What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020-2021 Bowl Games Thread

That Willis is a player to watch for next season and so is McCall for the Chants.

Fun Belt Conference could be real fun to watch next season.

Next day of bowl games is the 29th with Oklahoma State-Miami and Texas-CU.

I wonder if that bowl game in Nashville will be moved as a result of that RV bombing on Christmas Day.

Sun Belt with some good records this year.

Helps them not to play a bunch of body bag (err. revenue) games at SEC, B1G, and ACC sites.

Would have been cool for Coastal to be undefeated and I tend to look at Liberty as a G5 Baylor or Pedo State. They haven't been "caught" yet but with their win at all cost attitude and people in charge who have never let a few felonies get in the way of a good team

Between opt outs and COVID, Florida down their top four receivers for the Cotton Bowl.

Heard an interview with Rece Davis talking about this and he was saying how college football needs to take a good hard look at the postseason and figure out where to go. When you have a team like UNC who hasn't been in a major bowl in 70 years and their players are opting out, and Florida is playing in one of the original 4 "big" bowls and has numerous opt outs, you know you have a problem. Granted this is a very different year but this trend didn't start with Covid.

I'm not sure that an 8-team playoff is the simple answer, for example won't we have the same problem if a team doesn't make it into one of the 4 playoff bowls? We didn't see this in the BCS era and then we only had 2 teams in what was essentially the playoff.

Heard an interview with Rece Davis talking about this and he was saying how college football needs to take a good hard look at the postseason and figure out where to go. When you have a team like UNC who hasn't been in a major bowl in 70 years and their players are opting out, and Florida is playing in one of the original 4 "big" bowls and has numerous opt outs, you know you have a problem. Granted this is a very different year but this trend didn't start with Covid.

I'm not sure that an 8-team playoff is the simple answer, for example won't we have the same problem if a team doesn't make it into one of the 4 playoff bowls? We didn't see this in the BCS era and then we only had 2 teams in what was essentially the playoff.
I think you have to either expand the playoff or shrink it to help the problem. When it was only a national championship game it wasn't realistic to expect to be in the national championship game so the other big bowl games had prestige. Now it's the playoff or nothing. I think we'd probably all agree the toothpaste is out of the tube on going back to only a championship game.

I also think an 8 game playoff would introduce the potential for more parity in recruiting. Nothing is going to stop the blue bloods from out recruiting everyone but if there is an automatic birth for a conference champion it gives the PAC a better shot at convincing kids to stay in the footprint. It's got to be a hard sell at Oregon or USC that you are playing for national championships when we can't even make the playoff for 4 years and have only made it 2/7 times but if you are consistently making the playoff you can sell that you are close.

I don’t think the playoffs should have anything to do with the bowls. Play the CFB playoffs at home sites. Neutral field for championship. And the neutral field should be rotated among college campuses.

I can't believe you are suggesting maybe ESPN should talk about something other than the playoff

"I really don't understand why the playoff has rendered so many other postseason games meaningless."

Next season:

"Welcome to opening week Gameday. Let's start with a deep dive into the College Football Playoff. We can safely put Bama in the top slot and Clemson at #2. We have already eliminated all Big 12 and Pac-12 teams, so the race is on for #3 and #4! Does the SEC deserve three teams? Is Ohio State overrated? What an exciting race to watch unfold over the next 15 Gamedays!"

Expansion is about the only way it can happen. They won't go backwards due to massive amount of money involved with the playoff. Honestly, you do an 8-12 team playoff and I think the rest solves itself as it will just naturally end some of the bowl games.

"I really don't understand why the playoff has rendered so many other postseason games meaningless."

Next season:

"Welcome to opening week Gameday. Let's start with a deep dive into the College Football Playoff. We can safely put Bama in the top slot and Clemson at #2. We have already eliminated all Big 12 and Pac-12 teams, so the race is on for #3 and #4! Does the SEC deserve three teams? Is Ohio State overrated? What an exciting race to watch unfold over the next 15 Gamedays!"
Rece is probably just suggesting CFP should expand so they can talk about more teams. I think that's the only thing that could get the playoff committee talking about more than 6 teams.

as for any team outside the top 25? cancel the season.

Rece is probably just suggesting CFP should expand so they can talk about more teams. I think that's the only thing that could get the playoff committee talking about more than 6 teams.

as for any team outside the top 25? cancel the season.

What is so strange to me is that ESPN shows a LOT of games, plus most of the bowl games. Shouldn't it be in their own self interest to drive viewership?

If a fan is tuning in to watch #18 Wisconsin take on #24 Northwestern in early November, the announcers should not be bring up the CFP at all, and yet it happens often. WTF do I care about some random commentator's top four rankings?

Bowl games used to be fun.

College football post-season was messy with no clear cut answers. I thought it was okay, because college is messy, so why shouldn't the post-season and rankings be?

