What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the sport of college football and the University of Colorado more than I love individual college football players. Because of that, I hate NIL and no-sit transfer rules because I don’t think you can want the sport to thrive AND want NIL/Transfers in its current form. I also acknowledge those are symptoms of bigger issues in CFB like no governing body, uneven playing field with scheduling, different TV deals for different conferences, etc.
Most of us wouldn't be here if we didn't have a real love and interest in college football (and basktball and even other sports.)

Unfortunately the problems you list are those that could very well kill the sport as we know it.

It may be that the only way that college football survives as something that exist at a high level outside of a few schools mostly in limited regions of the country are to directly address the things you listed.

At some point to save college football we really do need a central governing body. That most likely will involve a commissioner, an investigative authority and a real ability to impose penalties and sanctions.

There will also need to be a real answer to the NIL question that doesn't allow some schools to simply buy talent that others can't or won't pay for. Part of this will also involve some form evening out of TV and other national media revenues.

Scheduling is a whole other issue and there is the problem of dealing with the G5 schools and even the FCS schools that we like to dismiss and say should not be on big school schedules. The reality is though that a lot of those schools rely on the money they make scheduling major conference schools. In order to be able to address these issues the P5 schools cannot afford to have the smaller schools and their supporters opposing them.

In order to address these issues is probably going to require some authorizing legislation at the federal level. They need to address anti-trust concerns. They also need to address the question of athletes being employees and thus requiring minimum wages, workman's compensation, and meeting federal workplace guidelines. All of this is going to require the support or at least not having the opposition of the congressmembers from the states where P5 college football isn't king.

At the same time as this legislation happens some other questions will be addressed. I have stated earlier that at some point I see the federal government taking a role in investigating and penalizing schools for actions that infringe on title IX areas. Schools like Baylor, MSU, PSU, Miami, and more that covered up criminal activities against non-athletes (and athletes) to protect the reputations and image of football programs will eventually face government investigation and at minimum the prospect of being declared ineligible to receive federal funds. This would mean no federal research dollars, no Pell Grants, maybe no VA funds and the huge one being no federally guaranteed student loans which would cripple many schools.

The talent is better than anything Embree had
Agreed Dorrell had more talent,, he's lost the majority of talent. My question was, where are the Buffs going to get the one win from in 2022? Between graduation and transfers, there isn't enough talent to win at the PAC12 level. 8 players from MT's class are gone, Dorrell's signings are barely at the level of the Ewe's

Agreed Dorrell had more talent,, he's lost the majority of talent. My question was, where are the Buffs going to get the one win from in 2022? Between graduation and transfers, there isn't enough talent to win at the PAC12 level. 8 players from MT's class are gone, Dorrell's signings are barely at the level of the Ewe's

Dorrell’s signings are at the level of MM’s best classes and the 2022 coaching staff is much better than 2021 and any MM ever had. Top it off with CU still plays in the Pac-12 and there are only three conference teams CU cannot beat: USC, UU and UO. The QB and OL will be better in 2022 than 2021. There are only three players that are catastrophic losses and all are on defense: Landman, Gonzalez and Wells even though Wells was misused and rendered relatively ineffective in 2021. Given how Chev used Rice in 2021 the loss of Rice isn’t bad relative to last season.

Games that CU is capable of in 2022:

TCU - 1st game by new TCU coaching staff on the road in Boulder.
@AFA - these types of teams are unique but with inferior athletes
@ U of M - they lost their OC that punished CU in 2021 ( ha ha 🙃)
UCLA - losing DTR, their star WR and probably TE. Possibly a new HC.
@U of A - massive **** show program till proven otherwise. Recruiting has improved but overall team talent is awful.
Cal - home game against a middling program.
@OSU - middling program
ASU - program is crumbling and their vaunted DC is NFL bound
@UW - who knows what is going on up their and they just brought in s fully losded G5 coaching staff.

Worst case: Three wins
Best case: Six wins

Yes, CU was a doormat. But to say CU is declining is just flat mob mentality group think. KD is building a better program than MacIntyre built. KD is not building a better program than what MT was building and that is why KD is so hated.

MT gave us hope and KD is a disappointment following MT. KD is a better coach than Hawkins, Embree and MacIntyre. I’m not saying KD is going to build CU i to a winner, just that he isn’t a program wrecker at an already wrecked program.
Mike MacIntyre would coach circles around Karl Dorrell…and that is saying something. The fact that KD is still forcing a pro style run first offense is ridiculous, a program like CU that can’t recruit OL worth a **** needs to be RPO or spread based to stand a chance. The OC position needed to be someone from an innovative spread/RPO offensive system. KD’s unwillingness to adapt offensively is his downfall and will ultimately get him fired, when his contract is up.

