What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Even 4.5 sec 40 is not elite speed in today's NFL at TE. Guys are now running 4.4 or 4.3. But 4.5 or 4.6 is good speed for a TE.

Legit question. Is that considered fast for a TE running track? I don’t know anything about track. What would someone guess any of our current TEs would run?
I dont know if anyone remembers this guy, but I ran track against Matt Herian in HS. He played TE for kNU until he got Bo Jackson'ed. Dude was 6'5" 225 in HS and ran a 10.7. Crazy fast at that size.

11.01 is outstanding for a 6'5" 235 kid.

TE like Pitts and Ingram run sub 4.4. Kelce ran the 40 at about 4.5 seconds. Just as fast as many receivers. 11 sec is average to me. He is fast enough to get the job done, but not elite fast.
40's and 100' have NOTHING to do with each other. A sprinter running the 100 likely isn't up to full speed at the 40 meter mark.

For reference, Mark Perry (6'0' 200 lbs) ran a 10.65 and Stanley (6'0 195 lbs) ran a 10.85 a couple weeks ago. Also, I misspoke earlier. His Tweet says 11.01 in the 100. He has elite TE speed.
Stanley is running against CBs, Perry is covering WRs. We are talking about a guy who needs to run faster than Strong Safeties and OLBs.

Yeah, at 6'5" 235, 11.01 is plenty fast.
Can he catch a football?

Last edited:
TE like Pitts and Ingram run sub 4.4. Kelce ran the 40 at about 4.5 seconds. Just as fast as many receivers. 11 sec is average to me. He is fast enough to get the job done, but not elite fast.
I was curious about this and you’re wrong. Kelce ran the 40 in 4.63 at the combine and 4.61 at his pro day. George Kittle ran the 40 in 4.52 at the combine (he did not run at his pro day).

So the two most elite TE’s in the NFL ran the 40 in the 4.52-4.63 range after training specifically for that run for months.

Can we agree this kid is fast enough?

I was curious about this and you’re wrong. Kelce ran the 40 in 4.63 at the combine and 4.61 at his pro day. George Kittle ran the 40 in 4.52 at the combine (he did not run at his pro day).

So the two most elite TE’s in the NFL ran the 40 in the 4.52-4.63 range after training specifically for that run for months.

I looked it up but didn’t feel like engaging again. Since you brought it up, though, since 2013 there are only two TEs who have run sub 4.5 (Engram and Albert O from last year).

I ran track in college and have coached track for some years. 11.01 is not slow. And I would never call that average. Maybe average for a college sprinter. The vast majority of high school kids will never even sniff 11s. His track season is probably not over yet either and you tend to get faster as the season goes. He may even qualify for the state track meet in a lot of states with that time. Last of all, he is 235lbs which is massive for a sprinter. He likely decelerates more after 50meters than others because of how big he is. You can look up the weights of sprinters, they’re not big guys. Usain Bolt may be the biggest one I know of and he is just over 200lbs...... this is all to say, he is plenty fast to play football, especially tight end. I imagine his 40 time is in the 4.5 to 4.6 range. Its not an exact science, there are different phases in sprinting and you actually reach top speed roughly 35 to 55 meters into the race and you are decelerating 60 meters onward. As in, Usain Bolt isn’t speeding up at the end of his races when he separates from the other sprinters, rather, he is decelerating less than his opponents. I imagine that this kid probably struggles the most with the last part of the 100m considering that he is 235lbs but the plus of that is that he almost never needs to run that far on a football field. If you’re interested, here is a Reddit thread that takes nfl player track times and compares them to their 40yd dash times. Believe me, not every nfl player runs sub 11s.

Great insight. Thank you.

Yes we can agree on that.

Again. Can this dude catch a ball?
He had 631 yards and 10 TDs as a high school Senior. Watch his 7 minutes of highlights. Many contested catches, along with a number of wide open catches. Competition was dog ****, but he dominated it for the most part.
I watched his highlights and there are times he looks like a natural pass catcher while other times he seems to almost fight the ball. Definitely a bit of a project IMO.
He looks like a guy who is still growing into his body with the way he runs. Not a plug and play guy in year one, but a year in S&C program will do a lot for him, IMO.

Back