What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Buffs Football hype thread

Help me understand how he has outside skills, but is so small that the throwing window and the options are smaller and thus outside throws are harder. Felt like Montez and Nixon struggled to get on the same page with long throws?
Can't remember who posted it, but there was a PFF tweet that ranked returning receivers in the PAC on deep throws. KD was actually the most efficient deep throw receiver in the PAC last year for returning players. I think we, as fans, just noticed the incompletions and missteps more often because we were so aware of his height for an outside guy to begin with.

Can't remember who posted it, but there was a PFF tweet that ranked returning receivers in the PAC on deep throws. KD was actually the most efficient deep throw receiver in the PAC last year for returning players. I think we, as fans, just noticed the incompletions and missteps more often because we were so aware of his height for an outside guy to begin with.

K.D. has good hands too. The one handed grab versus Oregon State convinced me of that. If I remember correctly, most of the missed connections were from Montez over or under throwing him.

K.D. has good hands too. The one handed grab versus Oregon State convinced me of that. If I remember correctly, most of the missed connections were from Montez over or under throwing him.
Yeah I suspect that's part of his high grade. Lot of over throws didn't count against him.

The bad rap for KD solely sits around his lack of height. He has straight line speed to blow the top off and that is extremely valuable in football. KD is fine where he is at and think if used properly will have a good season. I think he would be a good kick returner as well

Last edited:
He rarely got open on those deep balls and the window to do that is much smaller when he has a step on a DB then if Arias had that step. And KD is not THAT fast. Doesn't blow the top off too many.

The bad rap for KD solely sits around his lack of height. He has straight line speed to blow the top off and that is extremely valuable in football. KD is fine where he is at and think if used properly will have a good season. I think he would be a good kick returner as well
Jeremy Bloom says hello!

KD helps stretch defenses and will make the occasional great play over the top. He is good for what he does, but I don’t see him as a next level player.

A lot of balls thrown his way where he's covered don't lie
Again, the numbers, grades and production say otherwise. I think you're correct in saying the window is smaller with him than a bigger receiver, forcing the QB to be more accurate, but KD is plenty fast enough (a very WTF statement on your part) and took long passes over the top a number of times last year.

Last edited:
KD is good at long throws if he has his guy beat and Montez throws a lofty catchable ball that drops in (which all receivers would be). The hard part for me were the fades in the endzone, and the lack of back shoulder and jump ball throws! (I hope the Mannings are teaching Steven how to THROW THE RECEIVER OPEN!)

Arias is a beast that is both tall and fast, which has NFL written all over him. Again, I like, borderline, love KD because he is a bulldog and a spirited leader, but reality is reality. The best thing that Arias did to catch my attention was as a Punt Gunner where he would smoke his guy and arrive at the returner as or even before he would catch it. He is smooth fast.

KD is good at long throws if he has his guy beat and Montez throws a lofty catchable ball that drops in (which all receivers would be). The hard part for me were the fades in the endzone, and the lack of back shoulder and jump ball throws! (I hope the Mannings are teaching Steven how to THROW THE RECEIVER OPEN!)

Arias is a beast that is both tall and fast, which has NFL written all over him. Again, I like, borderline, love KD because he is a bulldog and a spirited leader, but reality is reality. The best thing that Arias did to catch my attention was as a Punt Gunner where he would smoke his guy and arrive at the returner as or even before he would catch it. He is smooth fast.
Basically, KD isn't going to win a 50/50 ball. Just about every other receiver on our team has a better chance of winning a jump ball. KD is fine on a fly route, deep ball, but he should not be getting red zone fades thrown to him, ever.

Again, the numbers, grades and production say otherwise. I think you're correct in saying the window is smaller with him than a bigger receiver, forcing the QB to be more accurate, but KD is plenty fast enough (a very WTF statement on your part) and took long passes over the top a number of times last year.
Explain how the numbers explain anything. Compared to whom? How many times could he not get open and do the numbers show that?

Well, I'd hope KD worked on his release, especially against teams that play press man sometimes. Being able to get into your route quickly is huge. If he can do that, it'll open up a lot of stuff for him, and the offense as a whole. They back off, depending on the look, you can work the tree. If it isn't him that does that, put somebody in that can. He has an opportunity, and I hope he makes the most of it.

I dont know how someone can be short and fast, but not quick. It literally makes no sense to me. If you are KDs size, you have to move your legs faster to run at the same speed as a taller person. And being quick and being able to change directions is all about moving your legs faster, isnt it? Can someone explain this to me?

I dont know how someone can be short and fast, but not quick. It literally makes no sense to me. If you are KDs size, you have to move your legs faster to run at the same speed as a taller person. And being quick and being able to change directions is all about moving your legs faster, isnt it? Can someone explain this to me?
It’s lateral agility. That’s a complete different skill than straight line speed.

I actually think he’s fairly quick but just loses his balance and goes down relatively easily upon contact. By all accounts, he works his ass off, so maybe that’ll change this year.

It is a different skill set. Not every 4.4 corner with great closing speed has the change of direction to be a good cover corner.

Can't wait to see the work that those newcomers from last season put in during the spring & summer. It was impressive what Viska & KD were able to show last year after their first full year in the S&C program.

The players I'm looking forward to seeing are: Arias, Musfa Johnson, Lang, and Fontenot.

And shouldn't Sparaco be a DE instead of an ILB?

This just goes to show how misleading stats can be. Guarantee nobody thinks kd nixon is the best deep ball threat in college football, or even close
The stat is for the Pac 12 only and it’s passer rating on those 20+ yard throws, so it speaks more to the efficiency when they do go deep to KD. It’s science.

Back