What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Hell, 4 of those schools are already on our schedule. Would it be ideal? Certainly not. But it’s something I could live with if the alternative is no college football.
I'm happy to concede that point, but it's not really a plausible scenario.

I don't mind seeing one season where CU would be more part of an intermountain conference of sorts. UA, ASU, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, Utah, BYU, USU, Boise State, Nevada, and UNLV on the schedule. Might throw in NMSU and UTEP if the Nevada schools are a no-go.

Here's what I see-Everybody will play as many league games as possible. Play as much of the scheduled OOC as it makes sense to play. I don't see how Texas and LSU don't play. That's an easy one. Given Colorado and Texas have both begun to re-open, why wouldn't a game like CU-A&M still take place? I don't see how games like Ohio State/Oregon or Michigan/Washington happen this year though. If California or the West Coast isn't ready, then the Pac 12 would collaborate with the MWC and BYU to ensure everybody gets as many games as it makes sense to play. Maybe have UNLV play the Arizonas. CU and Utah can play Wyoming, Air Force, or BYU and on down the line.

Last edited:
I don't mind seeing one season where CU would be more part of an intermountain conference of sorts. UA, ASU, UNM, AFA, CSU, WYO, Utah, BYU, USU, Boise State, Nevada, and UNLV on the schedule. Might throw in NMSU and UTEP if the Nevada schools are a no-go.
to me, one of the worst aspects would be the tease of (almost, subjective) all those games being 'road trippable' combined with not being able to see them

As in no college football?

Better than no college football at all?

Here's what I see-Everybody will play as many league games as possible. Play as much of the scheduled OOC as it makes sense to play. I don't see how Texas and LSU don't play. That's an easy one. Given Colorado and Texas have both begun to re-open, why wouldn't a game like CU-A&M still take place? I don't see how games like Ohio State/Oregon or Michigan/Washington happen this year though. If California or the West Coast isn't ready, then the Pac 12 would collaborate with the MWC and BYU to ensure everybody gets as many games as it makes sense to play. Maybe have UNLV play the Arizonas. CU and Utah can play Wyoming, Air Force, or BYU and on down the line.

That is what I'm getting at and this would be only for this year. Back to normal business next year. Before the coronavirus hit, it wasn't the college athletics off season without realignment rumors or speculation threads. This set up would undoubtedly spark realignment talk anyway and given how dead college sports is during this unusual time, why not get the ball rolling on that.

to me, one of the worst aspects would be the tease of (almost, subjective) all those games being 'road trippable' combined with not being able to see them

That proposal didn't have road trips in mind and it was with the assumption that the west coast would be off limits to college sports which would affect the MWC and Pac-12 so why not combine them for one season sans the west coast schools? They could decide to just go their own way in this case as well. The only downside for CU woudl be that in the I-25 conference, only CSU & UNM would be on par with CU when it comes to research tier rankings.

I had I-15 and I-25 in mind when coming up with those divisions. Boise is just four hours way from SLC. If it was possible to add Texas Tech, that would work if you went down I-25 to Raton then took a highway through northeastern NM to the Texas panhandle. I went to a funeral and going 80 mph on that road was doable since there were hardly any cops.

UA, ASU, Utah, and CU could decide to hook up with the BIg 12 and that might very well lead to the death of the PAC in about four-five years.

Dan Patrick hit on it today-limited attendance is what he said. Didn't elaborate. No matter what we have (I personally think we'll have SOMETHING because there's too much $$$ involved in CFB to where we'd have economic armageddon if we didn't have it in some form or fashion for a year) its not going to be normal.

I’m trying to figure out how you could play games with people in the stands while maintaining some semblance of social distancing. I can’t see how that would work. Would requiring masks be adequate? What a strange environment.

I’m trying to figure out how you could play games with people in the stands while maintaining some semblance of social distancing. I can’t see how that would work. Would requiring masks be adequate? What a strange environment.
I guess if the students end up back in class this fall, you could always have a student section. Just spit-balling.

The Dolphins CEO was on Good Morning America and talked about a 15k capacity (instead of the usual 65k), scheduled arrivals, scheduled exits etc. Sounds more hassle than it's worth IMO.

The Dolphins CEO was on Good Morning America and talked about a 15k capacity (instead of the usual 65k), scheduled arrivals, scheduled exits etc. Sounds more hassle than it's worth IMO.

So if there are 50,000 tickets sold to a stadium that holds 65,000 but they will only allow 15,000 in, who gets to decide who gets in and who doesn’t?

what a mess.

