What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buyouts are part of the contract. Good luck getting any coach to sign a contract with that stipulation.
If they have no choice because it’s an NCAA rule (in theory), they would. As it stands, you have coaches like Jimbo who can leave whenever he wants with no reparations for the program, but of the program wants to move on from him, he gets $100m fully guaranteed or something close to that

"Pressuring the NCAA" does jack **** if what you want the NCAA to do is something that is illegal under state or federal law.
I would be happy if NCAA uniformly enforced the rules it does have. Until it does that, new rules are meaningless. How about investigating recruiting violations? I will repeat this until something happens, how about some sanctions against ASU for glaring recruiting violations, on camera, on social media?

When you don't enforce the rules you have, you become meaningless. The NCAA let themselves become so, and as a result, who knows what qualifies as "outside the lines" anymore? Straight up pay-to-play, interference/communication with players who aren't the portal, may be perfectly ok these days. No way the NCAA can do anything at this point, it's become standard practice. They clearly don't want to do anything about it.

Smart businesses adapt to adverse legal rulings, and many even avoid the problems before they hit the court system. NCAA reminds me of the International Olympic Committe: completely corrupt. self-serving, and entirely money grubbing.

Contracts (scholarships) are year to year.

In practice it is a 4 or 5 year contract. Student expect to get a scholarship until they graduate. Or do you want CU to kick players out that are not performing every year? cU even guarantees the scholarship to players that medically retire. We even give scholarships to iiathletes that don't generate a lot of money for the school. I am all for the right of the player. But we have to be careful about talking about yearly contracts. Don't give programs like CU any new ideas that will harm student athletes. It is not a 12 month contract. Got to find the right balance that protects the integrity of the game and the right of the player.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a list of the best prospects we should watch out for in the portal?
I've been looking, but at this stage they can't enroll until the end of the spring semester. So while there's got to be activity behind the scenes, I think they're focused an Feb 2nd signing day & prepping for spring ball. Additional transfers is somewhat back burner for the next week and they also want to see who becomes available via spring defections from other programs.

In practice it is a 4 or 5 year contract. Student expect to get a scholarship until they graduate. Or do you want CU to kick players out that are not performing every year? cU even guarantees the scholarship to players that medically retire. We even give scholarships to iiathletes that don't generate a lot of money for the school. I am all for the right of the player. But we have to be careful about talking about yearly contracts. Don't give programs like CU any new ideas that will harm student athletes. It is not a 12 month contract. Got to find the right balance that protects the integrity of the game and the right of the player.
If the players expect to be paid while treating every offseason as free agency for themselves, I think it's absolutely fair for schools to also make "business decisions" every offseason on players by deciding who is delivering performance and potential enough along with the right attitude vs who is not. You can't have it both ways.

On the same note, don't tell me he's a professional making business decisions - then play the "he's just a kid" card if I say something negative about him the same way I would an NFL professional.

If the players expect to be paid while treating every offseason as free agency for themselves, I think it's absolutely fair for schools to also make "business decisions" every offseason on players by deciding who is delivering performance and potential enough along with the right attitude vs who is not. You can't have it both ways.

On the same note, don't tell me he's a professional making business decisions - then play the "he's just a kid" card if I say something negative about him the same way I would an NFL professional.
I personally send all official business communications via screenshots of the Notes app on Twitter with a misspelled word rate of 50%+ and hold all meetings via Instagram live stomping on various vendors’ apparel

x1000!!

Yeah but when KD goes on his visit. What does he tell the parents? What does the actual NIL contract say?

We don't have to be careful about anything because nobody who matters is paying attention to what a few Buff fans are saying on this site. The fact is that players are encouraged to find other opportunities all of the time and scholarships are renewed on a year-by-year basis and can be pulled in any given year. Schools do generally see them as a four to five year commitment to an athlete, which is a good thing, but that "we act in good faith" is not enough justification to treat college athletes as indentured servants the way they have been.

So what if USC is poaching CU's players? Why does it matter if it's USC or Michigan or anyone else? Those players aren't going to contribute to CU anymore no matter where they go. You're the one who keeps saying we'll be fine when KD gets a few more players through the portal.

Wisconsin entering the chat! Damn, even though it probably isn't going to happen, I have to think to even get a meeting with CW and his family, they had to have come in with a massive offer

Wisconsin entering the chat! Damn, even though it probably isn't going to happen, I have to think to even get a meeting with CW and his family, they had to have come in with a massive offer

hahahahahaha dear lord I'd love to see Riley lose CW to a school known for winning 10 games a year with slightly above average QB play.

hahahahahaha dear lord I'd love to see Riley lose CW to a school known for winning 10 games a year with slightly above average QB play.
If I was Wisconsin, my pitch would be very simple: "Let me show you how we did as a team & the draft position it set up for Russell Wilson when he chose to transfer here."

