What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is the most logical outcome. I was just commenting on The Yak's post about what happens if the administration were to decide to cut football or cut way back on it. A lot of people don't recognize that sports like soccer, lacrosse, skiing, volleyball, track and field don't magically exist. They bring in little to no revenue but require all the expenses such as scholarships and academic support, coaching, travel, etc. etc.

Women's basketball when it is doing well generates some revenue to offset cost but still falls short, men's basketball makes money but not a lot more than it cost. Football is what carries the rest at a school that has stated that it expects the athletic department to be self-supporting, at least break even.

The administration is happy to get the publicity of the athletic department, happy to have something that helps keep alumni and boosters connected to the school, happy to have the increased student applications generated from athletics, happy to have the much more diverse group of students that are recruited as athletes.

They just aren't happy to pay for all those benefits. They want the benefits but don't want to compromise their image of being some kind of elite school that is above paying for things like athletics.
You left out one of the biggest cost: chartered planes, hotels, transportation. Thats why the old conference configuration before moneyball was ideally a bus ride away from campus. Big footprint conferences like the Pac12 become untenable without football money.

The $64,000 question is what kind of money does the Pac12 & Co. get after the appearance of the Super League.

It’s unbelievable how far up its own ass CU is. CU also has a massively overinflated perception of its own academics and weird priorisation when it comes to academics in athletics.

Tl, dr: CU isn’t in the ****ing Ivy League. Stop ****ing acting like it.
Its not even a top 25 public anymore.

My dad used interface with one of the Deans at UF and still has some friends there. Everything they do now takes into consideration the USN&WR rankings. Everything. Kids dont consider a school based on sports. They dont even watch live TV in fact. They DO know where schools rank.

And zero reasons to stay after CU failed to follow through with anything they said they would do. Changing the transfer admission rules was one of the big ones
I’ve heard that. But it’d be nice to hear the AD’s side of it. It seems like that narrative was begun by Tucker. If so, I’d question it.

For one, what was allegedly promised? Was there a misunderstanding? Was it something, if true, that was going to happen instantly or over time? I mean, I can think of a lot of questions.

My dad used interface with one of the Deans at UF and still has some friends there. Everything they do now takes into consideration the USN&WR rankings. Everything. Kids dont consider a school based on sports. They dont even watch live TV in fact. They DO know where schools rank.
For all the purported shortcomings the USNWR rankings have, they’re still a significant measuring stick.

CU has several challenges with regards to rankings, and a unfortunately most of them have to do with finances. They get paid for every kid who applies. They get paid more for every kid who enrolls. One significant component (fair or unfair) of the rankings is admission percentage. The lower the percentage of applicants accepted. The higher the ranking. CU needs more kids in the Freshman class to help pay the bills, so their acceptance percentage is in the toilet. Thus, their rankings take a hit. I’d argue that’s a stupid way to run your business, but it is what it is.
None of this really has anything to do with the AD or the football program, other than the bump you might get in applications you could get from having an attractive football and/or basketball program. I don’t think CU will ever have the kind of football program that attracts student applications, and the basketball program is probably at its high water mark now. The DU example gets used a lot, and I wonder what their undergraduate applications & admissions statistics will look like for the 2023 incoming freshman class after they won a hockey natty. Probably will help a little.

Oddly enough, I had an experience today that challenges that opinion. Had lunch on Pearl Street (I continue to recommend Gemini for tasty Spanish tapas). Guy at the table next to me was talking about his choices for grad school. He’s interested in Florida because it is a good school and mostly because he’s been a fan of the Gators football team since 1988. On a side note, I need to apply for a job at Stream because the salary number they were throwing around were significant.

The number of hot babydolls from New York, New Jersey, and Chicago going to the $EC simply for the parties and football games would disagree.

For all the purported shortcomings the USNWR rankings have, they’re still a significant measuring stick.

CU has several challenges with regards to rankings, and a unfortunately most of them have to do with finances. They get paid for every kid who applies. They get paid more for every kid who enrolls. One significant component (fair or unfair) of the rankings is admission percentage. The lower the percentage of applicants accepted. The higher the ranking. CU needs more kids in the Freshman class to help pay the bills, so their acceptance percentage is in the toilet. Thus, their rankings take a hit. I’d argue that’s a stupid way to run your business, but it is what it is.
None of this really has anything to do with the AD or the football program, other than the bump you might get in applications you could get from having an attractive football and/or basketball program. I don’t think CU will ever have the kind of football program that attracts student applications, and the basketball program is probably at its high water mark now. The DU example gets used a lot, and I wonder what their undergraduate applications & admissions statistics will look like for the 2023 incoming freshman class after they won a hockey natty. Probably will help a little.
Your acceptance rate goes down when you have more applications to deny.

