th)

TeamTotal RankOffense RankDefense RankSpecial Teams Rank
Arizona36610292
Oregon13484119
WSU2348032
USC31185242
UCLA785787105
Stanford881045393
UW9152313
Utah22283469

Through 4 weeks, CU's faced current 101 (CSU), 35 (nubs), 49 (AF) and 39 (ASU). The highest rated O belongs to nubs (30), highest rated D is ASUs (16th).
Interesting that we're pretty much the same as UA but with better STs. Oregon is getting it done with defense and not offense.

Worth remembering at this point that a good deal of that 55th ranking is still made up of the preseason projection. We were projected 69th, so we're probably playing in the low 40s or maybe even the high 30s so far. As the sample size grows, he removes a little more of the preseason projections each week.

Up to 48 in latest SP+ rankings:

Offense-7
Defense-113
Special Teams-5

This team is going to give heart attacks all year long. A team with the 7th ranked offense can beat anyone in any given day. A team with the 113th ranked defense can lose to anyone any given day.

Hopefully the defense gets better as the year goes along. A mediocre defense makes this team really tough to beat.

Reddit is amazing. Win probabilities:

1569858158278.png

coin flip for a bowl game basically. That Oregon game could get real ugly. Only hope for us there is that our weakness in the secondary isn't their strength. Otherwise, yeesh. Also, has us as a slight underdog v UA this week. on the other hand, a near 70% win probability against furd is crazy.

View attachment 31828

coin flip for a bowl game basically. That Oregon game could get real ugly. Only hope for us there is that our weakness in the secondary isn't their strength. Otherwise, yeesh. Also, has us as a slight underdog v UA this week. on the other hand, a near 70% win probability against furd is crazy.

Coin flip? I read that chart as saying there's a 63.4% chance we go to a bowl.

Coin flip? I read that chart as saying there's a 63.4% chance we go to a bowl.
expected wins is at 5.9 whatever on the bottom right, so that's weird. But you are right, the maths on the bottom add up to that.

View attachment 31828

That's pretty cool. do they archive the spread so we can see what the previous weeks look like? Track it each week?

That's pretty cool. do they archive the spread so we can see what the previous weeks look like? Track it each week?
I'm sure someone does somewhere, but I aint doin the work to find out. IIRC, SP+ is usually around 55% ATS

SP+ is confusing on methodology. Not sure how/why programs like Miss State are ranked so high.

Back