What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

My whole point is paying money for assistants and support is the way to do it.

Or we can continue exaggerating a bunch of unsubstantiated things about Mel Tucker.
I’m not giving a ton of credence to that stuff or using it as an excuse and I agree that paying for better coaches is the way to get better. Because CU seemingly isn’t willing to do that, I’m just saying that they can’t afford to run a program as clean as others if they want to win.

I don't think 15 years ago is particularly relevant.

A more apt comparison is the first five years in Pac-12 versus the last five years.
15 years ago is when we decided that bad press was worse than bad football so I do see it as relevant. We stunk compared to our peers long before moving to the PAC 12.

15 years ago is when we decided that bad press was worse than bad football so I do see it as relevant. We stunk compared to our peers long before moving to the PAC 12.

A different conference, several head coaches, a different AD, a change to state law regarding assistant coaching contracts, a different President, and major facility upgrades are really the only things different.

A different conference, several head coaches, a different AD, a different President, and major facility upgrades are really the only things different.
Exactly, and trying to be a squeaky clean program who recruits solid character players to avoid embarrassing the CU administration seems like the one constant (with the exception of 1 season after which we quickly ditched those efforts).

I’m confused what you think the solution here is - you’ve said pay more for assistants which I think pretty much everyone agrees with, but where does that money come from? We’re either paying all we can afford which isn’t easily solvable or we’re being deliberately thrifty with the budget which I can’t imagine RG or any AD would stand for. Which is it?

Exactly, and trying to be a squeaky clean program who recruits solid character players to avoid embarrassing the CU administration seems like the one constant (with the exception of 1 season after which we quickly ditched those efforts).

I’m confused what you think the solution here is - you’ve said pay more for assistants which I think pretty much everyone agrees with, but where does that money come from? We’re either paying all we can afford which isn’t easily solvable or we’re being deliberately thrifty with the budget which I can’t imagine RG or any AD would stand for. Which is it?

My point is upping assistant pay and support staff is just about the only tangible solution being offered in this thread.

Being less "squeaky clean" means what exactly? "Toeing the line" in recruiting means what exactly?

Also, simply suggesting CU shouldn’t have “pretty girls” as employees of the recruiting operation or hosts insinuates that sex is the only function they bring, which is obviously really ****ing stupid.
“The soft bigotry of low expectations,” applies here.

It may be a solution a year from now. Being less "squeaky clean" will still mean nothing.
What’s going to change a year from now?

And what was Tucker doing that CU seems to be running the opposite direction from now?

I honestly don’t understand how CU is so poor that they are literally within the bottom 10 P5 programs or so in assistant salary pool. How in the **** can Rick George make Karl Dorrell the highest paid HC in CU history and at the same time keep the AC pool stays the same?
Why didn’t KD negotiate for a bigger pool? Or did he?

Post-COVID budget and assistant coaching contracts will be up for renewal.
We hired this staff pre-COVID, why should anyone believe the assistant pool is going up next year?

Maybe there’s a little more money for recruiting operations that were shut down due to COVID but unless we found new sources of revenue somewhere, that just takes us back to pre-COVID levels where we still were bad relative to peers.

We hired this staff pre-COVID, why should anyone believe the assistant pool is going up next year?

Maybe there’s a little more money for recruiting operations that were shut down due to COVID but unless we found new sources of revenue somewhere, that just takes us back to pre-COVID levels where we still were bad relative to peers.

We were also hiring in late February.

For all we know, the next DC is going to be making more than Summers did.

we are poor because we dont win, we dont win because we dont invest in coaches who understand that its about the jimmy and joes that are needed to run the x's and o's

We were also hiring in late February.

For all we know, the next DC is going to be making more than Summers did.
Summers was not a late February hire really.

I’d be thrilled if next year we suddenly have more money for the assistant pool that we didn’t have with Hawkins or Embree or McIntyre or Tucker or Dorrell last year but I don’t share your confidence.

The solution for CU feels straightforward:

- increase the average tenure of a HC to > 3 years
- have a head coach that values recruiting but doesn’t take shortcuts
- focus on high 3 star players, if we target 4 stars make it very specific with a bias towards OL, DL, and QB
- establish a team identity and strong culture to limit attrition
- win 6-8 games a year

KD feels like a good fit for the above at the current moment
My whole point is paying money for assistants and support is the way to do it.

Or we can continue exaggerating a bunch of unsubstantiated things about Mel Tucker.
CU is not currently a good job but as Duff correctly states above there aren't a lot of great jobs out there.

CU is not far away from being a good job.

Coaching tenure would help but to get that they need better talent.

To get better talent recruit better, as Zach says focus on a level of players that would let us compete with "most" P5 teams. Get away from the G5 kids.

The way to do this is to have a coach and a staff that emphasize recruiting. Player development is a fantasy, nobody wins by turning a bunch of MWC recruits into a P5 team, Nobody wins emphasizing "hidden gems" and late bloomers. Recruit P5 quality players and you end up with a P5 roster.

Team identity and team culture only happen if you are winning enough games to have a positive experience for the players, goes back to talent which means recruiting.

Having a specific focus in recruiting can make you more effective. A lot of schools put an emphasis on the trenches and win with it. If you control the LOS you have a chance in almost every game.

Point is though that as long as they are willing to have a coach and staff that don't make recruiting priority #1, as long as they are willing to go cheap with assistants and hire guys who aren't highly motivated recruiters this program is going to be closer to the bottom than the top.

The things they need to do to become a good program don't require that they cheat, forget academic or behavioral standards, or turn the program into something CU supporters would be less than proud of.

What they do have to do though is decide that winning matters and be willing to make changes to get there.

how far are we from being UW in terms of resources? That seems like the place we should be trying to emulate as much as possible unless they're miles away in terms of resources

how far are we from being UW in terms of resources? That seems like the place we should be trying to emulate as much as possible unless they're miles away in terms of resources

I never understood why schools like Utah or Wyoming were so successful, but we're not... apart from totally dropping the ball with some coaching hires/scandals... why aren't we on their level?

I never understood why schools like Utah or Wyoming were so successful, but we're not... apart from totally dropping the ball with some coaching hires/scandals... why aren't we on their level?

Utah I completely agree but Wyoming hasn't been that successful. Not that WR was referring to Wyoming...

**** it, CU. Is now a basketball school now. Duke of football. Poor all resources into what Tad is doing.

I am not sure Football is worth it at CU anymore. The AD has quit on this program when they allow a coach to talk about 2 stars and what he can do with the. This staff is what they are and that is not a legit P5 staff.

**** it, CU. Is now a basketball school now. Duke of football. Poor all resources into what Tad is doing.

I am not sure Football is worth it at CU anymore. The AD has quit on this program when they allow a coach to talk about 2 stars and what he can do with the. This staff is what they are and that is not a legit P5 staff.

A basketball ball school that hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in over 50 years

Back