What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Utah got a lot of JC kids. CU transfer policy discouraged Juco transfers until changes were made recently. CU is on the right track. Rome wasn't built in one day. The 2020 recruiting class was good. The 2021 class was okay, but not as good. Will give KD a pass, he was hired late. Got to use the transfer portal to improve the 2021 recruiting class.

Utah got a lot of JC kids. CU transfer policy discouraged Juco transfers until changes were made recently.
Utah has gotten some JUCOs. They have done much better than us though at recruiting OL and DL out of high school, They do very well in the Polynesian community and have hit targeted areas very effectively.

Emphasizing what Duff has referred to earlier. Colorado's failures haven't been because of school policies or any of those other excuses. They have been because we haven't recruited.

I’ll take Wyoming’s Bowl appearance record over ours for thr last 18 yrs or so.
If you compare program to program they are a G5 team that if they played a PAC12 schedule would get killed as they wore down. They will go toe to toe for a game given the opportunity but not a series of games. They win enough games against their level of competition to go to bowls though, we don't.

More importantly though despite some real handicaps they recruit to be competitive at their level, something we don't do so from that perspective yes they are much more successful than we are.

I reject the premise we have significant recruiting handicaps. At least not ones that aren't self imposed. Sure, I'm a homer but CU has as much, or more to offer recruits than a lot of places. Spend some damn money on it, we'll win more games, we'll make more money, we'll spend more money, we'll make more money and over and over.

I just got a chance to watch Dorrell's last zoom call and had a few thoughts.

I do feel a little more encouraged to the monkey in the room on recruiting. I got the sense that the "background checks" have more to do with getting as many eyes on a recruit as possible and vetting with as many people as possible. I think he wants his entire staff and recruiting staff to sign off on a recruit. A lot of departments just rely on their initial contact, position coach, and sometimes the head coach. Hiring assistants that fill those philosophies are extremely important.

I could be completely off on this assessment, but I wasn't discouraged with what he said at all. I've been encouraged with Dorrell the past month or so.

There are programs that have won clean. I think CU will be okay if we don't go over to the dark side. The goal should be to develop student athletes. I am okay with being a program like Notre dame or Stanford or Northwestern or Boise State or Utah or Navy or Airforce and etc. Winning a championship will be a bonus. RG should have stopped Mel Tucker from using attractive students to recruit players. I am glad he has now stopped the practice.
Boise State has zero academic standards!!! Do not include them

If CU makes a bowl game in 2021, which group will be the first to accept that CU is really not that bad: CU fans or the national media?
Not that bad is a big step up from where we had been with two bowl appearances in a decade and a half.

I like KD, I think he is a good coach and a good man, We will never have to be embarrassed to have him associated with the university.

With the talent level we have we aren't likely to win the South but over the next couple years winning enough to go to bowls is a reasonable expectation.

The big concern is if he will repeat what he did at UCLA where he took the existing roster and coached it to some quality seasons in his early years, then the program started to gradually tail off as the failure to recruit at a high enough level set in.

It is still to be seen if he will repeat the Bruins experience or if he has learned from it and we will see improved recruiting.

But he decided he’d rather wait for a better job than take this one. Why? Why did Butch Jones turn us down? Why did Tucker leave after 1 year? Money, sure but seems like there are institutional problems with this program that make it a bad job. I’m sure it’s a combination of resources for staff and resources for a recruiting operation, but I believe it’s also administration level commitment to doing what is needed to actually field a winner.

I’ve said this before, but if we have decided we want to run a clean program and recruit high character players, that’s fine but don’t sell us the idea that we want to compete for championships.
Boom!!

Not to rain on anyone's parade, because the Barnes news is good. He looks like a player.

But why did Dorrell make a big show of telling us the whole D would be back... then he fired the DC... then Mustafa Johnson declares for the draft, and Rakestraw and Jones enter the portal... That's practically the opposite of the D coming back.

Barnes is good, and if we get Lamb (and more) I'll feel a lot more comfortable, but damn.

Will see how it shakes out, but the CU fans fretting about the "loss" of Tyson Summers is confounding to me.

I don't think this was directed at me per se, but I'm not fretting about the loss. I'm just confused why Dorrell would make a point of talking about defensive stability, make a bold claim about returning starters on defense and then... fire Summers and knock over the dominoes. Seems weird.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement until we see who the new guy is.

I don't think this was directed at me per se, but I'm not fretting about the loss. I'm just confused why Dorrell would make a point of talking about defensive stability, make a bold claim about returning starters on defense and then... fire Summers and knock over the dominoes. Seems weird.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement until we see who the new guy is.
Any new thoughts on said NEW GUY?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, because the Barnes news is good. He looks like a player.

But why did Dorrell make a big show of telling us the whole D would be back... then he fired the DC... then Mustafa Johnson declares for the draft, and Rakestraw and Jones enter the portal... That's practically the opposite of the D coming back.

Barnes is good, and if we get Lamb (and more) I'll feel a lot more comfortable, but damn.
Other than Johnson, all of those guys are easily replaceable IMO. I like all of them but I felt as if Rakestraw and Jones can easily be recruited over, especially in the transfer portal.

But Lang, Landman are coming back.

Back