What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I think it’s trending toward starting football season as scheduled. Things are likely going to get a lot better in the summer and Universities and ADs will plan on everything opening on schedule which means CFB. That’s not to say a second wave won’t hit and change things mid season, but I’m betting that the plan will be to start on time.

I think it’s trending toward starting football season as scheduled. Things are likely going to get a lot better in the summer and Universities and ADs will plan on everything opening on schedule which means CFB. That’s not to say a second wave won’t hit and change things mid season, but I’m betting that the plan will be to start on time.
Agreed. Just kind of a fluky deal, but RG has a zoom call with some of the former players and current players to check in on their well-being. I happened to be at someones house when this was going on (this was a week or so ago) and RG seemed confident that if the campus is open they will have games and will have games with fans.

**** the Big 12. They need to collapse that **** heap and roll up the four schools that that Pac-12 wants into the Pac-16.

If the Big 12 is a **** heap (Oklahoma has made more CFP appearances than the entire ****ing Pac 12. We're WAY behind the Big 10, ACC, and SEC in terms of TV revenue per school), what does that make the Pac 12?

Agreed. Just kind of a fluky deal, but RG has a zoom call with some of the former players and current players to check in on their well-being. I happened to be at someones house when this was going on (this was a week or so ago) and RG seemed confident that if the campus is open they will have games and will have games with fans.

Hypothetical-what happens if Colorado, Utah, and the Arizona schools are ready to go, but the west coast schools/states are not?

Hypothetical-what happens if Colorado, Utah, and the Arizona schools are ready to go, but the west coast schools/states are not?
Good question. Even if CU is ready to go, doesn't mean their opponents are. That's where it gets extra tricky.

Good question. Even if CU is ready to go, doesn't mean their opponents are. That's where it gets extra tricky.

I think we'll see the schools who are ready to play collaborate to ensure everybody who is ready to go gets 12 games. In our case, it might mean a ****load of games against the MWC for convenience's sake if CA/OR/WA aren't ready to go-but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I think the recent positivity of athletic directors is going to come back to bite them this fall. I do not see much of a chance of a normal college football season if they really push to start on time and are intent on playing 12 games.
Most likely false hope that this reopening trend works out.

If USC and Stanford opt to play games, they can be sued if an outbreak occurs. No sovereign immunity for them.

If USC and Stanford opt to play games, they can be sued if an outbreak occurs. No sovereign immunity for them.

The decision won't lie with admins at those two schools-its more likely Sacramento will be telling them what they can and can't do this fall.

The decision won't lie with admins at those two schools-its more likely Sacramento will be telling them what they can and can't do this fall.

Yes, but if Sacramento says play ball, that’s fine for the public universities. But it won’t protect private institutions. Look, we just had ten pages of dialogue on whether small businesses would open their shops because of potential civil suits. Imagine the magnitude of that decision when it come to playing home games at the L.A. Coliseum. Perhaps the lawyers can weigh in. This isn’t my lane.

Yes, but if Sacramento says play ball, that’s fine for the public universities. But it won’t protect private institutions. Look, we just had ten pages of dialogue on whether small businesses would open their shops because of potential civil suits. Imagine the magnitude of that decision when it come to playing home games at the L.A. Coliseum. Perhaps the lawyers can weigh in. This isn’t my lane.

Precedent for this from CBB season.

If you go anywhere, you’re taking the risk of infection. To don’t see how somebody could claim damages against USC or Stanford when they attended a game with full knowledge that there’s a pandemic in progress. At some point doesn’t personal responsibility come in to play? It’s not like USC And Stanford would be forcing people to go to their games.

I don't share the ADs optimism for fall football. The colleges are grappling with just having classes in the fall, and there is zero chance they have football without classes happening on campus.

i can’t and won’t blame RG for his optimism given the financial importance college football has but at the end of the day his guess is as good as yours or mine. Nobody knows what things will be like in September but when you consider that the Premier League clubs were told to prepare for the possibility of playing the entire 20-21 season without fans I think it’s a complete pipe dream if he thinks there’ll be fans this fall.

