What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 NIT thread

what indicates this to you? I don't claim technical expertise in basketball, but to my casual observation, CU plays less of a set offense than any other team I follow (VT, Wisconsin).

If you define a set offense as one that the players are running specific highly structured plays then no CU doesn't run a huge amount of set offense. Much more accurate I think would be to say that CU runs a very deliberate offense with a lot of perimeter passing and intentional spacing. We end up taking a lot of shots late in the shot clock and don't put a lot of early pressure on the defense with guys driving or multiple guys cutting to the hoop early.

if a fan of another team asked you what offense the Buffs run, what would you answer?

Some sort of motion passing game (that bogs down too often because of a lack of movement), as opposed to designed sets with very specific movements.

Some sort of motion passing game (that bogs down too often because of a lack of movement), as opposed to designed sets with very specific movements.

Also, for what it's worth, pretty much every team in the country has both specific sets and a free wheeling motion offense, it's just talking about the ratio in which specific sets are called. Wisconsin calls a lot of set of plays, Colorado does not. Neither way is right or wrong.

Really like his length, you can see he's learning how to use it to his advantage. Great Game

tenor.gif

Why in gods name do you follow Wisconsin?!
Grew up in the state, cheering for the Badgers.
Many family members and friends are alumni. List grows annually.
Dad is a huge fan and gives me nice Wisconsin apparel as presents annually.

I've tried to give them up, but its so easy to be a Badger fan...
  • They seemingly win the B1G in either football or hoops every other year.
  • Academically excellent.
  • Stay out of NCAA trouble.
  • Annual contender in hockey. Mens and womens.
  • Outstanding volleyball.

Ok, just a question for you. Do you think it's better basketball? Dude, it's crap. It's weekend ball.
The NBA plays more fast and loose than college ball...do you think NBA is crap? I want to see college teams averaging nearly 100 a game. I'm all for ruke changes that make the college game more closely resemble the pro game.

The NBA plays more fast and loose than college ball...do you think NBA is crap? I want to see college teams averaging nearly 100 a game. I'm all for ruke changes that make the college game more closely resemble the pro game.
I like that different styles succeed in college ball. There are some rules in the NBA that make the game better by creating more high leverage moments (like advancing the ball with a timeout).

Also, it might be counterintuitive, but if we want to see a return of high pressure, full court defense, they need to bring back that it's a turnover for being closely guarded for 5 seconds without advancing the ball. We'd see a lot more trapping, turnovers and fast breaks if that rule change happened.

I like that different styles succeed in college ball. There are some rules in the NBA that make the game better by creating more high leverage moments (like advancing the ball with a timeout).

Also, it might be counterintuitive, but if we want to see a return of high pressure, full court defense, they need to bring back that it's a turnover for being closely guarded for 5 seconds without advancing the ball. We'd see a lot more trapping, turnovers and fast breaks if that rule change happened.
I want defensive 3 seconds in college with that wider lane.

Other than the fact that I just always want CU to win every game they play I want this team to go deep in this tourney.

We have a very young team and have not been tournament regulars recently. With our young talent I think we should have NCAA tourney expectations for next season.

Playing tourney games though is a different experience with the short lead time to know who your opponent is an the quick travel to play a highly motivated opponent most often in a gym you haven't been in before. It isn't the NCAA tourney but this NIT experience could really improve our chances of advancing next year in the big tourney.

what indicates this to you? I don't claim technical expertise in basketball, but to my casual observation, CU plays less of a set offense than any other team I follow (VT, Wisconsin).
I probably have less technical expertise in understanding how offense runs than you. But what I see is that Tad runs an offense that is safe, or safer than many. Not many early possession shots, not a lot of push into transition type effort. I think he does that because he does not want to put his defense in bad positions. However, in my opinion good offense is your best defense. I do not advocate a Paul Westhead run and chuck style of game, but I think a good open shot 10 seconds into a possession, is better than something forced with 4 seconds left on the shot clock. So i don't really know if we run a lot of set plays, or just run a motion set/system that does not allow for early possession shots. I just don't think the deliberate offensive pace suits a team like the one we have. We don't really have knock down perimeter shooters, which I think is a must if you are trying to be so deliberate offensively. Wright is a solid guard to attack the basket and kick or finish, but not a lot of options to kick to. I don't know, maybe we play this way because we don't have shooters. But I suspect that we could boost the team three point % from 32% to about 38% overnight if we worked harder at getting early open looks. Gatling would be my evidence on this, bc I think he would be about a 40% 3pt shooter if he got more open transition looks, versus the 32% shooter that he is.

