What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Official Fall Camp Thread

The only way Colorado has 7-8 games in the win column is if we collect forfeits as a result of the other teams having COVID outbreaks.

If the offensive line play improves at the same clip that it did last year, this is not a bad football team. DL, Linebackers, Cornerback are all veterans and improved. Running back and wide receiver rooms are strong. QB is a tough competitor and proven that he can play at a high level.

I know that you have been down on HCKD as a recruiter and I get that. There should be no argument however, that he can coach up a team. Last years team was tough and disciplined. It was the first team in as long as I can remember that wasn't plagued with stupid penalties, self inflicted wounds and undisciplined play. It was easily the best coached CU team since the GB era. (maybe even before) I think Dorrell should get some credit for that.

If Lewis stays healthy there is fairly good chance that we could win 7.

If the offensive line play improves at the same clip that it did last year, this is not a bad football team. DL, Linebackers, Cornerback are all veterans and improved. Running back and wide receiver rooms are strong. QB is a tough competitor and proven that he can play at a high level.

I know that you have been down on HCKD as a recruiter and I get that. There should be no argument however, that he can coach up a team. Last years team was tough and disciplined. It was the first team in as long as I can remember that wasn't plagued with stupid penalties, self inflicted wounds and undisciplined play. It was easily the best coached CU team since the GB era. (maybe even before) I think Dorrell should get some credit for that.

If Lewis stays healthy there is fairly good chance that we could win 7.
The two biggest reasons why Colorado won four games last year was because: 1) Colorado handled COVID better than nearly every other P12 team; and 2) the early portion of the schedule was very favorable. Once Colorado played good teams, it looked like we were JV level.

The schedule is not favorable this season aside from a few gimmes. Given the lack of depth at key positions and a far more difficult schedule than the one we saw last season, it is unreasonable to predict that Colorado will get anywhere near seven wins. The one saving grace is that our staff has a great track record managing COVID. This can pave the way to a few wins that probably wouldn’t have been wins on the field.

I can squint and maybe see seven, but eight against this schedule seems like a massive reach IMO.

It's not the only way, but probably the most likely. If Brendan Lewis is legit and stays healthy all season, all bets are off. The defense should be a pretty good unit.
The OL also has to be legit. As we know, the depth at that position is not good. The same depth questions surround the interior portion of the DL.

The schedule is the most daunting task. The schedule this year does not have many layups. Staying healthy alone will be a challenge against these much more physical sides. Winning the games is another challenge thing altogether.

It will also be a very fine line for the coaches to walk in the first couple weeks. Both games could be blowouts in opposite directions, but Lewis needs reps too.

I included the offensive line preview from Woelk. As always these guys have to be good. Also need depth for someone to be ready to step in if anyone goes down. Getting some game reps for backups early on is important. So far I think Mitch Rodrigue has done a pretty good job. Probably a lot better than most who follow the program thought he would do.
As far as those guys who will run the ball and also be called upon to block from the backfield at times, my opinion is Broussard, Fontenot, Clayton and Stacks. Of course, I don't see everything, but that probably says something by omission until proven otherwise.
Rodrigue has done a fine job teaching, implementing and reshuffling through injuries.

But recruiting is most of the job.

The OL also has to be legit. As we know, the depth at that position is not good. The same depth questions surround the interior portion of the DL.

The schedule is the most daunting task. The schedule this year does not have many layups. Staying healthy alone will be a challenge against these much more physical sides. Winning the games is another challenge thing altogether.
I think, when/if healthy, the OL will be pretty good. It was pretty good last year and returns everyone except Sherman, but replaces him with Wray and they get Pursell back from injury. The only real question I have on offense from a 1s perspective is TE. Russell is steady eddy but they’ll need a more dynamic receiving option.

I will also say they were every bit able to play with Utah on both sides of the ball until Landman went out. He is one of the biggest difference makers in the Pac 12. Also, (possibly) getting MJ back is a huge boost to the IDL.

I think, when/if healthy, the OL will be pretty good. It was pretty good last year and returns everyone except Sherman, but replaces him with Wray and they get Pursell back from injury. The only real question I have on offense from a 1s perspective is TE. Russell is steady eddy but they’ll need a more dynamic receiving option.

