What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy Bloom (and many other Olympic athletes) earn endorsement money as 18-21 year olds. Should we step in and administer that? It’s pretty much the same “job” as a college athlete.
I think that's the challenge in terms of keeping that separate. I think the idea of NIL was that if EASports re-launched its college football and basketball games with names and likenesses of the players that it was only fair that the players participated in the licensing revenue from those games. Further, that if an athlete could make some money signing footballs or get paid for a different sport like Bloom or even be a spokesperson for a auto dealership -- that the players could earn that money. It was never intended that schools would work with boosters to set up NIL deals as a recruiting and transfer portal management incentive to attract & retain players.

I am sure you don’t mean it that way but there’s a pretty significant racial undertone in that statement.
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!! Take it easy!

I simply meant that schools might pick sports that they CAN compete in like basketball, hockey or rugby and drop sports like football if they can't compete because the fans won't support NIL for the players.

NO RACIAL UNDERTONE WHATSOEVER!!!

I think that's the challenge in terms of keeping that separate. I think the idea of NIL was that if EASports re-launched its college football and basketball games with names and likenesses of the players that it was only fair that the players participated in the licensing revenue from those games. Further, that if an athlete could make some money signing footballs or get paid for a different sport like Bloom or even be a spokesperson for a auto dealership -- that the players could earn that money. It was never intended that schools would work with boosters to set up NIL deals as a recruiting and transfer portal management incentive to attract & retain players.
Anybody that didn't see this coming is an idiot!

But I don't understand why that matters in how we approach the players and the money they earn. If the money comes from what is essentially a recruiting budget it is somehow different than it coming form EASports or the local auto dealership? Is there a dollar amount above which we don't trust the players to handle their money and should impose some sort of money management scheme (which will inevitably enrich the people managing the money at the expense of the players).

Honestly, I'm fine with the NIL deals being used as recruiting incentives. It's taking something that already exists in the shadows and brings it out in the open.

Honestly, I'm fine with the NIL deals being used as recruiting incentives. It's taking something that already exists in the shadows and brings it out in the open.
This is a point with which I have a very hard time arguing. Get it out in the open, do we like what we see? If not, fix it - but sweeping the parts we don't like back under the rug isn't an option.

But I don't understand why that matters in how we approach the players and the money they earn. If the money comes from what is essentially a recruiting budget it is somehow different than it coming form EASports or the local auto dealership? Is there a dollar amount above which we don't trust the players to handle their money and should impose some sort of money management scheme (which will inevitably enrich the people managing the money at the expense of the players).

On some levels I'm fine with it.

I think, though, that what we're seeing is that government, legal and university administrators were not capable of anticipating consequences of deregulation from the reactions of aggressive monied interests (or, in many cases, worrying about consequences either wasn't their job or the monied interests were in their pockets & drove the new rules).

In short, the landscape has been drastically altered in ways the NCAA & the majority of its members & its fans do not want so we're about to see challenges, backlash and restructuring.

I think, though, that what we're seeing is that government, legal and university administrators were not capable of anticipating consequences of deregulation from the reactions of aggressive monied interests (or, in many cases, worrying about consequences either wasn't their job or the monied interests were in their pockets & drove the new rules).

In short, the landscape has been drastically altered in ways the NCAA & the majority of its members & its fans do not want so we're about to see challenges, backlash and restructuring.
I think that the marketplace will soon decide that college football just isn’t as fun as it used to be.

I do think the “amateur” nature of the sport, although exploitive, made it entertaining. It will be interesting to see if it is sustainable. My guess is no.

I'm not so sure that the landscape has really changed outside of some of the money going to players above the table. It's not like CU was competing with the haves before and we will continue to not compete with them in the new system.

Moneyed interests already controlled and warped the landscape. Phil Knight made Oregon relevant with his millions and that was ok but once some of that money goes to the players that's a huge problem?

I'm not following you. What would be different if the ruling had been 5-4?
If it had been 5-4 there would be a reasonable chance of coming up with a tweak or compromise that would "win" over the 5th vote.

9-0 means your system is ****ed, and no tweaks around the edges can fix it.

I'm not so sure that the landscape has really changed outside of some of the money going to players above the table. It's not like CU was competing with the haves before and we will continue to not compete with them in the new system.

Moneyed interests already controlled and warped the landscape. Phil Knight made Oregon relevant with his millions and that was ok but once some of that money goes to the players that's a huge problem?
It has changed. As an example, Nike can now treat Oregon athletics as a business unit with the players on all those teams being more accountable to that company than to their coaches or university since they can all be on the payroll. I think the landscape has changed to the point where instead of trying to make more Athletic Department revenue through stadium sponsorship deals, the folks working in that ADep should give that advertising away to companies that are willing to pony up and contribute to paying the players - if they want to have enough talent to win. I'm not sure any more what college athletics has to do with college.

Maybe the NCAA should start looking to do deals with the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and other pro leagues to partner with the NCAA to make member institutions its minor league feeder.