If I was Wisconsin, my pitch would be very simple: "Let me show you how we did as a team & the draft position it set up for Russell Wilson when he chose to transfer here."
That’s a tough sell when the main competition is Lincoln Riley having 2 Heisman trophy winners, another as a finalist, two #1 overall picks, and the other a 2nd rounder.

I think Wisconsin’s sell is “you are the man here for the remainder of your career, you’re going to have one of the best defenses in the country, the best running game in the country, and YOU are going to put us squarely in CFP contention as the best QB to ever play at Wisconsin. Oh, and here’s this check for $1m”

Keep in mind U$C has the number 2 QB recruit next year behind Manning. How do you think S.Rattler enjoyed having Caleb behind him knowing any mistakes could lead to a benching or even an injury might cost him his job.
If I’m Wisconsin my sell is the JT Daniel’s story. You want to lose your job if you get an injury and the next man up plays well enough he can’t be benched. Then end up transferring again? Or you know we can’t get 5 star kids every year so your job exponentially safer here and you have more room for mistakes and growth without having to look over your shoulder.

Keep in mind U$C has the number 2 QB recruit next year behind Manning. How do you think S.Rattler enjoyed having Caleb behind him knowing any mistakes could lead to a benching or even an injury might cost him his job.
If I’m Wisconsin my sell is the JT Daniel’s story. You want to lose your job if you get an injury and the next man up plays well enough he can’t be benched. Then end up transferring again? Or you know we can’t get 5 star kids every year so your job exponentially safer here and you have more room for mistakes and growth without having to look over your shoulder.
No one at his level who you'd want playing for you is concerned that there's anyone who would beat him out in a fair competition.

No one at his level who you'd want playing for you is concerned that there's anyone who would beat him out in a fair competition.
I was thinking about this a little more last night after talking to my FIL in Madison. Crazy to think this appears to be down to Wisconsin and USC for Caleb Williams and there really isn't anything you can point to that gives Wisconsin an advantage over USC when recruiting a QB.

However, it occurred to me that Wisconsin's OL coach/OC, Joe Rudolph, left to be the OL coach at VaTech (making me believe Chryst encouraged him to move on), and Chryst is likely bringing in Bobby Engram to be the new OC. Engram was the WR coach under Chryst at Pitt and is currently the Ravens' TE coach.

Pair these moves at key offensive staff positions, a new AD at UW with Alvarez no longer running the show (at least publicly), increasingly lackluster offensive performances over the last couple seasons, the program falling short of expectations, and now the rumors of the top QB transfer and former 5* recruit Caleb Williams being courted and seriously entertaining the idea, and I am wondering if we are about to see Wisconsin enter the modern age of offensive football.

TL/DR - I think there is evidence that Wisconsin could be moving to a modern offense, which could be part of the sell to Williams.

I was thinking about this a little more last night after talking to my FIL in Madison. Crazy to think this appears to be down to Wisconsin and USC for Caleb Williams and there really isn't anything you can point to that gives Wisconsin an advantage over USC when recruiting a QB.

However, it occurred to me that Wisconsin's OL coach/OC, Joe Rudolph, left to be the OL coach at VaTech (making me believe Chryst encouraged him to move on), and Chryst is likely bringing in Bobby Engram to be the new OC. Engram was the WR coach under Chryst at Pitt and is currently the Ravens' TE coach.

Pair these moves at key offensive staff positions, a new AD at UW with Alvarez no longer running the show (at least publicly), increasingly lackluster offensive performances over the last couple seasons, the program falling short of expectations, and now the rumors of the top QB transfer and former 5* recruit Caleb Williams being courted and seriously entertaining the idea, and I am wondering if we are about to see Wisconsin enter the modern age of offensive football.

TL/DR - I think there is evidence that Wisconsin could be moving to a modern offense, which could be part of the sell to Williams.

Attachments

• F74ADCEE-5FA0-4AE9-B4D6-5E4A80CDD6F6.png
    F74ADCEE-5FA0-4AE9-B4D6-5E4A80CDD6F6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Definitely some connections, but it's really hard for me to believe the top QB transfer in the country would even consider a move to Wisconsin where he will go under Center 85% of the time and hand the ball off 40 times/game, especially when his other option is Lincoln Riley turning almost every QB he touches into a Heisman winner and #1 overall draft pick.

Have to believe Wisconsin is planning on going more Spread based in 2022, which would be a wild change

Definitely some connections, but it's really hard for me to believe the top QB transfer in the country would even consider a move to Wisconsin where he will go under Center 85% of the time and hand the ball off 40 times/game, especially when his other option is Lincoln Riley turning almost every QB he touches into a Heisman winner and #1 overall draft pick.

Have to believe Wisconsin is planning on going more Spread based in 2022, which would be a wild change
Wisconsin can point to Russell Wilson as an example of a transfer who can perform in that offense and get noticed.

They can, but then Lincoln Riley points to Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts in back to back to back seasons
Williams has seen Riley up close. He’s seen how he handled Spencer Rattler. There’s a very good chance he didn’t have the best experience with Riley this last year. Not saying that’s true but it’s certainly a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back