The slow it down defensive system requires consistent offensive output, and to me that is why the Buffs are Jeckyll and Hyde. Battey is a nice inside option, and Bey is as well. But I think it is tough for them to score consistently on the interior when the play against bigger defenders. But if you are hitting outside shots, the size of the oppositions front court doesn't matter, plus the inside game opens more when you threaten from the perimeter. Tad knows much more about basketball than I do, so I'm sure the team is in good hands. Nevertheless, I think the game is evolving away from his style and if he wants to attract more dynamic players, and compete at NCAA tournament level, I think he needs to take more risks than he has typically been willing to take.

Sounds like @Medford M. doesn't like college basketball. Which is fine, just don't demand changes because you don't like it and ruin it for the rest of us. I like both college basketball and the NBA. Although it is the same sport, they're very different. Neither one needs to change drastically to be more like the other. Small tweaks are good, you're asking for drastic change.

Depends on who is playing whether I think it's crap or not. I see plenty of crap in the NBA, it's not infallible.

Sounds like @Medford M. doesn't like college basketball. Which is fine, just don't demand changes because you don't like it and ruin it for the rest of us. I like both college basketball and the NBA. Although it is the same sport, they're very different. Neither one needs to change drastically to be more like the other. Small tweaks are good, you're asking for drastic change.
I feel that most of college basketball is unwatchable.

Well, getting back to NIT related things...

Texas is without their lottery pick prospect, Jaxson Hayes, for the next few weeks. He’s 6’11 and we definitely don’t have anyone who could match up with him. They’re the highest-rated seed left in our quadrant. It’s either Texas or Xavier after Norfolk.

Well, getting back to NIT related things...

Texas is without their lottery pick prospect, Jaxson Hayes, for the next few weeks. He’s 6’11 and we definitely don’t have anyone who could match up with him. They’re the highest-rated seed left in our quadrant. It’s either Texas or Xavier after Norfolk.
Xavier scares me a lot more than Texas.

I probably have less technical expertise in understanding how offense runs than you. But what I see is that Tad runs an offense that is safe, or safer than many. Not many early possession shots, not a lot of push into transition type effort. I think he does that because he does not want to put his defense in bad positions. However, in my opinion good offense is your best defense. I do not advocate a Paul Westhead run and chuck style of game, but I think a good open shot 10 seconds into a possession, is better than something forced with 4 seconds left on the shot clock. So i don't really know if we run a lot of set plays, or just run a motion set/system that does not allow for early possession shots. I just don't think the deliberate offensive pace suits a team like the one we have. We don't really have knock down perimeter shooters, which I think is a must if you are trying to be so deliberate offensively. Wright is a solid guard to attack the basket and kick or finish, but not a lot of options to kick to. I don't know, maybe we play this way because we don't have shooters. But I suspect that we could boost the team three point % from 32% to about 38% overnight if we worked harder at getting early open looks. Gatling would be my evidence on this, bc I think he would be about a 40% 3pt shooter if he got more open transition looks, versus the 32% shooter that he is.

The slow it down defensive system requires consistent offensive output, and to me that is why the Buffs are Jeckyll and Hyde. Battey is a nice inside option, and Bey is as well. But I think it is tough for them to score consistently on the interior when the play against bigger defenders. But if you are hitting outside shots, the size of the oppositions front court doesn't matter, plus the inside game opens more when you threaten from the perimeter. Tad knows much more about basketball than I do, so I'm sure the team is in good hands. Nevertheless, I think the game is evolving away from his style and if he wants to attract more dynamic players, and compete at NCAA tournament level, I think he needs to take more risks than he has typically been willing to take.
It’s all about penetration.

Back