What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 MBB Recruit Profile Index

I can hear you on the scoring man, but I disagree somewhat on some points. Bey's not really a scorer - you wouldn't take him? I believe it was JVG on a telecast one day that was talking about how in his coaching days, he came to the conclusion that some players are just sleepy players. You can yell at them, coach them, coddle them, and no matter what you do, they'll always just be sleepy players. Their effort just simply is not always going to be there, especially on defense.

I do think you can fix a guy's shot, as long as it's not terribly broken and uncoordinated, but sure, being a true scorer is mental and has more skills than just shooting. But i think a good mix is needed - energy guys that bring it on defense and also guys that can score.

My hope is just that Tad starts recruiting longer guys - we need some length on the perimeter.
iirc, Bey set the scoring record in his 1 year at Middlebrooks Academy. He was talked up for his athleticism and defensive prowess, but the guy could score.

Anyway, there are always exceptions to the rule. Dre would be more of that example. Long athletes who have elite skills are always going to be guys you make exceptions for. No one's going to turn down the next Dikembe Mutumbo. On that note, that exception is infinitely more likely at PF or C.

But what I'm talking about is taking the Villanova recruiting model and applying it to CU.

iirc, Bey set the scoring record in his 1 year at Middlebrooks Academy. He was talked up for his athleticism and defensive prowess, but the guy could score.

Anyway, there are always exceptions to the rule. Dre would be more of that example. Long athletes who have elite skills are always going to be guys you make exceptions for. No one's going to turn down the next Dikembe Mutumbo. On that note, that exception is infinitely more likely at PF or C.

But what I'm talking about is taking the Villanova recruiting model and applying it to CU.

I admittedly did not know that about Bey. Regardless though, I think you would agree that he's not a "scorer" (even though he can score), which makes me view your post differently I guess. Say we have three schollies though to hand out in a year though. I'm more than happy to give one to a guy that's just an energetic, athletic, bouncy kid with length, even if he's a liability on offense. For example, I'd take a Lamar Miller (if memory serves me correctly) over a Parquet (assuming he's not out of this world and leaps better than expected). Not trying to be contrarian though, so sure, overall agree.

Looking for insight on why we didn't recruit Kenny Foster from Smoky Hill. Watched him against Thunder Ridge and the kid is a player.

so are we going to have any recruits in this class?

hoping the team's current momentum can re-pique some interest...cause having an under-athletic c/o '20 prep as our only commit right now is a little concerning

I think we have one opening (assuming no other attrition) if Namon Wright moves on after his senior season. Perhaps he will get a medical redshirt and be back in the fall. I have seen other players improve a lot with a year on the bench and would hope for the same outcome from him and reduce the inconsistency we have seen.

I wouldn't mind a grad transfer role player for next year. Big bodied rebounder for the post or 3 pt shooting SG/Wing or backup PG would be a nice add to the mix for next season. Or a true frosh who fit one of those roles. Not a year for a JUCO since all our numbers will be in the sophomore and junior classes.

I wouldn't mind a grad transfer role player for next year. Big bodied rebounder for the post or 3 pt shooting SG/Wing or backup PG would be a nice add to the mix for next season. Or a true frosh who fit one of those roles. Not a year for a JUCO since all our numbers will be in the sophomore and junior classes.

Backup PG would be huge. If Walton is having trouble rehabbing, use his scholly to grab a big.

I wonder how Dombek is coming along...my feeling is we focus on a prep recruit vs a grad transfer, as the roster will be heavily upperclassmen skewed next year

After talking to one of the Dads yesterday, I expect Dombek is both a project and will play outside, not inside....

Also, we have a 6'10" kid on the roster, Frank Ryder, who is a walkon from Fairview Boulder, that spent a year at USD (San Diego), who we might expect to get minutes next year, from what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
After talking to one of the Dads yesterday, I expect Dombek is both a project and will play outside, not inside....