To me, college football was about tradition. Bowl games heightened that connection to tradition.

If you want clean, neat and tidy, there was always the NFL.

But some college football fans didn't like the messiness and lack of clear outcomes. So the BCS began to erode at those traditions. And it sucked.

So we went all in and got the playoffs. One step closer to the NFL, I guess.

And I have sinned, because I have truly enjoyed some playoff games in recent years. In the spirit of "both and" I can enjoy the playoff games and hate what the playoffs have done to the sport that I love.

I wish I didn't have such an investment in college football. I think I'd enjoy being a fan of Euro Rugby Sevens. Alas, it's too late for me. Save yourselves.

College football post-season was messy with no clear cut answers. I thought it was okay, because college is messy, so why shouldn't the post-season and rankings be?

To me, college football was about tradition. Bowl games heightened that connection to tradition.

But some college football fans didn't like the messiness and lack of clear outcomes. So the BCS began to erode at those traditions. And it sucked.

And I have sinned, because I have truly enjoyed some playoff games in recent years. In the spirit of "both and" I can enjoy the playoff games and hate what the playoffs have done to the sport that I love.

I wish I didn't have such an investment in college football. I think I'd enjoy being a fan of Euro Rugby Sevens. Alas, it's too late for me. Save yourselves.
It’s interesting to me how golf struggles with this same problem and how I’ve ended up being good with the “both and” solution.

The PGA Tour invented the FedEx Playoffs, and much like ESPN incessantly promoting the college football playoffs, the tour does the same with the golf playoffs. As a diehard golf fan, I don’t give a crap about the playoffs or the winner of it, except that I enjoy seeing the best players play the last 3 or 4 events, so the fields are really good and the play can be sensational. But more than anything, I love the tradition of a number of regular tour stops and especially the major championships.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the majors, the broadcasts of the regular events is being controlled more and more by the tour. So they are more interested in promoting sponsors and their brand, than providing a great broadcast experience for the golf fan.

So I guess what I’m saying is, welcome to the club.

That messiness was part of the fun. It gave you an entire offseason to argue about if the one loss team from the Big 8 would have beaten the undefeated team from the ACC, if the winner of the Rose Bowl was better than the winner of the Sugar Bowl.

The current playoff format has settled some of that but I absolutely don't want to see the Cinderella aspect that expanding the playoffs would bring. Go to 8 teams and how long is it until some 3 loss team gets on a hot streak and beats the undefeated conference champion (that is missing their QB and best DB due to injuries in the semi-finals.)

As I have gotten older I have found myself less invested in sports overall. My NFL interest has dropped the most but my college football focus is reduced as well.

Those here who blame ESPN are partly right. ESPN has these other bowl games and is paying for them. It makes no sense that they don't build them up instead of acting like the playoffs are the only thing that exist. The storylines are there to build interest if they wanted to.

It’s interesting to me how golf struggles with this same problem and how I’ve ended up being good with the “both and” solution.

The PGA Tour invented the FedEx Playoffs, and much like ESPN incessantly promoting the college football playoffs, the tour does the same with the golf playoffs. As a diehard golf fan, I don’t give a crap about the playoffs or the winner of it, except that I enjoy seeing the best players play the last 3 or 4 events, so the fields are really good and the play can be sensational. But more than anything, I love the tradition of a number of regular tour stops and especially the major championships.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the majors, the broadcasts of the regular events is being controlled more and more by the tour. So they are more interested in promoting sponsors and their brand, than providing a great broadcast experience for the golf fan.

So I guess what I’m saying is, welcome to the club.
Golf is very different for a couple of reasons.

One is that the best players are playing against each other all season. It isn't a situation of two players who haven't competed against each other going out to prove who is the best, they have already played in a bunch of tournaments and will play more.

The other reason is that the network can call it a playoff and call it a championship but anyone, even a very casual golf fan, knows that the real championships are the majors.

A FedEx cup is nice but the fans, the players, the media, will remember the green jacket, will remember the winner of the US Open, the British, the PGA. Of those the Masters is the most important, PGA the least but to the golfing world they determine who are the best of the best.

I went to the Rugby 7s world championships here in San Francisco a few years ago. It was so much fun. That is one exciting game to be sure. It was like a party atmosphere in the stands with people from all over the world. Irish and Zimbabwe fans were my favorite. I also learned there how to correctly pronounce Samoa.

Last edited:
What is so strange to me is that ESPN shows a LOT of games, plus most of the bowl games. Shouldn't it be in their own self interest to drive viewership?

If a fan is tuning in to watch #18 Wisconsin take on #24 Northwestern in early November, the announcers should not be bring up the CFP at all, and yet it happens often. WTF do I care about some random commentator's top four rankings?

Only think I can think is that ESPN is making so much more on the playoff games compared to all the other bowls is that is what they have decided to promote it to the hilt.

Back