What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 WNIT games thread, Memphis bracket- Women's bball (Next- Quarterfinal against Ole Miss (Monday, 3/22, 6:00 PM MT))

Wanted to mention that the Buffs' next opponent, in a game scheduled for Monday evening at 6:00 PM MT, will be Ole Miss, with the winner advancing to the final 4. Here's the write-up (from https://womensnit.com/news/2021/3/20/postseason-wnit-wnit-region-recap-memphis-march-20.aspx ) from their win today-

"
OLE MISS 72, TULANE 61

Ole Miss showed some grit in the fourth quarter, holding Tulane to 11 points while scoring 20 and advancing to the Memphis Regional championship game the 2021 Postseason WNIT.

The Rebels (13-11) will face Colorado in the title game, set for Monday at 7 p.m. CT.

Jerkaila Jordan hit two free throws Tulane to tie the game at 58-all with 5:21 remaining. A 3-point play by Ole Miss’ Madison Scott pushed the Rebels ahead, 61-58, at 4:27, but a Tulane layup by Anijah Grant cut the lead back to 63-61 with 2:29 to go.

Ole Miss hit nine free throws in the final 1:44 of the contest, five from Shakira Austin. Both teams had turnover issues (Ole Miss with 22, Tulane with 20), and both were solid from the free-throw line — 25-of-20 for the Rebels and 13-of-16 for the Green Wave (18-9).

For Tulane, Jordan had 21 points and five steals, and Arsula Clark had 18 points. For Ole Miss, Shakira Austin had 24 points and 13 rebounds, and Donnetta Johnson had 15 points.
"

Preview before tomorrow's quarterfinal/ regional final game against Ole Miss-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/3/20/womens-basketball-wbb-preview.aspx

"

CU Making Memphis Home​

Buffs hoping for an extended stay​

By: Seth Pringle

MEMPHIS —
Colorado's selection to the Memphis Regional of the WNIT seemed like an odd placement, geographically. Other designated sites like Fort Worth, Texas, or Rockford, Illinois made more sense based on travel plans.

But the trip to Memphis has been a homecoming of sorts for the Buffaloes. Although 1,066 miles separate Boulder from Memphis, the Buffs are playing in front of fans for pretty much the first time all season long. Player guests were allowed late in the season at the CU Events Center and the Pac-12 Tournament, but My Town Home Movers Fieldhouse has seen the biggest CU support all season.

A partial reason for that is head coach JR Payne's ties to the state. Coach Payne spent her summers in Tennessee and has family members that have converged to Memphis to watch the Buffaloes. CU's two games in the WNIT are more than her family in Boulder have been able to see in person all year long.

"I've spent every summer of my life in Tennessee," Payne commented. "So, it's almost like coming home in a way. These are people I haven't seen in many years. It's been really fun to have cousins, aunts and uncles in the stands. Some of the younger ones made signs for our players. It's been really fun to have that and have some of the player families here as well."

The Buffs might not have their blue suede shoes or touched foot on Beale St., but the Memphis surroundings have become a second home of sorts.

"I think we're really comfortable with our environment," Payne explained. "We've gotten into a rhythm of having shootaround in this gym and play in that gym. Then pregame meals and meetings and all that. We're kind of in a rhythm right now."

Colorado showed little signs of adversity in its opening-round 68-45 win over Louisiana. Coach Payne was able to get everyone on the floor and get that postseason inexperience shaken off. The round of 16 was a tighter fought game against Nebraska, but it was won in large part without the use of Mya Hollingshed. CU got major contributions from players like Lesila Finau and Charlotte Whittaker, aiding the Buffs' efforts against Nebraska. Finau, who averages 5.5 points per game, scored 12 against Nebraska, while Whittaker who is averaging 4.9 points this season, scored 15 off the bench.

"Coaches always want to be able to play as many players as they can," Payne noted. "That way we know who we can trust to contribute. So, it's been great for us to have every single player on our team get to play on the court. I trust that anyone whose name is called will be ready and will be confident to step in and do what they need to do to be successful."

CU will meet Ole Miss for the first time in program history on Monday (6 p.m. MT). The winner will move onto the WNIT Semifinals and remain in Memphis. The three other regional champions will then make their way to Memphis to close out the tournament.

The fact that there is not further travel for the Buffs in this tournament is something that the coaching staff gladly welcomed.

"We were surprised but happy when we were chosen to come to Memphis," Payne admitted. "We knew that if we could win games, we could stay and not have to get on a plane and fly again. I think we're in kind of a flow. We feel like we're in a rhythm and we're playing well and as long as we can continue to play well, we're going to stay in that same good rhythm."

The current run in the WNIT is CU's first visit to the quarterfinals since the 2012 season. CU is now 16-6 all-time in the tournament.