Also, we have a 6'10" kid on the roster, Frank Ryder, who is a walkon from Fairview Boulder, that spent a year at USD (San Diego), who we might expect to get minutes next year, from what I'm hearing.
Dombek is going to be an energy guy from the wing with a ton of length and bounce. Minutes will depend on how his shot develops and whether work in the weight room will give him versatility to play the 4 or (in a pinch) the 5. If Dallas is back, we shouldn't ever feel that pinch next season with our front court depth, though.

Add to that Ryder, who is a very valuable big body for the post. If not for his health problems he'd be a major asset for USD this season. If he's healthy, that might be the reason Tad hasn't looked to sign anyone for 2019 -- plans to put Ryder on scholarship like he did with Chen. And then we might be looking for a veteran guard or wing to replace Del Brown if that scholarship opens up. Maybe a transfer from a guy like sophomore PG Colbey Ross (Pepperdine) to come back home (from Aurora).

Dombek is going to be an energy guy from the wing with a ton of length and bounce. Minutes will depend on how his shot develops and whether work in the weight room will give him versatility to play the 4 or (in a pinch) the 5. If Dallas is back, we shouldn't ever feel that pinch next season with our front court depth, though.

Add to that Ryder, who is a very valuable big body for the post. If not for his health problems he'd be a major asset for USD this season. If he's healthy, that might be the reason Tad hasn't looked to sign anyone for 2019 -- plans to put Ryder on scholarship like he did with Chen. And then we might be looking for a veteran guard or wing to replace Del Brown if that scholarship opens up. Maybe a transfer from a guy like sophomore PG Colbey Ross (Pepperdine) to come back home (from Aurora).

I wouldn't build my plans on both Battey and Walton being healthy. I'm hopeful for it, but not expecting it.

Always easier to get enthused about the potenti of a 6'11" guy with some apparent athleticism and agility. Like Buffnik said, seems boucy and energetic. Hard to tell from tapes and marginal competition but it does seem like he is an outside player, partly due to his slenderness but also his skills. Wouldn't be bad to have that size at the 4 or even 3 in right situation. Ideally we won't need to rely on him much next year as he gets stronger and adjusts, and hopefully doesn't get homesick.

Thinking to next season where we could have 4 post players that can all hit the 3-ball at a decent clip.

I wouldn't build my plans on both Battey and Walton being healthy. I'm hopeful for it, but not expecting it.
Since I see no reason to think Battey will have any problem being healthy, that only leaves Walton. So are you, then, saying you don’t think Walton will be healthy?

Since I see no reason to think Battey will have any problem being healthy, that only leaves Walton. So are you, then, saying you don’t think Walton will be healthy?
I think Walton's injury history is a bigger question mark. I don't have a specific, new, reason to wonder about Dallas' health, but repeated major injuries are a risk factor for increased likelihood of future injury.

Battey does seem to be staying injury free, he did have the back issue last month.

I'd say it's more like 60% chance Walton is injury free in 2019-2020 and 80% chance Battey is, so combined probability would be 48% that both are injury free.

I wouldn't be shocked if both stay healthy all year, and I wouldn't be shocked if at least one of them is on the shelf for 10+ games.

Reactions: DBT
Especially with so many teams listed, hard to know how much serious two-way interest there is for this grad transfer 6'4" Charleston Southern guard, but Buffs are listed in the tweet.
(Per http://www.live5news.com/2019/03/28/csus-christian-keeling-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal/ , "He was named to the All-Big South 1st team for the 2018-19 season after leading the Bucs in scoring (18.7 PPG), rebounding (6.9 RPG), assists (2.8 APG), steals (1.3 SPG) and blocks (0.7 BPG). ")

Roster page - http://www.csusports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/bios/keeling_christian_3ydq

Maddox game log. Thought this might be the swiss army knife wing recruit of Tad years past. It's not. Looks to be mostly a shooter. 39.7 from 3. Perhaps not as streaky as Gatlin?

https://fsw.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/players/maddoxdanielsp0ls?view=gamelog&pos=sh
You must have been looking at his freshman stats. Shot 43% from 3 this past season. Also much better physical presence than Gatling at 6'6" 200.

