What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

It is wholly unfair to transpose the historical CTE issues in this sport on to todays game. Since the reality of CTE has come to the forefront, it is true that many players (and parents) have elected to continue on with the sport knowing full well what dangers might loom in the form of CTE. It is also true, though, that the game itself has changed dramatically in the last decade. Limits on contact in practice, concussion protocol, dangerous hits/tackles being legislated out of the game, different coaching techniques being used, and helmet technology being advanced for the first time in 50 years, all have made the game dramatically safer as it relates to head trauma (the cause of CTE). Because of all of these changes, the truth is, no one knows what sort of impact, if any, CTE will have on todays players as they get older. Because the game actually addressed the risk in a thoughtful (albeit, often frustrating) way, I have no qualms in supporting the game of FB because I have seen first hand that the behavior in the sport that was leading to the tragic CTE results, has now been largely eliminated.

Comparing the above to CV-19, something we still have a lot to learn about WRT actual risks and long term affects on a persons health, is truly apples and oranges in my mind.
Choose one right now, Covid or CTE?

Sounds like the machines that carry the capability to do rapid, daily testing is a Pac 12 only thing right now. And honestly, that's the only way it works the right way (hint: this is the NFL model that is working extremely well).

Scott is still a POS

Choose one right now, Covid or CTE?
If you're asking me which risk I would rather take on as a player in todays game? I would chose CTE hands down. I feel strongly that players playing in todays game are going to have a very small fraction of the impact on their lives from CTE that players from 20 years ago had/have...but only time will tell if that's true. There is just so many unknowns still with CV-19, AND its infectious.

Sounds like the machines that carry the capability to do rapid, daily testing is a Pac 12 only thing right now. And honestly, that's the only way it works the right way (hint: this is the NFL model that is working extremely well).

Yeah that is the part I was sort of confused about with the other conferences that are playing. Is takes 2 days to get tests back for the general public so what good is a test like that when you go and practice against each other every day?

If you're asking me which risk I would rather take on as a player in todays game? I would chose CTE hands down. I feel strongly that players playing in todays game are going to have a very small fraction of the impact on their lives from CTE that players from 20 years ago had...but only time will tell if that's true. There is just so many unknowns still with CV-19, AND its infectious.
But you’re discounting the largest part of the equation, if they opt out of the season does their chance of contracting Covid go up or down? Same?

But you’re discounting the largest part of the equation, if they opt out of the season does their chance of contracting Covid go up or down? Same?
Before I can answer that, I need to know if they will be residing in a red state, or a blue state when playing or not playing.

Teasing aside, that is an impossible question to answer. Does the individual take appropriate safety precautions when not playing? If so, I say the likelihood of them contracting the virus goes way down by not playing, because they are subject to their own personal decisions only. If they are on a team sharing facilities, locker rooms and meeting rooms, they are invariably subject to all of their teammates personal decisions as well.

Now if they are the type that thinks that the virus is a hoax, and carries out their lives accordingly, then they are likely much safer in the controlled environment of the team.

The point is, CTE was addressed by the sport, and I think it is controllable, in large part, with many of the changes they have made to the game. COVID has unknown long term affects, and it's not controllable in large part. It is apples and oranges, and I don't think you should justify the unknown risk of COVID by pointing to CTE.

If you want to justify COVID, show me a plan to mitigate it that works, or prove to me that these potential long term affects are null. I haven't seen that yet.

"Quidel's Sofia 2 testing machine is expected to be available on each Pac-12 campus by the end of this month, but it is unclear how the capability will impact the conference's return-to-play timeline."

Need to spin this that our conference has been working on solutions since March. All on same page, no parents suing, not following B1G lead. If these machines do provide effective results and will be delivered to all campuses by end of month, as well as, CA opens up a bit, we can write our own narrative to save some face. Would be better than the alternative.

At this point, I'd be fine with a season starting in late Nov/Dec and finishing up Feb/Mar. Screw the other conferences.

Alameda county (where Cal is) had the deadliest day of the pandemic yesterday until the record was surpassed today.

In what can’t possibly be 100% coincidental, the CDC is telling local health agencies to be prepared to distribute “millions” of vaccines starting November 1.

While it's obviously political, it IS good advice to be ready so that we don't have another massive **** up like we did with masks, ventilators, tests, swabs, sanitizer, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

He also added that this isn't expected to accelerate the timeline for a return to play

It probably ensures BB starts in late November. For football-I've read that Newsom isn't allowing UCLA, USC, Cal, and Stanford to practice still. I also think that what the Big 10 does will have some effect on what we do. The second Rose Bowl idea is obviously out there, but I've seen that expanded.....to like one game against a team from the other conference at the end of whatever conference only season we'll both play.

It probably ensures BB starts in late November. For football-I've read that Newsom isn't allowing UCLA, USC, Cal, and Stanford to practice still. I also think that what the Big 10 does will have some effect on what we do. The second Rose Bowl idea is obviously out there, but I've seen that expanded.....to like one game against a team from the other conference at the end of whatever conference only season we'll both play.
Oregon schools can’t practice either

Oregon schools can’t practice either
The conference can make all the decisions it wants but the governors have the ability with the stroke of a pen to upset any and all plans.

I don't see California opening up any time soon for football, even with empty stadiums. Oregon doesn't look to be in any hurry either.

Washington State was the first state in the country to have large outbreaks and the first to shut down. Don't think they would hesitate to clamp down with a new surge and we know that Colorado is willing to remain cautious and Polis will put the brakes on sports.

What people forget is that this thing isn't a permanent situation. Testing is getting faster, easier, and much cheaper. More importantly first generation vaccines are just around the corner.

We can likely have relatively safe football if we are willing to wait a few more months.

The conference can make all the decisions it wants but the governors have the ability with the stroke of a pen to upset any and all plans.

I don't see California opening up any time soon for football, even with empty stadiums. Oregon doesn't look to be in any hurry either.

Washington State was the first state in the country to have large outbreaks and the first to shut down. Don't think they would hesitate to clamp down with a new surge and we know that Colorado is willing to remain cautious and Polis will put the brakes on sports.

What people forget is that this thing isn't a permanent situation. Testing is getting faster, easier, and much cheaper. More importantly first generation vaccines are just around the corner.

We can likely have relatively safe football if we are willing to wait a few more months.

California has okayed sports. Baseball is playing in empty stadiums there, and the NFL will be too come next weekend.

Pac 12 doing a great job handling all of this. Now if we can just get the numbers in control for local governments to be able to ease restrictions I could see this all coming together sooner Than anticipated.
Honestly for all the hate Larry Scott gets (and he deserves it all) he deserves a bunch of praise over how he has handled this.

The conference has (outwardly at least) been in lockstep through this whole thing and now this. Compare this to the B1G where there is a bunch of kicking and screaming and nothing getting done.

Unfortunately I don't see this moving things up too far dinner the Cali schools can't even practice legally. When that changes things could accelerate.

I forget exactly how long ago, maybe a month, the ASU Biodesign Institute developed a saliva test. You just spit into a straw and get results in 48 hours. It's free to students, just don't know their capacity or if they've provided it outside ASU.

Here come the protests in Boulder that rapid testing shouldn't be reserved for athletes.
This is where I think the saliva test ASU developed could help. The 2 day reponse is good enough for most people, i.e. not so inconvenient that you stop your life. People with required maskless close contact have more urgent needs.

Back