If you go anywhere, you’re taking the risk of infection. To don’t see how somebody could claim damages against USC or Stanford when they attended a game with full knowledge that there’s a pandemic in progress. At some point doesn’t personal responsibility come in to play? It’s not like USC And Stanford would be forcing people to go to their games.

How do you prove you caught the virus at the Stanford game anyway?

i can’t and won’t blame RG for his optimism given the financial importance college football has but at the end of the day his guess is as good as yours or mine. Nobody knows what things will be like in September but when you consider that the Premier League clubs were told to prepare for the possibility of playing the entire 20-21 season without fans I think it’s a complete pipe dream if he thinks there’ll be fans this fall.
The thing is, decisions on classes and football season aren’t going to be made in September. They’re going to be made in June, July and August. Once those decisions are made, it’s going to take A LOT to reverse them and cancel everything again. There’s going to be a ton of pressure on all colleges and ADs across the country to start the school year and season on time, especially those outside of SEC country just in an attempt to not be the only ones who say aren’t attending class/playing.

How do you prove you caught the virus at the Stanford game anyway?

Same way they can trace ecoli back to a burger shack. Again, I’m not necessarily disagreeing with the angle that each individual need to take personal responsibility. I just think some PI attorney could make the case that (1) the risk was foreseeable by the business, (2) business failed to take proper precaution, and (3) there was injury (a sickness or death). What if person A attends game, and gets coworker B sick, and coworker B dies?

The thing is, decisions on classes and football season aren’t going to be made in September. They’re going to be made in June, July and August. Once those decisions are made, it’s going to take A LOT to reverse them and cancel everything again. There’s going to be a ton of pressure on all colleges and ADs across the country to start the school year and season on time, especially those outside of SEC country just in an attempt to not be the only ones who say aren’t attending class/playing.
Decisions on fall classes will be made by the end of the month. I can see delaying class until Oct or even November, eliminating fall breaks and spring break and trimming up winter break if necessary.

The pressure to open will be immense and financial implications incredible.

The flip side is that the biggest places with outbreaks are prisons, meatpacking plants and nursing homes. Hard to imagine college dorms and college classrooms won't be similar

Hope against hope that things go well this month!

Very much doubt that we see anything resembling a normal college football season.

There is no way to practice or play football without sharing the virus among the entire team. Who wants to be the school that has a healthy young man die because they decided to go ahead with their season (and who wants to defend that decision in court?) It isn't as if the players have a choice to participate or to practice social distancing.

If (and this is a huge if) we were to get a vaccine into mass distribution by fall I could see some form of a spring season, likely with a reduced schedule.

Troy Calhoun of the AFA was already planning for this possibility a few weeks ago.

This is tied into the big questions facing society as a whole right now. Are we willing to risk (and almost certainly lose) lives just so we can get things back to "normal?"

All of us want college football, all of us would be happy to have just about anything resembling college football. How many of us are willing to see 18-24 year olds in the prime of their life on a ventilator so that can happen? I think I'm just fine with waiting.

Decisions on fall classes will be made by the end of the month. I can see delaying class until Oct or even November, eliminating fall breaks and spring break and trimming up winter break if necessary.

The pressure to open will be immense and financial implications incredible.

The flip side is that the biggest places with outbreaks are prisons, meatpacking plants and nursing homes. Hard to imagine college dorms and college classrooms won't be similar

Hope against hope that things go well this month!
Time is obviously our ally in this situation but I am not sure I understand postponing until winter when there is a chance that this pandemic will come back then. I am not sure anyone will take that chance and see this scenario as the least likely happening. You might as well just wait till spring if that were the case.

Last edited:
There are many degrees of separation between “full lockdown” and “back to the way things used to be”. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that they can find some kind of accommodation for playing college football this Fall. It just might not look like what we are used to.

I think we'll see the schools who are ready to play collaborate to ensure everybody who is ready to go gets 12 games. In our case, it might mean a ****load of games against the MWC for convenience's sake if CA/OR/WA aren't ready to go-but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I don't mind seeing one season where CU would be more part of an intermountain conference of sorts. UA, ASU, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, Utah, BYU, USU, Boise State, Nevada, and UNLV on the schedule. Might throw in NMSU and UTEP if the Nevada schools are a no-go.

Back