What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Copy and pasted...

Copied and pasted from my buddy Calley Poarch. Please read it all, you might learn a thing or three.

Ok, here’s my aviation related contribution to stemming the panic about this virus. How germy is the air in an airplane? Awful right? It’s a flying petri dish with 150 people trapped in a metal tube re-breathing the same air for hours, right?

NO!! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO……HECK NO!!

Truth is, the air in a commercial airplane is probably the cleanest air you’ll breathe ALL DAY. Here’s why.

Airplanes need to pressurize so you can still breathe when you’re at high altitude. To do this we need to pump lots of air into the cabin to get it to the right pressure. Where does this extra air come from? The outside. And where are you when we pump this outside air into the cabin? Usually very high, well above any city pollution below. That’s clean air up there.

The engines which are constantly gulping down enormous amounts of air every minute and spitting it out the back at high speed to provide propulsion, also supply the air to the cabin. Some of that high-pressure air is tapped off the engines, cooled, filtered and delivered to the cabin. No airplane is airtight, and air from inside is constantly leaking out of all sorts of places. In addition, every airplane has one or more relief valves that vent excess air to the outside. That valve is constantly moving throughout the flight to release excess air, because the engines are constantly pumping in new, fresh air. If there was no relief valve the plane would over pressurize and crack.

Yes, some of the cabin air IS recirculated within the cabin. It’s drawn out of the cabin, run through air filters, and sent back to the cabin. But remember, the plane is constantly leaking old air out, on purpose, and the engines are constantly pumping fresh, clean air in. So while some of the air you breathe is in fact, old air, it’s still filtered and it is constantly supplemented and replaced with fresh air.

I read a study years ago that I should have saved, and now I’m too lazy to find it again. They looked at air quality in commercial airplanes and basically found that in every case the air in the cabin was far cleaner than the outside air, with one exception. That only exception, where their tests of air quality failed, was when the airplane was PARKED AT THE GATE WITH THE DOOR OPEN!

So can you get sick on an airplane? Sure. If you’re seated right next to someone who is sick, you may catch it, but this is no different than standing in line at the grocery store, sitting in the waiting room at the DMV, or sitting in a classroom. Proximity to sick people increases your risk for getting sick. At least on an airplane, the air you breathe, which may have some germs from the guy in the next seat, is probably still a lot cleaner than the air at the DMV….
Interesting. Thanks for the read.

Happy to help. A pilot friend of mine had that on his FB page and I just copied it from there. To be honest, I was of the same opinion as you before reading that.
Yeah. I guess the really scummy parts come from the germ infested vent control knobs on the air blowers, food trays, window coverings, and bathroom handles/latches. The air itself is good but the surfaces are filthy, but this isn’t specific to planes. Those same non-sanitized vents and handles are in busses too.

Yeah. I guess the really scummy parts come from the germ infested vent control knobs on the air blowers, food trays, window coverings, and bathroom handles/latches. The air itself is good but the surfaces are filthy, but this isn’t specific to planes. Those same non-sanitized vents and handles are in busses too.
Yep and why I absolutely hate deadheading.

Interesting article on SI.com's front page regarding a return to college football.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future

A bit weird though that they don't reference the massive brain power of Allbuff's Hot Take Hotshots in the story.
Their individual financial interests are pervading their thought processes. After reading this article, most of them don’t pay much attention to the liability issues the universities will take on in if they don’t properly reopen.

Their individual financial interests are pervading their thought processes. After reading this article, most of them don’t pay much attention to the liability issues the universities will take on in if they don’t properly reopen.

They are certainly paying attention to liability issues, the article isn't an all inclusive College Football Opening Bible.

Which is also why the Bundesliga teams are limiting the use of their team buses to an absolute minimum. They’re being proper quarantined in a hotel for a week and they are even asking players to car pool to the training ground.

How do Universities currently handle liability issues with other infectious diseases that could cause health issues?

How do Universities currently handle liability issues with other infectious diseases that could cause health issues?
only a partial answer, but I know most have a policy requiring all students to show documentation their vaccines are up to date. I suspect demonstration they enforce this policy is sufficient to protect them from most liability in this regard.

They’re being proper quarantined in a hotel for a week and they are even asking players to car pool to the training ground.

That leaves a big gap when the car pool participants go to the market/restaurant/red-light-district/anywhere on their way to or from the hotel.

only a partial answer, but I know most have a policy requiring all students to show documentation their vaccines are up to date. I suspect demonstration they enforce this policy is sufficient to protect them from most liability in this regard.
What about diseases with no vaccine or ones that vaccinations aren't required for? If an immune compromised student dies from influenza, is the University held liable?

What about diseases with no vaccine or ones that vaccinations aren't required for? If an immune compromised student dies from influenza, is the University held liable?
To the latter, I've never heard of that happening and first order googling doesn't return results of unis being liable for flu deaths.

To the former, I would guess that the law doesn't think it's negligence for a uni to fail to take steps to prevent those. But IANAL.

To the latter, I've never heard of that happening and first order googling doesn't return results of unis being liable for flu deaths.

To the former, I would guess that the law doesn't think it's negligence for a uni to fail to take steps to prevent those. But IANAL.
I just don't see how institutions are going to be held liable for someone getting an infectious disease that is not at all a direct cause of the University (or football program).

That leaves a big gap when the car pool participants go to the market/restaurant/red-light-district/anywhere on their way to or from the hotel.

