What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

KD didn't say he was going to depend on 2 stars. He just said there is too much obsession with star rating. The most important things are
1. Can the recruit play
2. Is he a good fit personality wise
3. Does he fit our system.
4. Good student

All Coaches are proud when they discover 2 star players or under recruited players that are successful. That is why he cited Mathew Slater and Verner.

KD didn't say he was going to depend on 2 stars. He just said there is too much obsession with star rating. The most important things are
1. Can the recruit play
2. Is he a good fit personality wise
3. Does he fit our system.
4. Good student

All Coaches are proud when they discover 2 star players or under recruited players that are successful. That is why he cited Mathew Slater and Verner.
When a coach says those things publicly, it’s an attempt to justify poor recruiting rankings. If he had a top 20 class, he’s not talking about too much obsession with star rating.

I also believe coaches are disenchanted with recruit rankings, and I can't blame em.
You don’t hear that kind of comment from a coach of programs who recruit well
Not really, he recruited relatively well last year. Was hired late in the process. Can't really have a judgment on KD recruiting until after he is giving a full cycle to recruit.
There is nothing that suggests he recruited relatively well, late start or not. Most have said they give him a bit of a break due to circumstances, but using a couple instances of 2* recruits turning into good players to justify poor rankings is a bad look, particularly for this program that hasn’t recruited well in a long time.

You don’t hear that kind of comment from a coach of programs who recruit well

There is nothing that suggests he recruited relatively well, late start or not. Most have said they give him a bit of a break due to circumstances, but using a couple instances of 2* recruits turning into good players to justify poor rankings is a bad look, particularly for this program that hasn’t recruited well in a long time.
There are several prospects that can play. The program got a QB that can play, recruited well in the secondary and DL. Got a quality TE. I consider it a success. He rescued the program from a disaster after Mel Tucker left late in the process. it could have been worse. Will wait to pass judgement on KD recruiting until after the 2022 class. My evaluation process is different. I am not obsessed with star rating or class ranking. There are other things that go into the evaluation process.

There are several prospects that can play. The program got a QB that can play, recruited well in the secondary and DL. Got a quality TE. I consider it a success. He rescued the program from a disaster after Mel Tucker left late in the process. it could have been worse. Will wait to pass judgement on KD recruiting until after the 2022 class. My evaluation process is different. I am not obsessed with star rating or class ranking. There are other things that go into the evaluation process.
We know your process is different. You defend recruiting classes that have gotten this program to two bowl games in 13 years, and you deny indisputable evidence that more stars and higher rankings correlate to more wins. You’re basically a flat earther or climate change denier.

I'm not that worried about star ratings, we've all seen how lower star players have gone on to be extremely productive... but it's not like it doesn't matter at all. Tucker brought in a 2020 class which was 35th in the nation and while it looks like Harris was a miss, there's also Gonzalez, Clayton, Rice, Lewis... I've got high hopes for Wray and Lee too but I guess we'll see.

Arguably what matters more is winning recruiting battles. We know that there's a huge gradation of talent ranked in the 2-3 star range, but if we're constantly losing battles and settling on our 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice for offers then we're gonna have a bad time.

I agree that it's a bad look for KD to talk about 2 stars... but it's a bad look to fans and the media. If he's building an underdog culture in the locker room by telling his players "I believe in you. I think you can be great, those so called experts don't know about the amount of heart you have, let's go out there and be great and prove them wrong." then I really don't have a problem with it.

We know your process is different. You defend recruiting classes that have gotten this program to two bowl games in 13 years, and you deny indisputable evidence that more stars and higher rankings correlate to more wins. You’re basically a flat earther or climate change denier.
i have never defended bad recruiting classes. But Mel Tucker class was good. KD class was okay, not terrible. I am not obsessed with star rating. For example if there are two players, one is a 5 star player but a bad fit, and you have a 3 star player that is a perfect fit. I would choose the 3 star player. The earth is obviously round. Climate change is a big problem. Ban the use of gas powered vehicles by 2030. Ban the use of single use plastics. Reduce the use of fossil fuel.

Alabama and clemson arent
Of course not, because they are the schools manifesting these ranking systems.
But no coach in his right mind is going to publicly agree with the media criticizing his players based off of a high school ranking system.
What should Dorrell say?
"Yeah, you're right, these players we brought in aren't going to get us over the hump. We're ****ed. And if we don't start bringing quality players in this program will remain in the doldrums."
Hell no. He's defending his players, his recruits, and his coaches. And he is making a statement, which is based on truth, that ranking systems do not determine player outcomes.

With camps, recruiting sites, and the ease of sending video over the internet there aren't hidden gems anymore.

40-50 years ago there were multiple players every year that slipped through the cracks. Guys who played away from population centers, guys who played in weak leagues for historically bad teams, guys who's coaches didn't have interest in pushing them or the connections to get them noticed. That doesn't happen anymore, at least no enough to try to make recruiting those guys a strategy.

The idea that some internet recruiting system can watch tape and evaluate 3,000-4,000 high school kids each year and assign an accurate grade is ridiculous. For the most part though they don't have to. They can base it off of offers.

The college coaches are getting paid millions to win games, their assistants are working in the game they love for far more money that they would likely make doing something else. Finding the kids who can play matters and they are willing to look under rocks and dig through the bushes to find that talent.

The services know this. Follow the quality of the offers and the rating usually follows with it.

These coaches have too much at stake. If a kid can play they are going to go after him, if he can't they can't afford to go after him.

And the coaches aren't dumb. It is very rare that they look at a kid and say he can't play only to have him turn out to be a top end player. If a kid is a 2* in this era it is because the coaches who's continued employment rely on making the right evaluation have said he's a 2* level player and not offered him.

This argument is too polarizing. Obviously highly recruited players matter, however just because KD states that 2 stars can be successful it doesn't mean he's going to neglect recruiting efforts by shifting CUs focus to finding diamonds in the rough.

He would not be talking about low stars performing if his class was not rated so poorly. He does not have a choice t this point because there was only 1 worse rated class in the PAC. Let’s not pretend like the efforts have been successful in this first class. They have been an abject failure

Back