I will also say they were every bit able to play with Utah on both sides of the ball until Landman went out. He is one of the biggest difference makers in the Pac 12. Also, (possibly) getting MJ back is a huge boost to the IDL.
The teams we played last year in the early part of the season were not up to snuff. I think there’s some mean regression due to that unit, especially against DLs with a full offseason.

It will also be a very fine line for the coaches to walk in the first couple weeks. Both games could be blowouts in opposite directions, but Lewis needs reps too.
My hope is that the Texas A&M offense is a bit of synch at the start of the season. They lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball - Mond at QB, I think four of five linemen, a very good TE. I think Haynes King has the inside track to start at QB. He’s a big kid, fast, so he’ll pose a major containment issue for the Buffs D. I really worry that guy will torch us on the ground like Tate did with the Wildcats. But...if we can keep contain, and he struggles with his accuracy, then the score may be closer than many expect. The problem, though, is I have a hard time envisioning CU scoring more than, say, 21 points against their D.

I can squint and maybe see seven, but eight against this schedule seems like a massive reach IMO.
Dislike Squinting GIF

The two biggest reasons why Colorado won four games last year was because: 1) Colorado handled COVID better than nearly every other P12 team; and 2) the early portion of the schedule was very favorable. Once Colorado played good teams, it looked like we were JV level.

The schedule is not favorable this season aside from a few gimmes. Given the lack of depth at key positions and a far more difficult schedule than the one we saw last season, it is unreasonable to predict that Colorado will get anywhere near seven wins. The one saving grace is that our staff has a great track record managing COVID. This can pave the way to a few wins that probably wouldn’t have been wins on the field.
I’m not sure I agree with the JV team comparison, but in your defense the Pac-12 south looks to be really good this year. ASU, USC, and Utah all look legit and UCLA looks tough too. It is going to be a hard road for sure.

My hope is that the Texas A&M offense is a bit of synch at the start of the season. They lost a lot on the offensive side of the ball - Mond at QB, I think four of five linemen, a very good TE. I think Haynes King has the inside track to start at QB. He’s a big kid, fast, so he’ll pose a major containment issue for the Buffs D. I really worry that guy will torch us on the ground like Tate did with the Wildcats. But...if we can keep contain, and he struggles with his accuracy, then the score may be closer than many expect. The problem, though, is I have a hard time envisioning CU scoring more than, say, 21 points against their D.
If we stay within 20 of the Aggies it will be a huge victory. A&M is a VERRRRRY GOOOOOOOD team this year even without Mond.

I’m not sure I agree with the JV team comparison, but in your defense the Pac-12 south looks to be really good this year. ASU, USC, and Utah all look legit and UCLA looks tough too. It is going to be a hard road for sure.
Giving up 93 points in two consecutive games to conclude the season is not the signal of a team that was coached up. The schedule is very tough for Colorado. The forfeit rules benefit us greatly.

Giving up 93 points in two consecutive games to conclude the season is not the signal of a team that was coached up. The schedule is very tough for Colorado. The forfeit rules benefit us greatly.
Never take that much from a bowl game. Of course UT was bigger, faster and more talented. CU would need to rely on want-to and fierce desire and that rarely shows up in Bowl Games unless the underdog has a chip-on-their-shoulder prove-something attitude, ala Boise State normally does. CU team took a vacation to that game.

I don't really understand all the talk about our DL being thin. This is as deep as we've been forever! The last few years we've played JC guys, guys we stole from Old Dominion, and True Frosh. We didn't lose anyone from last year and while some of those I mention above are back, they have been in the program now for over 2 years. Guys with a good amount of experience include:

MJ
Lang
Sami
Janaz
Naim

In addition, Justin Jackson saw late action in '20. Murray played early before getting hurt. And then we have a few freshmen who seem like they are pushing for the rotation.

I don't really understand all the talk about our DL being thin. This is as deep as we've been forever! The last few years we've played JC guys, guys we stole from Old Dominion, and True Frosh. We didn't lose anyone from last year and while some of those I mention above are back, they have been in the program now for over 2 years. Guys with a good amount of experience include:

MJ
Lang
Sami
Janaz
Naim

In addition, Justin Jackson saw late action in '20. Murray played early before getting hurt. And then we have a few freshmen who seem like they are pushing for the rotation.
Jordan tore his ACL, so depth took a hit, but MJ makes up for it (if he does in fact come back)

Back