What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

There are some firms developing rapid testing with hopeful deliveries for next 2-4 months but they won’t be cheap.
Abbott Labs has already shipped 1.7 million units of their Covid-!9 Tester. It's portable, so maybe the conference could purchase a couple, and have it as a shared resource? One issue, is it tests for antigens, only revealing if someone has had Covid or not. So it wouldn't be able to identify someone who was currently infected, and hadn't developed antigens yet.
https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...date-on-abbotts-work-on-COVID-19-testing.html

Abbott Labs has already shipped 1.7 million units of their Covid-!9 Tester. It's portable, so maybe the conference could purchase a couple, and have it as a shared resource? One issue, is it tests for antigens, only revealing if someone has had Covid or not. So it wouldn't be able to identify someone who was currently infected, and hadn't developed antigens yet.
https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom...date-on-abbotts-work-on-COVID-19-testing.html
Yeah, I feel like these antibody/antigen tests will be useful going forward, but it’ll be vital for each school to have their own rapid testing. You don’t want a positive player anywhere near the rest of the program.

Is it even feasible to test for every game? Maybe I have missed something but those tests aren't instant and has to be sent in to be examined.

I think more and more people will see the abbott type machines that can provide results in a close to instant manner before sporting events.

I think more and more people will see the abbott type machines that can provide results in a close to instant manner before sporting events.
[/QUOT

indeed. But need better specificity and sensitivity than ABBV machine.

Klatt on outkick this morning on the Pac 12 specifically-the California schools playing in an open state (Arizona, Colorado, Utah) is on the table. He said several ADs have gone behind the back of the conference for contingency plans because Larry Scott doesn't have the political capital that some of the other commissioners do.

That was a great interview with Klatt. He also pointed out that these state schools (SDSU, Fresno, San Jose State) which have already said they're going to remote learning are for the most part commuter schools, therefore a vast majority of their students come from in state. However the 2 UC schools Cal and UCLA get a much higher percentage of out of state students which of course they get more money from, so these schools not having students on campus would pretty much kill the UC system. Therefore Cal and UCLA are almost certainly going to have students on campus come this fall. And with Stanford and USC being private everyone pays the same tuition but a good portion of their students undoubtedly come from out of state too.

Another thing he said was that he has had discussions with top-level people from various schools who have very heavy influence on decision making and he is 98-100% sure that college football will happen this fall.

The ID Now rapid test is not an antigen/antibody test. It is a molecular test that looks for the viral RNA. The Alinity i test is the antibody test.

The ID Now rapid test is not an antigen/antibody test. It is a molecular test that looks for the viral RNA. The Alinity i test is the antibody test.
I’m not sure the Abbott kit is good enough for same day rapid testing for sports. Recent NYU data showed a ton of false negatives. Gottlieb likes other rapid test (45 mins) better.

Done correctly, ADs will need to budget 6 figures for testing.

test, trace, isolate remains essential for control.

Seeing several schools commit now to in-person classes being done by Thanksgiving.

Schools are desperate to avoid having a bunch of students delay enrollment.
Oh, yeah. That is for sure. I just hadn't heard word of an abbreviated semester. Very curious what that would look like.

Notre Dame starting (or planning to start) classes early per https://ndsmcobserver.com/2020/05/n...nd-to-fall-semester-suspension-of-fall-break/ .

"
Notre Dame will begin the 2020 fall semester the week of August 10, eliminating fall break and finishing the semester before Thanksgiving, University President Fr. John Jenkins said in an email to students on Monday.

In addition to preventing the spread of viruses caused by students leaving for breaks, becoming exposed to infections and then returning to campus, the University plans on instating a comprehensive testing protocol. Students who test positive will be isolated and those who have come in close contact will be quarantined.

“We will continue the testing, contact tracing and quarantining protocol throughout the semester, acting aggressively to isolate or quarantine as necessary,” Jenkins said in the email. “We will also institute a number of other health and safety measures.”
"

Oh, yeah. That is for sure. I just hadn't heard word of an abbreviated semester. Very curious what that would look like.

Three schools I read about today:

Notre Dame and Montana State are starting semesters earlier to end by Thanksgiving. Lots of safety protocols in place.

Sout Carolina is ending in-person classes before Thanksgiving and then going to finals remotely after the Thanksgiving weekend.

Seems like the players are going to have to live together in a hotel to create a controlled environment
If a team has a positive player test, then technically that team is down for 14 days, right?
I think this next year will be the largest GAP YEAR in college history! The class of 2020 and 2021 will then the largest Freshman class in Fall 2021. Talking about normal student body, not CFB players. The general fund will get a kick in the nuts in 2020-2021.

Seems like the players are going to have to live together in a hotel to create a controlled environment
If a team has a positive player test, then technically that team is down for 14 days, right?
I think this next year will be the largest GAP YEAR in college history! The class of 2020 and 2021 will then the largest Freshman class in Fall 2021. Talking about normal student body, not CFB players. The general fund will get a kick in the nuts in 2020-2021.

We don't know yet-my guess would be the conferences would all come up with a somewhat standardized protocol for this. MLB (the only team sport to release a protocol for that) said they would not isolate an entire team because of one positive test. In that case, that player would be isolated until they tested negative twice.

Three schools I read about today:

Notre Dame and Montana State are starting semesters earlier to end by Thanksgiving. Lots of safety protocols in place.

Sout Carolina is ending in-person classes before Thanksgiving and then going to finals remotely after the Thanksgiving weekend.
I think these are smart approaches.

We don't know yet-my guess would be the conferences would all come up with a somewhat standardized protocol for this. MLB (the only team sport to release a protocol for that) said they would not isolate an entire team because of one positive test. In that case, that player would be isolated until they tested negative twice.
I’m coming around to this idea if the traced contacts are tested every other day for two weeks AND if this protocol Is consistent with that of the state for the overall population. I also favor Taking on-line class For the football team to the extent possible.

All coaches and support personnel over 60 or with predisposing conditions should be tested every other day as well.

Older members of support staff (trainers, food servers, academic advisors, etc) should be reassigned to jobs with less contact.

Just my $0.02 in the search for solutions.

Agreed, but it just seems irrelevant whether they start and end the semester a few weeks early. Just have a normal schedule
Takes advantage of the hope that warmer weather leads to less transmission (as is the case for related viruses), and even more importantly, avoids students going to all sorts of places during Thanksgiving only to come back to campus after having been exposed to who knows what.

A&M AD Ross Bjork said that both RG and Fresno's AD (Fresno is scheduled to go down there in October IIRC) both said those games are happening. The closer and closer we get the more and more it looks like everybody's playing. Money talks.

Back