What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Buff football in retrospect

aghcsm

Some thoughts on the recently concluded season:

- we were fortunate to beat ASU in Tempe (best win of the season)
- we were most unfortunate to lose to AZ in Boulder (worst loss of the season - cost us a bowl game)
- losing to Air Force and USC at home didn’t have to happen, but both were better than the Buffs so not unexpected
- all other game outcomes were in accordance with the caliber of this year’s team and each opponent, given a touchdown or two advantage to the home team.

I realize the following statement sounds negative, not intended that way - but I saw no difference in the outcome of the season based on the new coaching staff. Could the previous coach perhaps have done worse? Sure - Does this mean MT is taking us nowhere? Absolutely not, I think there’s significant upside potential over the next few years. But it may take another couple of years before recruiting and culture bear fruit. I’m optimistic overall, but thinking it could be a rough year or two coming up.

If it is a rough year or two (especially) coming up, we have the wrong coach IMO.

Really not sure why so many are scared about next season.

No viska and qb? The offense only scored 14 pts or more in the 2nd half 3 times this season. Two of those were the csu and fusker games to start season.

Safety is a concern, got to shore that up quickly.

These players and coaches have got to find a way to win 6 ****ing games, enough losing and 5-7 seasons talking about the games we should have won.

No viska and qb? The offense only scored 14 pts or more in the 2nd half 3 times this season. Two of those were the csu and ****er games to start season.

Safety is a concern, got to shore that up quickly.

These players and coaches have got to find a way to win 6 ****ing games, enough losing and 5-7 seasons talking about the games we should have won.

We didn't have a QB this season.

We didn't have a QB this season.

It's a crapshoot going into next year with Lytle, Stenstrom, and a true Freshman from TX 4A football. I'd guess that the staff has been looking for a Sr grad transfer pretty hard and they'd be crazy not to. There's a big kid from Maine that's getting a lot of attention but he will likely be hard to get. The QB question is the biggest variable for 2020; and I know I'm being Capt. Obvious......

Frustrating season

Should've beaten Zoomies, AZ, USC

8-4 and off to a nice mid-tier bowl

Uncompetitive bad losses to WSU & UCLA as they are trash teams no better than us

Next year no more excuses

CSU & Fresno State should be automatic wins, A&M away probable loss

Pac12 Home (Arizona State, Oregon, UCLA, Utah, Washington State) - Should be aiming at 4 wins ... Utah will take a step back next year with no Huntley & Moss. ASU, UCA, WSU very winnable
Pac12 Away (Arizona, Stanford, USC, Washington) - USC/Washington hard other two winnable

7 wins next year before schedule opens up for a 10 win year in 2021 :cool:

QB situation next year is a worry though

Defense came on strong the second half of the season. I fully expect a huge improvement next year. The improvements throughout the season was nothing like we saw under MM. We saw regression with him, we saw improvement with MT.
Washington was a pretty quality win as well. Ended 9 game losing streak to them. While they are down, they are still a solid program. They almost beat Utah a couple weeks ago and their game vs Oregon was close.

The Arizona loss was bad.
The Air Force loss was poor. The Stanford and Washington wins were unexpected. Looking forward to seeing if momentum can be maintained.

We are going to have some frustrating games next year with young guys in key positions but no we should not take a step back.

We will be younger at QB (assuming Lewis starts) but it isn't like the guy we had made decisions like an experienced guy. We lose our best playmaker (one of the best playmakers in the nation) but between injuries and our inability to effectively utilize him that won't be as big a loss as would be expected. None of our WRs coming back are Viska but combined we have some guys who used correctly can be playmakers.

With a better OL we should see more big plays from Fontenot, bigger is that if Clayton is as advertised we will now have a true home run threat at RB.

Brings the big difference. I expect us to be better (not great but better) on the OL.

Defensively I also expect us to be better. If Mustafa comes back we will have a deeper and more experienced unit. Mustafa was hurt much of the year, Lang came on the second half of the year, Sami as a freshman was better than Edwards was the year before. Next year he will come in with experience and we should be deeper behind him to keep him fresh.

This isn't even including the potential additions of Harris and Alfano (is he is immediately eligible.)

If Landman goes pro he will be missed but the rest of the LBs are young and getting better.

We will still be paper thin at safety but our CBs have to be healthier. This year was survival at the position.

Overall I don't know if my Kool-aid got spiked but I'm believing that we have the right guy in Mel Tucker and I am seeing a transition in our roster to one that can compete.

Schedule isn't easy next year but we should be bowling at the end of the year.

The Arizona loss was bad.
The Air Force loss was poor. The Stanford and Washington wins were unexpected. Looking forward to seeing if momentum can be maintained.
My take is that after losing 5 straight, it seemed like Stanford and Washington were upsets. But Stanford ended 4-8 and Washington 6-6, and we had both at home. Yes Washington had some talent but no motivation. In retrospect, beating both was not that surprising.

If it is a rough year or two (especially) coming up, we have the wrong coach IMO.

Really not sure why so many are scared about next season.
Maybe, defense definitely straightened out late in season. QB is unknown but doesn’t have to be bad. Gary Barnett commented after Utah that the 2nd year is typically the worst year for a new coach (not completely sure why). 3rd year should be on the way up but MT recruits will still be young. 3rd year is important but 4th year is my determining point for whether we’ve got the right coach.

Maybe, defense definitely straightened out late in season. QB is unknown but doesn’t have to be bad. Gary Barnett commented after Utah that the 2nd year is typically the worst year for a new coach (not completely sure why). 3rd year should be on the way up but MT recruits will still be young. 3rd year is important but 4th year is my determining point for whether we’ve got the right coach.

It all comes down to definitions. If "rough" means non-bowl seasons, I think expecting until year four for a bowl is way too patient.

Disagree only because for the past decade, every conference win has been a little surprising
Also significant because arguably a lot of our recent past teams would have quit after losing five in a row and not competed well enough to win.

Against Utah we got overwhelmed by a much better team but for the most part this team didn't quit despite adversity.

Hope springs eternal.

Any given Saturday, underdogs pull off wins. Less known teams pull off great seasons. Teams get the right coach, culture, and players to have an exciting season, and sometimes more than a shooting star season.
Thats what “there’s always next year” really means, and there always is.

We’re Buff fans, and we support our team.

Show everyone what we’re capable of next year boys.

Back