They're being told not to and will just have to be trusted to behave responsibly. Brothels are also shut and so are dine in restaurants.

There's always a risk but this is also about setting examples. They'll all be fully aware there're gaps but this is about mitigating the risk the best they can so the politicians and authorities signed off on their concept.

They're being told not to and will just have to be trusted to behave responsibly. Brothels are also shut and so are dine in restaurants.

There's always a risk but this is also about setting examples. They'll all be fully aware there're gaps but this is about mitigating the risk the best they can so the politicians and authorities signed off on their concept.

Politicians signing off and actual effectiveness look to have a large gap. If they are quarantining in the hotel but using the honor system outside the hotel is a big fail.

Go and tell those in charge, I am sure they haven't thought of that and were waiting for your input.

Those in charge. Ha ha ha. They are playing CYA without caring about actual performance of policy. If you believe that that particular system will keep the players/coaches/trainers/refs virus free I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona.

Those in charge. Ha ha ha. They are playing CYA without caring about actual performance of policy. If you believe that that particular system will keep the players/coaches/trainers/refs virus free I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona.

They're caring about the existence of professional football in Germany, nothing else. And they've said as much.

Klatt on outkick this morning on the Pac 12 specifically-the California schools playing in an open state (Arizona, Colorado, Utah) is on the table. He said several ADs have gone behind the back of the conference for contingency plans because Larry Scott doesn't have the political capital that some of the other commissioners do.

Hokie gave you a good answer. The liability here is way different though because: 1) there’s no vaccine and 2) the activity of playing football requires people to avoid distancing along with the spit. Besides that, there are not many infectious diseases that disporportionately kill black people. It’s a huge concern that I don’t think these guys take into account.

They are certainly paying attention to liability issues, the article isn't an all inclusive College Football Opening Bible.
I get that it’s not a bible. Their answers didn’t reflect a concern for liability. If I were someone in that situation, it would concern me greatly because one infection could cause a lot of dead or very sick football players. That should be their stated priority. I wonder if smaller programs will have the necessary resources to keep players isolated from the general university population and conduct daily testing.

Hokie gave you a good answer. The liability here is way different though because: 1) there’s no vaccine and 2) the activity of playing football requires people to avoid distancing along with the spit. Besides that, there are not many infectious diseases that disporportionately kill black people. It’s a huge concern that I don’t think these guys take into account.
Based on that logic, if Universities aren't held liable for CTE or life threatening injuries from playing, I don't see how they would be held liable for COVID. Maybe offer players the option not to participate if they object, without any repercussions to scholarships.

If I were someone in that situation, it would concern me greatly because one infection could cause a lot of dead or very sick football players. That should be their stated priority. I wonder if smaller programs will have the necessary resources to keep players isolated from the general university population and conduct daily testing.

Northwestern, Oregon, Iowa among others have run their kids in off season conditioning so hard they literally killed them or put them into the hospital for weeks. The schools have crossed the health-of-the-athlete vs health-of-the-program bridge before and they always view the program as more important than the athletes.

Based on that logic, if Universities aren't held liable for CTE or life threatening injuries from playing, I don't see how they would be held liable for COVID. Maybe offer players the option not to participate if they object, without any repercussions to scholarships.
CTE lawsuits are still on the horizon. Schools are most definitely on the hook for deaths and severe injuries. I’m not sure where you got that idea.

Northwestern, Oregon, Iowa among others have run their kids in off season conditioning so hard they literally killed them or put them into the hospital for weeks. The schools have crossed the health-of-the-athlete vs health-of-the-program bridge before and they always view the program as more important than the athletes.
And they paid for those deaths. With this virus, one infected person can cause major damage.

Do CTE or heat exhaustion related deaths really apply here, though? Its easy to argue in my opinion (take this for what its worth because I'm not a lawyer) that DJ Durkin and staff are liable for the death of a kid like Jordan McNair. To me, the best comparison for a COVID death on campus would be a meningitis death (vaccines for meningitis here are pretty new)-I've tried to look up a situation where a parent of a college student who died of that turned around and sued the university they attended and I can't find one. There was a lawsuit against a hospital in Oregon for a University of Oregon student (Lauren Jones) who died of meningitis. Klatt also made this point on Outkick today-often times these kids are coming from rough backgrounds. They'll get better medical care at school than they can at home. As far as spitting and other types of physical distancing rules-the KBO is giving the world a blueprint for that. They've banned spitting and discouraged high fives. I've been watching that and really haven't noticed either not happening.

CTE lawsuits are still on the horizon. Schools are most definitely on the hook for deaths and severe injuries. I’m not sure where you got that idea.
Huh? Do you have an example or a source that suggests a University is on the hook if a player is seriously injured during the course of play? How is the University liable for that? That's definitely not the case unless it is found that specific safety precautions weren't taken. I'll also believe the CTE lawsuits against Universities when I see them.

The best comparison for the vaccine situation IMO would be a meningitis death (vaccines for meningitis here are pretty new)-I've tried to look up a situation where a parent of a college student who died of that turned around and sued the university they attended and I can't find one. As far as spitting and other types of physical distancing rules-the KBO is giving the world a blueprint for that. They've banned spitting and discouraged high fives. I've been watching that and really haven't noticed either not happening.
When you’re in a pile, there’s 0.0% chance that saliva will stay in the player’s mouths even if they’re not hocking a loogie.

Back