What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hadn’t been paying attention to the transfer stuff with bowl season. Just now hearing about Gonzo and Rice leaving. Bad, bad sign. This is going to be Embree levels of suck for the next couple years. I’m not sure the current college football environment allows a Mike Mac type of rebuild.

Fully possible to never see the Buffs get to a Rose Bowl or beat ****ing USC in my lifetime. Pretty damn apathetic about the Buffs and the current state of college football.

Hell we don’t even have a rival to look forward to playing every year.

OTOH it would be the fastest faceplant ever for assholeskin
Yeah I think he could make just as much in the way of NIL and improve his draft stock just as effectively if he transferred to Michigan State-and here's my point with that comment. There's no way the system and the sport works long term if kids can move within conferences.

Yeah I think he could make just as much in the way of NIL and improve his draft stock just as effectively if he transferred to Michigan State-and here's my point with that comment. There's no way the system and the sport works long term if kids can move within conference
Rice is easily the kind of kid who might get left behind in the portal because there's so much talent in it right now. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

You said he was gonna get left behind. You then doubled down because I don't think you know any other way

He won’t get left behind. You know that. I think.

Let's pick this discussion up after he announces his next move.

So now your point was that he could go to Michigan State and also improve his stock? :unsure:

You said he was gonna get left behind. You then doubled down because I don't think you know any other way

So now your point was that he could go to Michigan State and also improve his stock? :unsure:
I don't think his meh 2021 helps him. If I'm Lincoln Riley and I'm in the market for a WR, I'm way more interested in Jadon Hazelwood or Cowing (1354 yards receiving) from UTEP right now than I am Rice.

No-that's a comment on the system. This sport has a parody problem right now. Since the advent of the CFP, six schools have won semifinal games-Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, and Oregon. Why continue it in a way that only exacerbates the problem by allowing Alabama to recruit Texas A&M's players?

Last edited:
I don't think his meh 2021 helps him. If I'm Lincoln Riley and I'm in the market for a WR, I'm way more interested in Jadon Hazelwood or Cowing (1354 yards receiving) from UTEP right now than I am Rice.

Well you wouldn't be Lincoln Riley because he sucks along with literally every other coach that isn't Nick Saban

No-that's a comment on the system. This sport has a parody problem right now. Since the advent of the CFP, six schools have won semifinal games-Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, and Oregon. Why continue it in a way that only exacerbates the problem by allowing Alabama to recruit Texas A&M's players?
Once again, not owning up to a horrendously bad take, and just starting a new conversation. You can’t even address it when white rabbit called you out specifically, even though you are responding to him.

Nobody is talking about the merits of transferring within conferences. You said Rice was the type of guy who would get left behind in the portal. You literally couldn’t have been more wrong if you tried.

Now, apologize to us all

Ugh. Colorado prep football sucks ass.
Okay.

"The top five blockers in the state, who make up five of 247Sports’ top seven in-state prospects, are expected instead on Wednesday "to sign with … deep breath … Ohio State (Cherry Creek’s George Fitzpatrick, the state’s No. 2 prep); Stanford (Valor’s Jake Maikkula, No. 3); Michigan State (Eaglecrest’s Braden Miller, No. 5); Michigan (Palmer Ridge’s Connor Jones, No. 6); and Kansas State (Erie’s John Pastore, No. 7)."

Who can blame him?
It's all about the 💰. These kids are young and most don't come from families with money. If you have the opportunity or even think you do to improve your stock or value, do it.

Who can blame him?
It's all about the 💰. These kids are young and most don't come from families with money. If you have the opportunity or even think you do to improve your stock or value, do it.
I don't know the family situation, but I'm not sure that's an issue here...

Who can blame him?
Again, and this isn’t directed at you per se - who cares why they’re transferring? They’re unhappy, they see a potential better opportunity and they jump at it. Good for them. I’ve done that with my job a few times in my career. Every member of this coaching staff has inevitably done this repeatedly.

If there is a chance to make your life better, you do it. Period. Hard stop.

Again, and this isn’t directed at you per se - who cares why they’re transferring? They’re unhappy, they see a potential better opportunity and they jump at it. Good for them. I’ve done that with my job a few times in my career. Every member of this coaching staff has inevitably done this repeatedly.

I think it matters very much why somebody is transferring.

I'm guessing you really don't mean that last part. Many times a better person will sacrifice for a greater good. Like the hero who rushes the gunman. Like guys who temporarily give up a shot at the NFL, to play another year with their teammates/brothers.

I think the "15 Minutes of Fame", factors in a little with some of these kids

Honestly, when I think about the fact that Chev and Dorrell weren’t force feeding him quick screens, jet sweeps, slants, and go balls (easy throws for even the worst QBs), the more I realize just how inept they were/are as offensive coaches
Chev force fed a player until he broke everything in 2018 (Viska). His OC philosophy revolved completely around getting the ball to your playmakers. This is a KD problem and will be his undoing if he doesn’t change that philosophy in 2021.

I’m impressed with how Dorrell has built part of his staff, especially defense. None of that matters though because he is too hard headed to change his offensive and recruiting philosophies. Frustrating

This will be the new normal for lower P5 teams like the Buffs. Top players will bolt to elite top 10 programs every year. The only chance CU and others will have is to get quantity back from the portal from the elite teams.

meaning CU will lose the Gonzos and Rices of the world every year and must hit impact players from the portal at a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 or so ratio. Buffs loose best WR but pick up a starting T and G for example.

Watching several bowl games yesterday it was evident to me that even the backups or rotational guys could easily start for the Buffs. It is of course a completely different conversation if KD and staff can actually execute this portal strategy. To me this is the only way lower P5 teams can survive this farm system as the new normal.

Let me preface this by saying losing Rice sucks, he was probably our best player and CU can’t afford to let talent walk out the door.

However, WR and RB are two positions at which they can “afford” to lose talented players, as long as they are able to backfill with transfers who have shown the ability to play. Honestly, until they get the OL/DL fixed, those two positions are luxuries more than anything as it relates to the team success.

In relation to lower P5 teams losing stars to top 15 teams, those top 15 teams will have depth attrition as well. And, consequently we will see highly ranked HS players buried on depth charts, leaving top 15 programs for an opportunity to earn playing time at the lower P5 teams. Hopefully Buffs can sell playing time and scoop some of these players up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back