What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Buffs Football hype thread

I agree. I like his potential as a playmaker, just hope the coaches can carve out a good role for him.

Carving out a role is a great way to put it.

When KD can get the ball in open field he is a threat. He is more explosive than fast (fast enough but more explosive,)

Problem is that he isn't a guy who is going to make a lot happen when he is covered. Seems like against some teams he just couldn't get that space that allowed him to get the ball where he could impact.

I'd like to see somebody like Arias step up into the #2 WR position who because of his size is more of able to catch balls in tight spaces and be that reliable guy on 3rd downs or on the faster developing stuff.

Use KD as a guy to open up the field and stretch defenses.

people obsess about the timing of plays. I think the research (from what I recall) shows being "clutch" isn't really a thing. Mostly, everyone makes plays at the rate they make plays. Clutch players tend to be labeled clutch because they have a high rate of success, not because they have a higher rate than they normally would during crunch time.

Arguing he failed in that game is a tall order, especially since he's a receiver.

For me, the Oregon State and Arizona games mostly boil down to poor pass defense. In six quarters and an OT (starting at halftime of the OSU game), the pass defense gave up 650+ yards and eight (!!!) TDs. Straight up garbage.

He went for 200 and 2 TDs. I have trouble saying he did not make enough plays to win that game.
This gets to my point, though. He’s great when nothing is on the line. Am I being unfair? Yeah, probably. As I said, this is all just my perception.

And I hope nobody is actually of the opinion that I’m blaming the OSU loss on Nixon. That’s absurd.

For me, the Oregon State and Arizona games mostly boil down to poor pass defense. In six quarters and an OT (starting at halftime of the OSU game), the pass defense gave up 650+ yards and eight (!!!) TDs. Straight up garbage.

WR is a position that is highly dependent on other players, they need a QB to get them the ball where they can do something with it, they need the OL to give that QB time, they need a system and a coordinator that work to their strengths and puts the ball in their hands. It helps to have other players on the field who draw attention away from them.

Some WRs have a talent set that works in a much wider variety of situations than others. A guy like Viska would probably be a star in almost any system. Guys like DT and Megatron thrived in the system at Georgia Tech.

KD adds a lot to this team. He is fun to watch with the ball in his hands, he is one of those guys who every time he touches the ball you kind of move forward in the seat ready for something big to happen.

We have to though remember with him that for him to be successful he needs things to be right around him. Second half of last year we had a lot of game when things weren't working and in those games KD wasn't much of a factor.

The only thing worse than our pass rush was our pass coverage. I don't think I've ever seen it look that bad with an FBS team outside of those programs like Oklahoma and Texas Tech where the offense goes so fast that their defense gets gassed and loses all competency.

The only thing worse than our pass rush was our pass coverage. I don't think I've ever seen it look that bad with an FBS team outside of those programs like Oklahoma and Texas Tech where the offense goes so fast that their defense gets gassed and loses all competency.

Tate had 350 yards on 22 attempts.:eek:

This gets to my point, though. He’s great when nothing is on the line. Am I being unfair? Yeah, probably. As I said, this is all just my perception.
It's weird how perception and narratives work, he actually made a great one-handed catch in the clutch against OSU when everyone else was ****ting the bed. By all accounts, it should've been in our highlight reel forever as a clutch moment where he saved us from embarrassment. 25 unanswered from OSU and a 3 point game with the team absolutely ****ting it, but with 4:56 left, a TD wins the game - he makes this catch to put us on the 15 (and film really doesn't do this or Winfree's catch in the game justice) and presumably hand us back momentum, I really thought he'd saved our ass with some **** he'd pulled from one of his Odell Beckham binges.

15 yards was unfortunately asking too much to save us from embarrassment when we put it in the hands of our run game and OL. Now it gets forgotten in favor of a drop in an OT that should've never happened nor been put on the back of a guy that carried us all game.

It's weird how perception and narratives work, he actually made a great one-handed catch in the clutch against OSU when everyone else was ****ting the bed. By all accounts, it should've been in our highlight reel forever as a clutch moment where he saved us from embarrassment. 25 unanswered from OSU and a 3 point game with the team absolutely ****ting it, but with 4:56 left, a TD wins the game - he makes this catch to put us on the 15 (and film really doesn't do this or Winfree's catch in the game justice) and presumably hand us back momentum, I really thought he'd saved our ass with some **** he'd pulled from one of his Odell Beckham binges.

