What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Legit question. Is that considered fast for a TE running track? I don’t know anything about track. What would someone guess any of our current TEs would run?
Anything sub-11 is considered really good in the 100, so for someone who is 6'5" 235 lbs, an 11.11 would seem to be pretty fast. He appears to be a pretty good athlete.
I thought he blue shirted or something? I can’t even remember.
Yeah, he did. CU's site has him appearing in 4 games in 2019 on KR. Not sure what his PT last season looked like, but 2021 will be his 3rd season on campus. If he isn't a factor by now and Fauria and Olsen pass him on the depth chart, then I have to think they'll move him along.

11.11 is average, not fast. There are girls that run 10.85. Flojo I believe ran 10.49. Fast will be between sub 10 to about 10.80. Stanley first race was about 10.65. Really good for his first race. If he puts in the work, he can improve that time.

I should know better, but a 10.2 makes you the state champ in the boys' 100 m in most states. I am gonna go out on a limb and guess none of the kids who can do that check in north of 170#. A 235# guy who can turn a 11.1 100 m is plenty fast for P12 CFB.
In high school those kids are probably still in the 150s. . .

This dude is big and athletic. . . Straight line speed for a TE is a valuable characteristic!!!

For reference, Mark Perry (6'0' 200 lbs) ran a 10.65 and Stanley (6'0 195 lbs) ran a 10.85 a couple weeks ago. Also, I misspoke earlier. His Tweet says 11.01 in the 100. He has elite TE speed.
Stanley is running against CBs, Perry is covering WRs. We are talking about a guy who needs to run faster than Strong Safeties and OLBs.

Yeah, at 6'5" 235, 11.01 is plenty fast.

TE like Pitts and Ingram run sub 4.4. Kelce ran the 40 at about 4.5 seconds. Just as fast as many receivers. 11 sec is average to me. He is fast enough to get the job done, but not elite fast.

Legit question. Is that considered fast for a TE running track? I don’t know anything about track. What would someone guess any of our current TEs would run?
I ran track in college and have coached track for some years. 11.01 is not slow. And I would never call that average. Maybe average for a college sprinter. The vast majority of high school kids will never even sniff 11s. His track season is probably not over yet either and you tend to get faster as the season goes. He may even qualify for the state track meet in a lot of states with that time. Last of all, he is 235lbs which is massive for a sprinter. He likely decelerates more after 50meters than others because of how big he is. You can look up the weights of sprinters, they’re not big guys. Usain Bolt may be the biggest one I know of and he is just over 200lbs...... this is all to say, he is plenty fast to play football, especially tight end. I imagine his 40 time is in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. Its not an exact science, there are different phases in sprinting and you actually reach top speed roughly 35 to 55 meters into the race and you are decelerating 60 meters onward. As in, Usain Bolt isn’t speeding up at the end of his races when he separates from the other sprinters, rather, he is decelerating less than his opponents. I imagine that this kid probably struggles the most with the last part of the 100m considering that he is 235lbs but the plus of that is that he almost never needs to run that far on a football field. If you’re interested, here is a Reddit thread that takes nfl player track times and compares them to their 40yd dash times. Believe me, not every nfl player runs sub 11s.

11 secs 100 m is not slow. If you look at chart, that is about 4.6 40 speed. That is good speed for a TE. But in the modern NFL that is average not elite speed.

LOL...we have too many TEs. It's a nice departure from under MacIntyre where the TE was hardly used in the passing game.

LOL...we have too many TEs. It's a nice departure from under MacIntyre where the TE was hardly used in the passing game.
This is under the assumption that we actually do make productive use of them.

Actually have seen some positive progress in that regard with Brady Russell catching 28 balls a couple years ago but last year with him hurt much of the shortened season we only got 8 catches out of the TE position for the season.

As defenses have moved towards smaller, quicker players to try to keep up with the spread offenses the TE gains an advantage and few teams are well equipped to try to deal with multiple TE sets.