Also looks like his twin, Mason redshirted his freshman season and will be a sophomore for '19-'20.

59th rated JUCO.

Last edited:
Wish there was more tape, and showing more than just offense. But it looks like he may have some mid range game and attack off the dribble ability besides the 3 point shot. But he may struggle adjusting to D1 comp as Gatling did at times. I'm trusting Tad is comfortable with Kountz, Gatling or Parquet being able to back up MW4, or has another roster spot to still go after a true PG. ??

Wing who can guard multiple positions and knock down shots. Huge needs getting filled.

BOULDER – Maddox Daniels has signed a National Letter of Intent to play basketball and continue his education at the University of Colorado, head coach Tad Boyle announced on Wednesday, the first day of the NCAA Regular Signing Period.

Daniels, a 6-foot, 6-inch, 200-pound guard/forward, played the last two seasons at Florida SouthWestern State College, where he helped the Buccaneers to a 60-6 overall record and two NJCAA Division I National Tournament quarterfinal appearances.

As a sophomore in 2018-19, Daniels earned All-Suncoast Conference First Team Honors averaging 13.9 points per game while shooting 43.1 percent from 3-point range. Daniels topped the Buccaneers in minutes played (26.3 mpg) and free throw shooting at 83.3 percent (75-90).

“(Maddox) fits what we need,” Boyle said. “He’s a big wing that can play multiple positions and guard multiple positions. He’s a 3-point shooter, something we need. He has a good work ethic, good discipline and is a good student. He checks a lot of our boxes; we’re really excited to have him here.”
Daniels started all 33 games in 2018-19 as the Buccaneers finished 30-3, which included an undefeated season in Suncoast Conference play. Florida SouthWestern was ranked No. 1 in the final 2018-19 NJCAA Division I national rankings before ending its season in the national quarterfinals.

Boyle and associate head coach Mike Rohn followed Daniels throughout his sophomore season after reconnecting with former Northern Colorado assistant Eric Murphy, who is in his first year as the Buccaneers head coach and third in the program overall. Once Daniels’ season was over, his attention turned to Colorado.

“The main thing was getting out (here) on a visit and meeting everyone, from the strength coach, nutritionist, players and coaches,” Daniels said. “We talked about goals for next year for the team and for me as a player.

“Everyone was really cool and transparent about their experiences (at Colorado); how much they liked it here, how much they enjoyed the season.

Everyone was talking about how they’ve improved as players and how the team has progressed. Everyone wants to win both personally and collectively.”
Daniels will earn his associate degree in Business Management this spring and will arrive in Boulder in time for summer school where he will continue his studies in business. He was named to the NJCAA All-Academic Third Team and Suncoast Conference All-Academic Team as a freshman in 2017-18.

“I’m interested in Business, Marketing, Entrepreneurship - understanding what’s important in getting people’s attention,” Daniels said. “I’m into health and fitness, marketing that, is something I’m looking at diving into.

“It’s really a progressive place, not just the school but Boulder as well. Boulder has a lot to offer for me as a person, it’s something I’m excited for - a brand-new environment. To be out there, playing in the Pac-12 is a dream – never thought it would happen – crazy, but I’m excited.”

Daniels averaged 11.2 points and 2.8 rebounds in 61 career games at Florida SouthWestern State, shooting 42.9 percent from the field and 85.1 percent from the foul line. He is a career 42-percent shooter from beyond the 3-point arc, making 140 of 335 attempts. Daniels was a second team all-conference selection as a freshman.

A native of Suwanee, Ga., Daniels played at Beverly Hills (Calif.) High School his senior year. As a junior, he attended Montverde (Fla.) Academy where his team won a national championship in 2015 alongside future NBA No. 1 Draft Pick Ben Simmons.

Back