What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

If WVU fires their coach would Herman take that job over ours?
From a pure football standpoint, it’s the better job. You have a good recruiting territory in the mid Atlantic and play in Texas and Florida. No admissions issues.

Yes. It is in the Big 12
Which means nothing. Both conferences are about to be second rate, and the media deals are going to be similar. The compensation CU can offer is in line with other jobs of its caliber, which includes WVU.

Maybe from a pure football standpoint, WVU might be more attractive as it's geographically closer to better recruits, but it's not that attractive of a program.

If we had a good AD, we could close this up ASAP. WVU has to hire an AD and then vet the candidates. Urgency is critical.
If we had a good administration, CU might also be the better job.

Other than recruiting footprint, CU doesn’t have a lot of intrinsic disadvantages. Its problems more than anything else are self inflicted.

Other than recruiting footprint, CU doesn’t have a lot of intrinsic disadvantages. Its problems more than anything else are self inflicted.
This lack of urgency is definitely self-inflicted. In a vacuun, the WVU job is better. CU should have a signed agreement and announcement now. Instead we are awaiting the end of the season and risk losing the scant leverage we have.

This lack of urgency is definitely self-inflicted. In a vacuun, the WVU job is better. CU should have a signed agreement and announcement now. Instead we are awaiting the end of the season and risk losing the scant leverage we have.
Lack of urgency? CU was like the 4th P5 job opening of the year and is likely to be the first one filled.

Lack of urgency? CU was like the 4th P5 job opening of the year and is likely to be the first one filled.
This scenario is based upon the assumption that the top choice doesn’t get hired elsewhere or have cold feet. Without a signed contract and a press conference, we do not have a coach. As one of the worst jobs, we should lock this decision before a better opportunity emerges.

This scenario is based upon the assumption that the top choice doesn’t get hired elsewhere or have cold feet. Without a signed contract and a press conference, we do not have a coach. As one of the worst jobs, we should lock this decision before a better opportunity emerges.
I agree, but I also assume CU's top choice isn't picking CU because he thinks it's the only job open or might come open. Every candidate's agent has a pretty good grasp on which jobs are open and are likely to come open at some point, so if they are choosing the CU job right now, they aren't going to back out in favor of West Virginia.

I agree, but I also assume CU's top choice isn't picking CU because he thinks it's the only job open or might come open. Every candidate's agent has a pretty good grasp on which jobs are open and are likely to come open at some point, so if they are choosing the CU job right now, they aren't going to back out in favor of West Virginia.
Not just WVU. There are always unpredictable moves in the aftermath of seasons.

If I'm a coach looking at available jobs, I am evaluating two Criteria

1. The passion of the fanbase?
2. Can I get kids in?

When comparing CU vs WVU I think #1 is up for debate, and #2 is advantage WVU.

If I'm a coach looking at available jobs, I am evaluating two Criteria

1. The passion of the fanbase?
2. Can I get kids in?

When comparing CU vs WVU I think #1 is up for debate, and #2 is advantage WVU.
Every coach has different criteria for different reasons, but I think those being the #1 and #2 criteria when accepting a CFB HC job is highly questionable. Those are probably in the top 5-10, but 1 and 2 seem like a stretch.

Every coach has different criteria for different reasons, but I think those being the #1 and #2 criteria when accepting a CFB HC job is highly questionable. Those are probably in the top 5-10, but 1 and 2 seem like a stretch.
#1 How much are they going to pay me? How much of that is guaranteed?
2. How serious are they about winning. All the decisions around that.
3. How much money do I have for staff? How much control do I have over who that staff is?
4. How much control do I have over the rest of the program? Do I have an AD that supports me or an AD that sticks it's nose in and overrules me.
Then you go from there.

Keep in mind that prior to winning big a number of programs were lacking in fan support, ex. University of Miami.

The getting kids in is a big issue but also keeping kids in. Is the school willing to offer academic paths that guys who are all about football can succeed in. Good example of this is Cal with their custom degree programs. In the Switzer days I used to laugh about half the starting line up being communications majors when a lot of them couldn't even say communications.

Right, but for a coach to accept the job offer at CU in mid November would mean, IMO at least, that they see something about this specific job that is attractive, otherwise, why not wait?
This is why urgency on CU’s part is a thing. If you take someone off of the market, you can avoid the disasters we’ve seen before when people get antsy. Right now, it looks like the music could be ending soon without too many good openings. It’s best not to tempt fate.

They're talking about Dave Doeren and Chris Klieman now. They've hit the throwing spaghetti against the wall part of their search apparently.
They’ll end up re-hiring Scott Frost after every other candidate turns them down.

Back