What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the employees work at a single company, though. The UAW will represent all employees at GM in their negotiations with GM. With NIL, you could have 50 players making deals with 50 different sponsors, and that’s just on one football team at one school. You’d potentially have thousands of athletes working thousands of separate deals. Unworkable for a union to negotiate in that kind of environment.

Uhh, no. Ever heard of SAG? Every member is guaranteed a union wage from any of hundreds of production companies.

I believe there are enough logistical challenges to make any kind of collective bargaining arrangement untenable. I think this is likely going to end up being managed by some kind of consortium of the conferences. So many ways this could go that it’s really hard to make any predictions that come with any level of certainty.

well he may be bad at coaching college football in 2022, but he's being honest about it

What annoys me the most is that he should have been talking to (well actually listening to, which is a different thing) the players *before* the season ended. If he had been doing that part of his job correctly, then he would have known he needed to have a more thorough talk with them after the season ended - and if he had been excelling at the "listening" part during the season, then he would not have needed to have those discussions after the season ended at all and he could have focused on recruiting.

He obviously has no system or method to get feedback from the players other than their twitter announcements that they're leaving the program. There's just too many data points to think otherwise. (Exhibit A: this admission, exhibit B. the OL's comments about coach gumbo, and more...)

Maybe he'll create one now - but it needs to be something he does regularly, even during the season. It can't just be a thing that is done a few times during recruiting dead periods that occur outside of the season, spring practice, and fall camp.

Last edited:
What annoys me the most is that he should have been talking to (well actually listening to, which is a different thing) the players *before* the season ended. If he had been doing that part of his job correctly, then he would have known he needed to have a more thorough talk with them after the season ended - and if he had been excelling at the "listening" part during the season, then he would not have needed to have those discussions after the season ended at all and he could have focused on recruiting.

He obviously has no system or method to get feedback from the players other than their twitter announcements that they're leaving the program. There's just too many data points to think otherwise.

Maybe he'll create one now - but it needs to be something he does regularly, even during the season. It can't just be a thing that is done a few times during recruiting dead periods that occur outside of the season, spring practice, and fall camp.
One can almost hear HCKD saying, "you mean I have to coach AND talk to them?"

KD maybe should have popped his head into a room or two before, a couple times during, at the end of the season and several times during the off season.
FIFY. Open communication is ongoing, it's not something that's done a couple times a year.

well he may be bad at coaching college football in 2022, but he's being honest about it

Well, I guess the "glass half full" thought would be that KD does evaluate everything that goes wrong and has shown he will adjust.

So now that he has realized that it's important to meet with his players to explain his plan for the program and for them, in the future he will do so (at least at the end of the season to avoid some transfer problems).

Necessary changes to get the CU program to the basic standards of how to run a football program is a multi-year learning process. Baby steps. I figure that KD will have things looking competent in most areas by 2024.

I think that's the main thing that will cause NCAA members to want things changed. For years, schools had their official, legit boosters who you'd see at AD events. Then you had your shadow boosters who funded the pay-for-players program but kept at arms length so the NCAA wouldn't bust the school for their activities.

Now, the legit boosters are having to decide if they should continue to donate to the AD or spend that money directly to a NIL fund for players. If the schools start having to cover AD budget shortfalls from reduced donations, these NCAA members will quickly force rules changes.
Hmm. I thought NCAA rules specifically restrict boosters from providing any inducements to players. My bad.

Well, I guess the "glass half full" thought would be that KD does evaluate everything that goes wrong and has shown he will adjust.

So now that he has realized that it's important to meet with his players to explain his plan for the program and for them, in the future he will do so (at least at the end of the season to avoid some transfer problems).

Necessary changes to get the CU program to the basic standards of how to run a football program is a multi-year learning process. Baby steps. I figure that KD will have things looking competent in most areas by 2024.

Nothing like having your coach learning on the job at a P5 school. Embarrassing

2024 eh. We may even be a respectable, perennial .500 program by then. Great fun.

I think HCKD should have an open door policy and encourage players to come forward if they want to talk about anything. But he has a staff for a reason, and the position coaches should be closer to their guys anyway, and should schedule end of season meetings.

I think HCKD should have an open door policy and encourage players to come forward if they want to talk about anything. But he has a staff for a reason, and the position coaches should be closer to their guys anyway, and should schedule end of season meetings.
I'm reminded of Brian Kelly almost losing his job at Notre Dame ~5 years ago because he was losing his team by not building personal relationships with players, letting his hair down, etc. He went 180 degrees the other direction and his greatest success there followed. Now at LSU, we're seeing the silliness of his dance moves and whatnot. You simply cannot be an aloof taskmaster as a HC in this era of college football if you want to get buy-in from your players. And beyond that, those players can easily leave for somewhere they feel appreciated.

What alarms me the most is that he fessed up to this, apparently not cognizant of how completely incompetent this omission makes him appear.

Who hires those guys and dictates the processess and best practices of the program? Oh yeah, the head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back