I ran track in college and have coached track for some years. 11.01 is not slow. And I would never call that average. Maybe average for a college sprinter. The vast majority of high school kids will never even sniff 11s. His track season is probably not over yet either and you tend to get faster as the season goes. He may even qualify for the state track meet in a lot of states with that time. Last of all, he is 235lbs which is massive for a sprinter. He likely decelerates more after 50meters than others because of how big he is. You can look up the weights of sprinters, they’re not big guys. Usain Bolt may be the biggest one I know of and he is just over 200lbs...... this is all to say, he is plenty fast to play football, especially tight end. I imagine his 40 time is in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. Its not an exact science, there are different phases in sprinting and you actually reach top speed roughly 35 to 55 meters into the race and you are decelerating 60 meters onward. As in, Usain Bolt isn’t speeding up at the end of his races when he separates from the other sprinters, rather, he is decelerating less than his opponents. I imagine that this kid probably struggles the most with the last part of the 100m considering that he is 235lbs but the plus of that is that he almost never needs to run that far on a football field. If you’re interested, here is a Reddit thread that takes nfl player track times and compares them to their 40yd dash times. Believe me, not every nfl player runs sub 11s.

Informed post. I was today years old when I learned that a 4.5 sec 40 for a 235 lb high school TE is not "elite fast"

This is under the assumption that we actually do make productive use of them.

Actually have seen some positive progress in that regard with Brady Russell catching 28 balls a couple years ago but last year with him hurt much of the shortened season we only got 8 catches out of the TE position for the season.

As defenses have moved towards smaller, quicker players to try to keep up with the spread offenses the TE gains an advantage and few teams are well equipped to try to deal with multiple TE sets.
One dude made a significant receiving contribution last year. When he got hurt, there was a huge drop off. I might contend that regardless of the number of names on the roster we’ve got 1.5 tight ends right now.

4.6 not 4.5. Read the thread again. It is good speed but not elite.
Math is hard. 10.95 = 4.5. 11.21 = 4.6. Presumably 11.1 = 4.5 something. @HawkIzTrash knows what he’s talking about here. There are all sorts of proven equivalents in track between the 40 and the 100 m dash. He’s also spot on that heavier guys like this lose stamina/speed after the 60 meter mark more so than a normal sprinter. Just about everyone that knows track will tell you that a young big guy that can run an 11.1 hundred would be able to run a low 4.5 once he develops a strong start.

i would also argue (for many of the same reasons) that a 4.6 40 for a high schooler TE is elite as well. The dude is not close to being fully mature yet.

For reference, Mark Perry (6'0' 200 lbs) ran a 10.65 and Stanley (6'0 195 lbs) ran a 10.85 a couple weeks ago. Also, I misspoke earlier. His Tweet says 11.01 in the 100. He has elite TE speed.
There were a few guys from TX on the team in the late 90’s that ran low 10’s in HS. When I heard that Cedric Cormier ran a 10.1 in a meet his senior year....🤯

Math is hard. 10.95 = 4.5. 11.21 = 4.6. Presumably 11.1 = 4.5 something. @HawkIzTrash knows what he’s talking about here. There are all sorts of proven equivalents in track between the 40 and the 100 m dash. He’s also spot on that heavier guys like this lose stamina/speed after the 60 meter mark more so than a normal sprinter. Just about everyone that knows track will tell you that a young big guy that can run an 11.1 hundred would be able to run a low 4.5 once he develops a strong start.

i would also argue (for many of the same reasons) that a 4.6 40 for a high schooler TE is elite as well. The dude is not close to being fully mature yet.
And again to make the comparison that matters there are a lot of college safeties who don't run 4.6, I would venture that 4.7 and even 4.8 is common. Beyond that not a lot of coverage LBs can run a 4.6.

All a guy has to be is fast enough to get open. I would wonder how many of the top NFL TEs run a 4.6 or better after a few years in the league Not talking about their combine times way back in their draft year, talking about after a few seasons of getting their bodies beat up. Somehow they are still fast enough to be effective.

Back