You need to take some deep breaths and step away

Won't be able to predict win/loss record until fall camp. Attrition will continue well into the summer. ZU is going to have to add several more guys from. The portal and coach them up.

Were BR and Lewis roommates, were Rice's dad and KD buddies way back when?? As the World Turns.

The only hope I can see, is if CU somehow gets the full support of the HS coaches and starts taking all the top Colorado kids they can (reference Matt the private trainer, saying CU made little to no effort to keep the top linemen this last round). Let's see Polis skydive in to some big HS games. Gold tights, Black chute; get the excitement going.

Last edited:
It's possible Dorrell could improve the talent through the portal. Their biggest loses were Gonzo and Rice, so it most certainly could improve.

I think we can all agree KD improved the coaching staff, and we still have at least one staff member to go. He's finally able to build his staff the way he wants, so we will see how this goes. Unfortunately, he really doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, so he doesn't get the benefit of time. I think RG gives him until 2023 due to the handcuffs he put on him initially.

My biggest issues with Dorrell are still recruiting in today's college football and offensive scheme that he still seems to think hasn't changed since he last left college. If he can improve on those two, we could see a successful season and turn for the better.

I don't see this happening, but we are seeing some positive signs with staffing.

Dorrell’s signings are at the level of MM’s best classes and the 2022 coaching staff is much better than 2021 and any MM ever had. Top it off with CU still plays in the Pac-12 and there are only three conference teams CU cannot beat: USC, UU and UO. The QB and OL will be better in 2022 than 2021. There are only three players that are catastrophic losses and all are on defense: Landman, Gonzalez and Wells even though Wells was misused and rendered relatively ineffective in 2021. Given how Chev used Rice in 2021 the loss of Rice isn’t bad relative to last season.

Games that CU is capable of in 2022:

TCU - 1st game by new TCU coaching staff on the road in Boulder.
@AFA - these types of teams are unique but with inferior athletes
@ U of M - they lost their OC that punished CU in 2021 ( ha ha 🙃)
UCLA - losing DTR, their star WR and probably TE. Possibly a new HC.
@U of A - massive **** show program till proven otherwise. Recruiting has improved but overall team talent is awful.
Cal - home game against a middling program.
@OSU - middling program
ASU - program is crumbling and their vaunted DC is NFL bound
@UW - who knows what is going on up their and they just brought in s fully losded G5 coaching staff.

Worst case: Three wins
Best case: Six wins
Outside of BLew experiencing a quantum leap or Shrout/new QB being the absolute truth this program will be lucky to win 2 next year.

It's possible Dorrell could improve the talent through the portal. Their biggest loses were Gonzo and Rice, so it most certainly could improve.

I think we can all agree KD improved the coaching staff, and we still have at least one staff member to go. He's finally able to build his staff the way he wants, so we will see how this goes. Unfortunately, he really doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, so he doesn't get the benefit of time. I think RG gives him until 2023 due to the handcuffs he put on him initially.

My biggest issues with Dorrell are still recruiting in today's college football and offensive scheme that he still seems to think hasn't changed since he last left college. If he can improve on those two, we could see a successful season and turn for the better.

I don't see this happening, but we are seeing some positive signs with staffing.
Dude.

Respectfully to him, if Phil was a 4* recruit, who was quite clearly CU’s best player and only got 2 carries/game, he would be running to the portal too.

You may be right although we'll obviously never know. But don't you think there's something to say for guys who stick it out and get their chance? I get that some guys get in a bad situation, or just the wrong situation, but if they're ultimately good enough they will get their shot while battling adversity along the way which only makes them into a better and tougher player

You may be right although we'll obviously never know. But don't you think there's something to say for guys who stick it out and get their chance? I get that some guys get in a bad situation, or just the wrong situation, but if they're ultimately good enough they will get their shot while battling adversity along the way which only makes them into a better and tougher player
Rice’s issue wasn’t “getting his shot”, it was that he plays the most dependent position in football and the guys he depended on were some of the worst in the country, both teammates and coaching staff. There was zero upside sticking it out and hoping Mike Sanford and Karl Dorrell we’re going to right the ship enough to help him get to the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back