What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big thing some of y’all discount is the indirect value of athletics on brand equity and notoriety.

Maybe most kids don’t strictly use “good athletics” as the first item on their selection criteria. Almost all kids are aware of schools primarily due to their athletics though.

The “advertisement” (if we can call it that) of Phil sitting in front of a kid in a mask playing the tuba with some weak narration and amateur graphic overlays played on the Pac12 network doesn’t make kids aware of the school. Sports on TV and athletic wear sold to fans and alumni who are proud does that.

Kid might not pick a school bc of athletics, but the athletics are usually what even bring a school into the consideration set indirectly regardless of whether they like sports or not
Well stated.

It wouldn't be surprising if a lot more kids decide to come to Boulder based on seeing the kids in front of the student section in banana suits than based on seeing Dr Phil in front of the Tuba.

I don't know that the kids even care that much about winning, they are looking for a good time.

The winning though is what gets a schools games on national TV or in the premium regional time slots so kids have a chance to see them.

A big thing some of y’all discount is the indirect value of athletics on brand equity and notoriety.

Maybe most kids don’t strictly use “good athletics” as the first item on their selection criteria. Almost all kids are aware of schools primarily due to their athletics though.

The “advertisement” (if we can call it that) of Phil sitting in front of a kid in a mask playing the tuba with some weak narration and amateur graphic overlays played on the Pac12 network doesn’t make kids aware of the school. Sports on TV and athletic wear sold to fans and alumni who are proud does that.

Kid might not pick a school bc of athletics, but the athletics are usually what even bring a school into the consideration set indirectly regardless of whether they like sports or not
I'd love to see our trajectory on the USNWR rankings crossed with our football performance over the last 15 years.

How many teenagers make decisions based on ridiculous reasons? These are not the decisions that would be made by 35 year olds with families to worry about.

They make decisions based on right now, they are leaving childhood and entering into what they see as becoming young adults.

For some very mature, highly focused, academically developed students they are concerned about what a school provides academically and for their professional development. These are the students who are looking first at Ivy league, Stanford, MIT, and other schools where the focus is on academics.

The majority know that they should get a degree but they are more focused on social aspects, meeting people, having a good time, testing limits.

Honestly how many of the CU grads on this board wouldn't have gone to Boulder if it didn't have the reputation as place to have a great time?
I went to CU because I needed to stay in state and it was the best school.

I'd love to see our trajectory on the USNWR rankings crossed with our football performance over the last 15 years.
go limp GIF

How many teenagers make decisions based on ridiculous reasons? These are not the decisions that would be made by 35 year olds with families to worry about.

They make decisions based on right now, they are leaving childhood and entering into what they see as becoming young adults.

For some very mature, highly focused, academically developed students they are concerned about what a school provides academically and for their professional development. These are the students who are looking first at Ivy league, Stanford, MIT, and other schools where the focus is on academics.

The majority know that they should get a degree but they are more focused on social aspects, meeting people, having a good time, testing limits.

Honestly how many of the CU grads on this board wouldn't have gone to Boulder if it didn't have the reputation as place to have a great time?
While I was already accepted, "Where the hip meet to trip" Newsweek article confirmed that Boulder was right for me. My Mom was aghast and did everything she could to get me to switch schools. Skiing and partying were the top reason I chose Boulder.

The Greek system at CU definitely goes in waves. It was a big deal when I was there. Then for about 10-15 years there was what seemed like a concerted effort on the part of the school to marginalize it. Definitely making a comeback lately.

The Greek system at CU definitely goes in waves. It was a big deal when I was there. Then for about 10-15 years there was what seemed like a concerted effort on the part of the school to marginalize it. Definitely making a comeback lately.
After the death of Gordie, the fraternities became a corporation separated entirely from the school and the school has been trying its best to shut it down, but once they became fully autonomous and actually succeeded in that experiment, there’s not much the school can do

It took a while for things to heat back up, but I graduated a couple years ago and our numbers were very strong with lots of engagement. Each year for the past 10 years or so has been on the upswing. Definitely loved my time in it and enjoyed helping scale it up. Fraternities in Boulder are a really fascinating experiment since they are fully autonomous and the school isn’t the governing body. Very lord of the flies but very fun to have that control over your destiny

As would I. But I would guess it’s all over place looking at a bunch of school. UGA - skyrocket in USNWR correlates with football success. Florida State has been skyrocketing as their football performance has been plummeting. Bama hasn’t really moved. CU is tied with Utah and Oregon (who may have moved up in the last decade).

After the death of Gordie, the fraternities became a corporation separated entirely from the school and the school has been trying its best to shut it down, but once they became fully autonomous and actually succeeded in that experiment, there’s not much the school can do

It took a while for things to heat back up, but I graduated a couple years ago and our numbers were very strong with lots of engagement. Each year for the past 10 years or so has been on the upswing. Definitely loved my time in it and enjoyed helping scale it up. Fraternities in Boulder are a really fascinating experiment since they are fully autonomous and the school isn’t the governing body. Very lord of the flies but very fun to have that control over your destiny

Referencing Gordie is right on for the downturn.

On the more recent Greek resurgence the things I point to is housing availability and nightlife. The few places big enough to host a party without a bunch of neighbor calls/headaches (not just from the police, but landlords under pressure too) are the fraternity houses. The overall housing stock in and around the Hill/Campus keeps getting bought up with just less and less places to rent, so students are pressed further away from campus or pay astronomically. Newer apartments but very expensive. Also, the # of bars of nightlife places on the Hill, Pearl Street and overall Boulder have diminished substantially over the past 10 years.

THIS. A disproportionate amount of young people (largely women) from schools in this area have been heading to SEC schools over the last 8-10 years. Bama, Auburn and Georgia seem to be at the top of the list. Now, tell me how an intelligent young person from BoCo finds out about a southern school like these to begin with, puts them in their consideration set, then chooses to attend there?

My son has friends at FSU, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Auburn. Top reasons for choosing their school: 1) Athletic prowess/Gameday experience, 2) Greek system, 3) Academic offerings.

A bunch of his graduating class this past year chose Oregon over CU for the same reasons.

I donate money to 2 schools. One just won a national championship. Guess which one is getting 90% of my donation budget this year?
I have two nephews and two nieces at Oklahoma, one nephew at Clemson and one at Florida. All from Colorado.
Guess why they decided to go there?

I have two nephews and two nieces at Oklahoma, one nephew at Clemson and one at Florida. All from Colorado.
Guess why they decided to go there?

I'll guess Athletic Success/Gameday Experience and the Greek System, after carefully eliminating 1) a deep yearning to live in Red states, and 2) a strong unfulfilled desire to sweat a lot.

I'll guess Athletic Success/Gameday Experience and the Greek System, after carefully eliminating 1) a deep yearning to live in Red states, and 2) a strong unfulfilled desire to sweat a lot.

They wanted some culture? Tired of shoveling snow? To get away from a creepy uncle?

Money at OU.
😂😂

it was a rhetorical question you a$$holes!

all of them that I talked to about it where attracted to the “big time” football.

And make the playoff and get destroyed by some SEC team.
This year, probably yes. 2023 and going forward, though, I think SC is going to go toe to toe with Bama and Georgia. They have all the money and support they need and they have seemingly gone all in with football again. The one question is whether they’ll be able to go into the South and pull the DL needed to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back