The USNWR piece is still something that colleges and universities worry about. My understanding is they track beyond graduation and factor outcomes into their results. So a bunch of rich kids that never work after college but came to CU to party probably hurts us as well. I dont know.

Out of state tuitionwise were middle of the pack.

1652136724237.png

If we’re going to have academic hurdles, can we actually…. Idk…. Have a renowned academic standing?

It’s mind boggling to me how our administration can let our academics stagnate and decay but feel like they’re Stanford or MIT

We’re a decent state school and need to start acting like it. Slap Lockheed’s logo on the stadium, market the aerospace program with it, and actually try to improve academics/sports ffs these people are so impossibly stupid
Been making this argument for a decade. Don’t play the academic superiority card if you’re not actually going to, you know, be academically superior. (How is CU still ranked #99 in USNWR?)

If a tree falls in the woods without anyone around does it make a sound?
What?
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

“To put more emphasis on outcomes, U.S. News dropped acceptance rate from the methodology in the 2019 edition and removed yield rate in the 2004 edition.”

Not trying to ruin your argument, just posting for accuracy.

Cardboard Karl probably does. He’s the one who forgot to do after-season interviews with the players. Idot
He was busy meeting his financial planner to work on details of his upcoming retirement generously funded by CU.

He was busy meeting his financial planner to work on details of his upcoming retirement generously funded by CU.
Is the pers system in Colorado like the one in Oregon? If so you’ll have the joy of paying for his retirement through that. Oregon tax payers are paying Bellotti $600K per year in perpetuity

Is the pers system in Colorado like the one in Oregon? If so you’ll have the joy of paying for his retirement through that. Oregon tax payers are paying Bellotti $600K per year in perpetuity
My first though was that yes, we do. But it might not work that way for contract employees.

The number of hot babydolls from New York, New Jersey, and Chicago going to the $EC simply for the parties and football games would disagree.
THIS. A disproportionate amount of young people (largely women) from schools in this area have been heading to SEC schools over the last 8-10 years. Bama, Auburn and Georgia seem to be at the top of the list. Now, tell me how an intelligent young person from BoCo finds out about a southern school like these to begin with, puts them in their consideration set, then chooses to attend there?

My son has friends at FSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Auburn. Top reasons for choosing their school: 1) Athletic prowess/Gameday experience, 2) Greek system, 3) Academic offerings.

A bunch of his graduating class this past year chose Oregon over CU for the same reasons.

I donate money to 2 schools. One just won a national championship. Guess which one is getting 90% of my donation budget this year?

Last edited:
The state pension system in Colorado is called PERA.

Assuming that he waits until 65 to collect and assuming that he left his contributions from his first two times in Colorado as an assistant he will be eligible to receive 22.5% of the average of his highest 3 years of salary which looks to be about $3.5 million so about $780,000 a year. This is also assuming that he doesn't get extended past the current 5 year contract.

More likely is that he withdrew his contributions from the plan meaning that based on 5 years of service credit and again retiring at 65 he would receive 12.5% or a little under $440,000 a year, still not a bad deal.

At this point to contribute to the plan (mandatory) he is paying in 10.5% of his salary and the school is paying in 20.9% so the total contribution is about $1 per year.

The one who is potentially making a killing on the system is Gary Barnett. Gary worked as a teacher and coach at the HS level and one year at Ft. Lewis before working as an assistant at CU before returning for the HC job. Just based on these he had 21 years of service credit which means that if he retired after leaving the HC job he would get 52.5% of his 3 highest salary years.

If instead of taking his retirement at that point he was considered an employee of the university for an additional 5 years (depending on how they structured his work doing broadcast, AD consulting, etc.) that percentage could increase to 65%. My assumption without running the numbers is that his financial advisor would have recommended that he take the payout starting early and structure his work for the university to be part time allowing him to collect.

@Not Sure I don't know if there is an exemption that would allow him to be considered a contract employee. Possible but unlikely.

THIS. A disproportionate amount of young people (largely women) from schools in this area have been heading to SEC schools over the last 8-10 years. Bama, Auburn and Georgia seem to be at the top of the list. Now, tell me how an intelligent young person from BoCo finds out about a southern school like these to begin with, puts them in their consideration set, then chooses to attend there?

My son has friends at FSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Auburn. Top reasons for choosing their school: 1) Athletic prowess/Gameday experience, 2) Greek system, 3) Academic offerings.

A bunch of his graduating class this past year chose Oregon over CU for the same reasons.

I donate money to 2 schools. One just won a national championship. Guess which one is getting 90% of my donation budget this year?
In my most humble opinion, Nos. 1) and 2) are ridiculous reasons for choosing where to attend college. But it takes all kinds I guess. Auburn, AL? Oxford, MS? Geezus, kids, if you want to go to school for lifestyle reasons in the south go to USF in Tampa where you can hit the St. Pete area beaches, or to Miami if you can get in.

