What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020/21 class Olympic sports official NLI signing news (Signing period - 11/13/2019-8/1/2020)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With tomorrow (November 13th) being the start of the signing period for the frosh class of 2020/21 for all Olympic Sports, thought I'd start this thread. As with similar prior years' threads, It will be used throughout the period to post any news (tweets, articles, pictures, videos, etc.) of future Olympic Sport Buffs officially signing their National Letters of Intents (NLI's). As always, if/ as any Allbuffians see any official signing news for any future Buffs, please feel free to post it.

The main purpose of this thread is NOT to post news of newly found future Buffs, which is already covered in the http://www.allbuffs.com/threads/recruiting-news-olympic-sports.101643/ thread. However, If any new (unknown to us) commits do pop up during the signing process, I'll probably post them both places (with more detail on them being put in the main recruiting thread).

As also noted in the above linked- to general recruiting thread, things were changed/ simplified starting last year, and there's only one*** long signing period for all*** Olympic sports this year, running from November 13th 2019 through August 1, 2020 (Source- http://www.nationalletter.org/signingDates/):

(***Prior to the November 2018 signing period, (1) soccer was like football used to be, and only had one signing period which started in February and (2) the other Olympic sports used to have a short (1 week) early signing period in November (like basketball still does) followed by a regular period starting in April.)

For ease of reference, from the main recruiting thread, expected signers for next academic year (2020/21) we know about so far that could be signing as early as November 13th are listed below by sport. As I think about it, I’ll also fill in info below as we learn about what student-athletes have officially signed on to become future Buffs.
(Note- with these sports getting much less recruiting exposure than, say, football, it's much more likely that some listed below may end up going to another college.)

Cross Country/ Track:
Buff track commitments_2019-11-12_2020 class only.gif

Known to have Signed NLI - Gillett, Nuhfer, Lucyk
Previously unknown signee(s) - Nicholas Bianco (Multi-events, Post #15), Ian Gilmore (Sprinter, Post # 29), Allie Routledge (Post #32),Sarah Aanenson (Multi-events, jumper, Post #40), Shaw Powell (Distance running, Post #42), Camille Jackson (Distance running, Post #43), Caleb Niednagel (Distance running, Post #44)

Golf (Men's & Women's):

Buff golf commitments_2019-11-12_2020 class only.gif

Known to have Signed NLI - Biwer, Schalk
Additional previously unknown commitment signee(s) - (Women's) - Ellie Gower (Post #7), (Men's) - Ryan Mendez (Post #4), Jacob Mason (Post #10)

Lacrosse:

Buff lacrosse commitments_2019-11-12_2020 class only.gif

Known to have Signed NLI – Heintz, Johnson, McElhaney, Moore, Pisani, Smith, Stokes, Zimmerman
Previously unknown signee(s) -

Skiing:

None known about before the signing period.

Soccer

Buff soccer commitments_2019-11-12_2020 class only.gif

Known to have Signed NLI – Black, Bundy, Fritz, Harnisch, James, Newkirk, Rosen, Willis
Previously unknown signee(s) - Filippa Graneld (Post #3), Jenny Beyer (Post #8)

Tennis:

None known about before the signing period.

Volleyball:

Buff vball commitments_2019-11-12_2020 class only.gif

Known to have Signed NLI - Tabron

(Note- it seems team sport athletes usually verbally commit AND often sign their NLI’s much earlier than those in the “individual” sports (golf, tennis, track & field/ cross country and, especially, skiing), so expect more future Buff individual sport athletes to become known and sign as the signing period goes on.)

Last edited:
I haven't started going through my various social media searches yet (my network has picked a BAD day to get VERY sluggish), but from official Buff sport teams' tweets, looks like soccer has officially signed 5 so far, with one of those (a Swedish student-athlete) being unknown as a future Buff prior to now.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to Ms's. Bundy, Harnisch, Black and Newkirk, and official AND 1st time welcome and congrats to Ms. Graneld!

The below looks to show the one previously known about men's golf commit at his signing ceremony, and it looks like there may be another future Buff golfer who is in the picture that I did not know about previously, Ryan Mendez. (As often happens, I can't find much of anything else confirming the later's commitment, but his Instagram does say "CU ’24".)

Assuming I'm understanding things correctly, OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to Mr's. Biwer and Mendez!

For the 2nd time today, soccer has announced it has attained a commit from Europe (this time Germany) not previously known to me.

OFFICIAL and 1st time welcome and congrats to defender Jenny Beyer!

The last (of the few) known track and field commits are now signed on.

Welcome and congrats to Ms. Gillett!

(Edit- the tweet has her name ending with one t, while everything I saw when I 1st heard of her verbal commitment has it ending with 2 tt's. I apologize in advance if I've been spelling her name wrong in my earlier posts.)

Last edited:
After one of its largest recruiting classes ever last season (7 freshmen + 2 transfers), volleyball announced its smallest (1 so far) this season. But with her being the Prepvolleyball #82 ranked recruit, the quality is still very strong.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to Ms. Tabron!

(Note - She is the only 2020 volleyball commit I know about right now, but the article linked to in the 2nd tweet above does quote Coach Mahoney saying ""We are still actively recruiting for our 2020 class and will be announcing more additions to our roster this spring...."".)

We see the difference in J.R and Mahoney. Maya is the 6th top 100 player for CU in the past 3 years. CU has 1 in Peanut. According to a tweet from Brian Howell CU and Washington St are the only two teams in the Pac 12 not to get a top 100 player. Congrats to Mahoney and his staff

The 2nd signing pic I've found for an incoming lax Buff.

OFFICIAL welcome and congrats to Ms. Smith!

Formal Buff confirmation on the 3 men's golf incoming freshmen which had already been informally indicated by pictures of their signing ceremonies (posts 4, 10 and 11). Again, welcome and congrats to them!

CU tweeted out that according to top drawer soccer, this class is a top 10 class

Do you or @AztecBuff, or anyone know why the soccer class is so large? We signed much more than the seniors leaving - did we have that many defections? Is this typical in soccer?

If the rankings work like football and basketball, then the sheer size of our class probably helped the ranking. Still, it seems like we would have finished with a top 20 class even if had a 'normal" sized class.

Do you or @AztecBuff, or anyone know why the soccer class is so large? We signed much more than the seniors leaving - did we have that many defections? Is this typical in soccer?

If the rankings work like football and basketball, then the sheer size of our class probably helped the ranking. Still, it seems like we would have finished with a top 20 class even if had a 'normal" sized class.

Several times this year Sanchez said they play with a small roster. I wonder if after the last two years of injuries really taking a toll he decided he needed to have a bigger roster and little more depth. I also wonder if they have a little bigger budget now and can handle a bigger roster. All speculation on my part

Back