Limiting the number of people makes no sense whatsoever. You either allow everyone or no one.

****tier by the day for the Pac 12, but it's actually looking better every day that there will be SEC/ACC/BIG/Big 12 football.
mind linking some of the sources you're seeing that's leading to this outlook?

mind linking some of the sources you're seeing that's leading to this outlook?
It's more of an aggregation of articles, opinions and statements made by ADs and conference commissioners over the last week or so. The general consensus seems to be that a lot of CFB is going to start close to on time, but not all P5 conferences could be part of it and not every team in every P5 conference could be part of it. One article I read was talking about it and how if the Pac 12 decides not to start on time, USC should go Independent. I also don't know about fans in the stands, although, I would imagine most SEC programs aren't going to say no to that revenue.

Apologies, I thought we were discussing CU football here.

Seriously though, a life without football... I'm not prepared.
We'll see. If Colorado is "open" and students are on campus, I could see a scenario where CU football plays some kind of season, even if some other Pac 12 schools don't (what would be the reasoning for not playing if campus is open?). The other conferences are likely going to need opponents for at least a game or two, depending on which states and programs resume football activities. I don't know, there's a lot of speculation about what could happen, but most things I've been seeing suggest the SEC is, without question, going to have a season and I don't think the Big 12 or BIG are too far behind. The ACC is a little trickier because it extends into the North East where **** is a lot worse, but you think Clemson and the other southern ACC programs are sitting out if the SEC is playing? Of course not.

The rudest awakening for SEC programs is the likely scenario that forces them into playing at least a 9 game conference schedule

The ADs talking about crowds and regular schedules are myopic. One quick way to invite statewide outbreaks is to congregate a bunch of fans for a weekend and then let them disperse back home afterward. Add in regional southern cities like Nashville or Atlanta having fans either coming or going and the problem becomes worse. New Orleans already got the bad experience from Mardi Gras. Is Louisiana really going to repeat that for LSU games?

It's hard to imagine what the impact would be if some programs have a season in 2020, while others do not. The effects on transfers and recruiting would absolutely crush some programs.

Also interesting to think about the ramifications of cancelling the entire season. Every program would essentially have a 45 - 50 member freshman class in 2021. Would they have to increase class sizes in 2015 and 2016 to allow for the huge numbers that will need to be replaced?

The ADs talking about crowds and regular schedules are myopic. One quick way to invite statewide outbreaks is to congregate a bunch of fans for a weekend and then let them disperse back home afterward. Add in regional southern cities like Nashville or Atlanta having fans either coming or going and the problem becomes worse. New Orleans already got the bad experience from Mardi Gras. Is Louisiana really going to repeat that for LSU games?
Florida opened it's beaches, Georgia practically didn't even shut down, and Louisiana continued with Mardi Gras. Yes, I believe they are going to do everything they can to make it as close to normal as possible. They don't care about this virus.

We'll see. If Colorado is "open" and students are on campus, I could see a scenario where CU football plays some kind of season, even if some other Pac 12 schools don't (what would be the reasoning for not playing if campus is open?). The other conferences are likely going to need opponents for at least a game or two, depending on which states and programs resume football activities. I don't know, there's a lot of speculation about what could happen, but most things I've been seeing suggest the SEC is, without question, going to have a season and I don't think the Big 12 or BIG are too far behind. The ACC is a little trickier because it extends into the North East where **** is a lot worse, but you think Clemson and the other southern ACC programs are sitting out if the SEC is playing? Of course not.

If a majority of the Power 5 decides to play, there will be football IMO. The teams in league who can play will play each other-and then we'll see collaboration as a sport. Here's an example. Let's say California says no football in the fall. CU is scheduled to go to Stanford on 11/14. San Diego State is scheduled to play BYU that same day. Under that hypothetical, why not have CU and BYU play? Its a fairly easy trip for whoever's traveling party isn't hosting the game.

It's hard to imagine what the impact would be if some programs have a season in 2020, while others do not. The effects on transfers and recruiting would absolutely crush some programs.

Also interesting to think about the ramifications of cancelling the entire season. Every program would essentially have a 45 - 50 member freshman class in 2021. Would they have to increase class sizes in 2015 and 2016 to allow for the huge numbers that will need to be replaced?
I don't understand this. First, it's not like very many can transfer and play right away in 2020, not enough open schollies, and everyone should be playing in 2021. Second, the only reason to increase scholarships is if the NCAA decides to give seniors a chance to play if it's cancelled. Otherwise, you just play with what you've got.

Back