1a) the Southern experience.

The state pension system in Colorado is called PERA.

Assuming that he waits until 65 to collect and assuming that he left his contributions from his first two times in Colorado as an assistant he will be eligible to receive 22.5% of the average of his highest 3 years of salary which looks to be about $3.5 million so about $780,000 a year. This is also assuming that he doesn't get extended past the current 5 year contract.

More likely is that he withdrew his contributions from the plan meaning that based on 5 years of service credit and again retiring at 65 he would receive 12.5% or a little under $440,000 a year, still not a bad deal.

At this point to contribute to the plan (mandatory) he is paying in 10.5% of his salary and the school is paying in 20.9% so the total contribution is about $1 per year.

The one who is potentially making a killing on the system is Gary Barnett. Gary worked as a teacher and coach at the HS level and one year at Ft. Lewis before working as an assistant at CU before returning for the HC job. Just based on these he had 21 years of service credit which means that if he retired after leaving the HC job he would get 52.5% of his 3 highest salary years.

If instead of taking his retirement at that point he was considered an employee of the university for an additional 5 years (depending on how they structured his work doing broadcast, AD consulting, etc.) that percentage could increase to 65%. My assumption without running the numbers is that his financial advisor would have recommended that he take the payout starting early and structure his work for the university to be part time allowing him to collect.

@Not Sure I don't know if there is an exemption that would allow him to be considered a contract employee. Possible but unlikely.
Gary Barnett killed it on his Pera retirement.

But, one thing to consider with all of this is base salary paid by CU, vs the "endorsement" part of the contract.

E.g. My understanding of the CU Nike contract is that the school can/does direct part of that money to coaches, and it is even written into the coaches' contracts that x of the annual salary is paid by endorsement deals.

That's important in this context because that portion of their salary isn't part of Pera.

Make no mistake, they're still getting a sizable pension, but it's not quite as large as one would think based on top line numbers.

In my most humble opinion, Nos. 1) and 2) are ridiculous reasons for choosing where to attend college. But it takes all kinds I guess. Auburn, AL? Oxford, MS? Geezus, kids, if you want to go to school for lifestyle reasons in the south go to USF in Tampa where you can hit the St. Pete area beaches, or to Miami if you can get in.
How many teenagers make decisions based on ridiculous reasons? These are not the decisions that would be made by 35 year olds with families to worry about.

They make decisions based on right now, they are leaving childhood and entering into what they see as becoming young adults.

For some very mature, highly focused, academically developed students they are concerned about what a school provides academically and for their professional development. These are the students who are looking first at Ivy league, Stanford, MIT, and other schools where the focus is on academics.

The majority know that they should get a degree but they are more focused on social aspects, meeting people, having a good time, testing limits.

Honestly how many of the CU grads on this board wouldn't have gone to Boulder if it didn't have the reputation as place to have a great time?

My niece is from SoCal. She turned down an athletic scholarship to play volleyball at West Virginia saying she was giving up the sport from burnout.

After a year of waiting tables, she realized that sucks, and ended up at Ole Miss of all places. In the realm of small world, her closest friend is from Castle Rock and they came over to our house while she was in town visiting said friend over the summer. I was fascinated to learn how they liked it:

1) Sorority membership made a massive difference making friends out of the gate - particularly as the two of them were basically the only non-Southerners in that group.

2) They absolutely love going to home football games - it is definitely one of the highlights of going to school at Ole Miss.

3) The rest of the stuff is hit or miss because of the culture differences. They aren't questioning their decisions, but can be outsiders at times, plus thinking some of the dudes that fully embrace said culture are massive tools.

Last edited:
A big thing some of y’all discount is the indirect value of athletics on brand equity and notoriety.

Maybe most kids don’t strictly use “good athletics” as the first item on their selection criteria. Almost all kids are aware of schools primarily due to their athletics though.

The “advertisement” (if we can call it that) of Phil sitting in front of a kid in a mask playing the tuba with some weak narration and amateur graphic overlays played on the Pac12 network doesn’t make kids aware of the school. Sports on TV and athletic wear sold to fans and alumni who are proud does that.

Kid might not pick a school bc of athletics, but the athletics are usually what even bring a school into the consideration set indirectly regardless of whether they like sports or not

I'm a bit surprised that the Greek scene is a factor in school selection.
1) I expressly chose to not follow through on the Congressional interview I landed for a recommendation to attend the Naval Academy as I wanted to experience college, not 4 years of military academy.

2) I specifically chose CU because I knew being in a fraternity was frowned upon when on ROTC scholarship. The greek system is a minority at CU, so I knew it wouldn't be a huge problem to miss out on that. (in other words - the social aspects weighed heavily for me, but it had different variables than most)

3) You went to school in your 30's (?), which means a very different set of thought processes and (mostly?) full frontal lobe development when choosing your school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back