I guess 'vote' is the right word
If it had been 5-4 there would be a reasonable chance of coming up with a tweak or compromise that would "win" over the 5th vote.

9-0 means your system is ****ed, and no tweaks around the edges can fix it.
I'm not sure. I don't recall a compromise following Citizens United or Bush v Gore or other high profile 5-4 rulings. It seems that once SCOTUS rules, it's done, regardless of whether 9-0 or 5-4 or whatever.

Could be only my perception not matching reality though

It has changed. As an example, Nike can now treat Oregon athletics as a business unit with the players on all those teams being more accountable to that company than to their coaches or university since they can all be on the payroll. I think the landscape has changed to the point where instead of trying to make more Athletic Department revenue through stadium sponsorship deals, the folks working in that ADep should give that advertising away to companies that are willing to pony up and contribute to paying the players - if they want to have enough talent to win. I'm not sure any more what college athletics has to do with college.

Maybe the NCAA should start looking to do deals with the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS and other pro leagues to partner with the NCAA to make member institutions its minor league feeder.
The shoes companies are already doing this. You seem to have forgotten the Rick Pitino, Louisville national champion BBall team, and ADIDAS scandal.

The shoes companies are already doing this. You seem to have forgotten the Rick Pitino, Louisville national champion BBall team, and ADIDAS scandal.
Funny thing with that is that the people who may get hurt the most financially in all of this are the folks who coach or own AAU teams or training gyms or work in recruiting services companies. NIL cuts out the need to pay them and have them be bag men to get the cash to players & their families or to have them funnel them to certain schools. That Nike or Adidas rep can just contact and contract the players directly now.

Funny thing with that is that the people who may get hurt the most financially in all of this are the folks who coach or own AAU teams or training gyms or work in recruiting services companies. NIL cuts out the need to pay them and have them be bag men to get the cash to players & their families or to have them funnel them to certain schools. That Nike or Adidas rep can just contact and contract the players directly now.
I will say, though, that the odds are good that we'll see a significant rise in "street agents" who will go from being underground pariahs to legitimized ones. Recruiting could very well start going through street agents in order to sign players to college programs.

Of course. Very similar to drug legalization. Bag men have been doing this for a long time. They have to be legit now. Rumor has it that Rick George was CU’s bag man when we had really elite teams…

I guess 'vote' is the right word

I'm not sure. I don't recall a compromise following Citizens United or Bush v Gore or other high profile 5-4 rulings. It seems that once SCOTUS rules, it's done, regardless of whether 9-0 or 5-4 or whatever.

Could be only my perception not matching reality though
Think of it more like gay marriage or 2nd A cases, where each successive 5-4 ruling shows possible nuances and changes to laws that could be made and then possibly be acceptable. As many of these laws happen at the state level, you have 50 state legislatures/executives willing to try out different things to further the policy goals, that might also "win" that 5th vote.

In the two cases you cite as close 5-4 decisions, you either have legislative paralysis at the federal level or a lack of a plausible way forward for any "alternative."

Many times, in a 5-4 ruling, there are technical tweaks that could be made that might meet the rubric of a single additional judge. For instance, when the SC gutted the Voting Rights Act, there was (and is) still scope to reinstate much of it with the proper legislative action. The fact that the legislative action hasn't happened has nothing to do with the legislature accepting the SC's decision as something that isn't changeable.

Had the ruling in this case been 5-4, there would likely be some scope to promulgate a new policy that was substantially similar, but that had been tweaked in ways to meet the scrutiny of one additional justice. But when it's 9-0, there's not much room but to just start over.

Phil couldn't pay the players. Their economic situation was not changed by going to Oregon vs CU. That's just starting to change and it's going to change in a big way. I guess we'll see but I'm hearing it's a free for all and the first one that's going to really piss most of us off will be Nebraska.

Phil couldn't pay the players. Their economic situation was not changed by going to Oregon vs CU. That's just starting to change and it's going to change in a big way. I guess we'll see but I'm hearing it's a free for all and the first one that's going to really piss most of us off will be Nebraska.
Huh? Phil certainly paid players through the bag man network.

Skimming through the Transfer Portal thread I'm seeing posts on the Supreme Court, gay marriage, legalization of drugs, possible racial undertones and all that just on this page alone. I think I'll bookmark this thread where the fun never ends.

As @manhattanbuff points out, he was already paying players but, beyond that, we were all ok with him spending millions on facilities at Oregon to attract players but not with him actually paying them directly.

I think the real change is that many fans like having plausible deniability when it comes to how college sports really work. Now they can't pretend that there's some pure version of college football where schools care about the student athlete beyond what they are worth to the bottom line.

Skimming through the Transfer Portal thread I'm seeing posts on the Supreme Court, gay marriage, legalization of drugs, possible racial undertones and all that just on this page alone. I think I'll bookmark this thread where the fun never ends.
I'll stop. Mods, feel free to trim anything so this thread can focus on players in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back