15 yards was unfortunately asking too much to save us from embarrassment when we put it in the hands of our run game and OL. Now it gets forgotten in favor of a drop in an OT that should've never happened nor been put on the back of a guy that carried us all game.

And, I tend to forget how difficult it is to even see a ball while wearing a helmet and pads. Tunnel vision, limited range of motion, and all that. That he, or anyone in the game, catches balls thrown at velocity with equipment on remains unbelievable to me.

New free Q&A with S&C coach, Drew Wilson:

Drew Wilson is a good interview (and Adam a good interviewer), so what is usually an off-season fluff piece instead has some interesting info.

My takeaways:
  • More football focused meetings this summer than in the past, without sacrificing S&C. A result of better time management.
  • New GPS tech implemented that allows them to push players to their limits and avoid pushing those recovering from injury too hard. I’m sure Tucker learned this and the above point at places like Georgia and Alabama.
  • Laviska doesn’t squat all spring then squats 405 right away this summer (BEAST).
  • Wilson alluded to the fact that under the last staff, he used to be told to get way undersized recruits to playing weight, which was unfeasible (e.g. they’d need to gain 60lbs). Much easier to bring in guys like Austin Williams, who is now at 330 (down 7 lbs already). Wilson thinks he’ll be a special player.

Last edited:
New free Q&A with S&C coach, Drew Wilson:

Drew Wilson is a good interview (and Adam a good interviewer), so what is usually an off-season fluff piece instead has some interesting info.

My takeaways:
  • More football focused meetings this summer than in the past, without sacrificing S&C. A result of better time management.
  • New GPS tech implemented that allows them to push players to their limits and avoid pushing those recovering from injury too hard. I’m sure Tucker learned this and the above point at places like Georgia and Alabama.
  • Laviska doesn’t squat all spring then squats 405 right away this summer (BEAST).
  • Wilson alluded to the fact that under the last staff, he used to be told to get way undersized recruits to playing weight, which was unfeasible (e.g. they’d need to gain 60lbs). Much easier to bring in guys like Austin Williams, who is now at 330 (down 7 lbs already). Wilson thinks he’ll be a special player.

60 lbs isn't unfeasible, if you're talking over the course of 2 years.

60 lbs isn't unfeasible, if you're talking over the course of 2 years.
Every now and then you can recruit a Bakhtiari.

90% of the time, when you need to fill a scholarship for a big guy position -- you are much better off if you actually recruit a big guy.

According to BB2 that should be done in 2 weeks
I mean, I had a buddy who was 190 when he went to college as a receiver, and he gained 55 lbs by the next year to play Fullback, but if you think that was all good weight... Dude ate a jar of peanut butter every day.

I put this in the "podcast" thread, but it probably fits best here. Quote from an interview with Drew Wilson on BuffStampede:

"Now that you have had a chance to work with some of Tucker’s recruits, and you’ve also had a chance to interact with a lot of the 2020 prospects on visits, what is the biggest difference you’ve noticed in the type of players Tucker is after?"

“Size. There are some creatures walking through here now. And I mean that in a really, really good way. All the linemen they are recruiting are big dudes with big frames. The raw material is there. We are also recruiting athletes, speed. One kid, we clocked him at a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash (at one of our summer camps), and I thought I was wrong. The coach that clocked him across from me got him at 4.3, too. Coach Tucker is not afraid to go out and recruit anybody. It is good to see we are going to go after top level recruits, and we’re going to get them.”​

Love to hear this about Mark Perry. Kid is going to be a stud. A few other good tidbits in there on some other younger guys. Should be a free article.
Mark Perry is a good example, La'Vontae Shenault is a good example, of guys that have come in and done a real good job with everything. Obviously with La'Vontae’s brother being here, he kind of understands the expectations. Mark came in a very mature young man, and he is physical ready. He is almost 200 pounds as a freshman safety coming in. He is up to about 193. He is a pretty big dude and his frame is built well.”

https://247sports.com/college/color...-players-exploring-transfer-options-127866941

Back