On this Date: The last time the Buffs played on Mar. 22 came back in the 2014 WNIT. Colorado defeated a JR Payne-coached Southern Utah squad, 79-68 in Boulder.
"
________________________________________________________________________________

Also, games notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/3/21/3_22_WNIT_3.pdf

Last edited:
Looks like the 3rd quarter has begun, and the Buffs are going to have to have a bigtime comeback after being outscored 10-28 in the 2nd quarter.

It's 23-41 right now.

The Buffs "won" the 2nd half by 7 points, but that wasn't enough to come back from the big hole they were under after the -18 2nd quarter - 56-65 Ole Miss is the final.

With many returning players, many young, I would guess it was great they got to play 3 more games this season from playing in the WNIT. Hope the team rests up and, if necessary, gets healthy, and have positive times on and off the court up til and then through next season.

And, best wishes to the 2 seniors!

Last edited:
I am admittedly an EXTREMELY Buff-centric fan (I'd rather watch any Buff team compete in any sport than watch any other team compete in any sport), but before I forget about it did want to give best wishes to the Pac 12 teams remaining in the NCAA women's tourney.

With their 1st rounds over (they played Sunday and yesterday), looks like 5 of the 6 Pac teams have advanced to the 2nd round, with WSU (who lost by 4 as a #9 seed) the only one out. (For those not aware, women's basketball, like the men's used to have before the later added play-in games, have a 64 team tournament with 4 regions. They're playing all their tourney games this year around San Antonio.)

Re the other 5 teams:

Playing 2nd round today:
  • OSU, after winning easily in the 1st round by 24 as a #8 seed (Hemisfair Region), have a tough matchup this evening against perennial power and a #1 seed South Carolina. (Game starts at 5:00 PM MT, ESPN).
  • #1 seed Stanford (Alamo Region), who cruised in the 1st round by 43 while not having any of its players play much over 20 minutes, faces off against #8 seed Oklahoma State (7:00 PM MT, ESPN2).
Playing 2nd round tomorrow:
  • #6 seed Oregon ( Alamo Region) also easily won its 1st round game by 20, but assume may be an underdog when it faces off against #3 seed Georgia tomorrow at 1:00 PM MT (ESPN2).
  • #3 seed Arizona (Mercado Region) won by 35 in the 1st round, and I'm sure will be looking to continue that against #11 BYU tomorrow evening at 5:00 PM MT (ESPNU).
  • Last but not least, #3 seed UCLA (Hemisfair Region), who won by 21 last night, face off against #6 Texas, also tomorrow evening (at 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2).

I am admittedly an EXTREMELY Buff-centric fan (I'd rather watch any Buff team compete in any sport than watch any other team compete in any sport), but before I forget about it did want to give best wishes to the Pac 12 teams remaining in the NCAA women's tourney.

With their 1st rounds over (they played Sunday and yesterday), looks like 5 of the 6 Pac teams have advanced to the 2nd round, with WSU (who lost by 4 as a #9 seed) the only one out. (For those not aware, women's basketball, like the men's used to have before the later added play-in games, have a 64 team tournament with 4 regions. They're playing all their tourney games this year around San Antonio.)

Re the other 5 teams:

Playing 2nd round today:
  • OSU, after winning easily in the 1st round by 24 as a #8 seed (Hemisfair Region), have a tough matchup this evening against perennial power and a #1 seed South Carolina. (Game starts at 5:00 PM MT, ESPN).
  • #1 seed Stanford (Alamo Region), who cruised in the 1st round by 43 while not having any of its players play much over 20 minutes, faces off against #8 seed Oklahoma State (7:00 PM MT, ESPN2).
Playing 2nd round tomorrow:
  • #6 seed Oregon ( Alamo Region) also easily won its 1st round game by 20, but assume may be an underdog when it faces off against #3 seed Georgia tomorrow at 1:00 PM MT (ESPN2).
  • #3 seed Arizona (Mercado Region) won by 35 in the 1st round, and I'm sure will be looking to continue that against #11 BYU tomorrow evening at 5:00 PM MT (ESPNU).
  • Last but not least, #3 seed UCLA (Hemisfair Region), who won by 21 last night, face off against #6 Texas, also tomorrow evening (at 7:00 PM MT, ESPN2).
And that's what CU faces in a down year for WBB in the P12.

Quick update to what I posted in #42 about Pac 12 teams in the NCAA Tourney- there are now 3 left as the Sweet 16 games have already begun today. Those left from the Pac are-
  • #3 regional seed Arizona is scheduled to play #2 Texas A & M in the last game scheduled for today (6:00 PM MT start on ESPN2).
  • Then, on Sunday #1 seed Stanford is slated to face off against #5 seed Missouri State at 1:00 PM MT (ABC) and
  • finally, #6 seed Oregon faces off against #2 Louisville tomorrow at 5:00 PM MT (ESPN).

Back