What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023-24 Coaching Carousel (Fitzgerald out, DC Braun interim at Northwestern)

And chance Jonathan Smith would be interested in Arkansas when the P-12(-10) crumbles at the end of this year?

Elko's stock is high enough IMO to where he doesn't need to look at Michigan State or Northwestern. I think he might really like the part of the country he's in-he was the DC at Wake Forest before Kelly hired him at ND. Let's say for the sake of this post that Ferentz steps down at Iowa. That might be the kind of gig Elko leaves Duke for.

Mark Dantonio is back in some assistant HC/mentor role for MSU's staff. I wonder if he's not pushing their AD to hire one of his guys......like Pat Narduzzi.

Jonathan Smith has never coached outside of the PNW-Montana, Boise State, and UW. I don't know if I see him making a move to the SEC...but here's a thought with him. Can Chip Kelly survive UCLA possibly going off the rails in conference play? They have WSU and @OSU the next two weeks. They could lose both those games. They go to Stanford after that. Let's say that's a W. I think the game with us is a toss-up. UCLA could easily be a rather meh 4-4 going into November. Smith was born in Pasadena.

Last edited:
Elko's stock is high enough IMO to where he doesn't need to look at Michigan State or Northwestern. I think he might really like the part of the country he's in-he was the DC at Wake Forest before Kelly hired him at ND. Let's say for the sake of this post that Ferentz steps down at Iowa. That might be the kind of gig Elko leaves Duke for.

Mark Dantonio is back in some assistant HC/mentor role for MSU's staff. I wonder if he's not pushing their AD to hire one of his guys......like Pat Narduzzi.

Jonathan Smith has never coached outside of the PNW-Montana, Boise State, and UW. I don't know if I see him making a move to the SEC...but here's a thought with him. Can Chip Kelly survive UCLA possibly going off the rails in conference play? They have WSU and @OSU the next two weeks. They could lose both those games. They go to Stanford after that. Let's say that's a W. I think the game with us is a toss-up. UCLA could easily be a rather meh 4-4 going into November. Smith was born in Pasadena.
Have no idea if any candidate fits, but Iowa probably hires in the family

Have no idea if any candidate fits, but Iowa probably hires in the family
That job might not be a great example-but my overall opinion of Elko is his stock is high enough to where he doesn't have to jump at an opening created by hazing or masturbation scandals.

I’m not of fan of people who make declarative statements about future coaching moves, but I feel pretty confident that Prime will never be the coach at Texas A&M.
You’re probably right, but they’ve been mentioned by fans and some CFB fringe media types as “imagine what Deion could do in recruiting at aTm”, so figured it’s relevant. We’re going to stress over any big job opening in the SEC

You know what, I believe Prime that he's in it for the longer haul, or at least until he gets us significantly turned around. He admittedly loves the process more than just the results. Going to aTm or LSU would be a quick turnaround for him, not much of a process as those two schools haven't dropped off far, they just lack a coach. That would take Prime 3-6 months to fix. Seems like less of a process to me. He doesn't seem driven solely by the $ either, so he's not gonna pick cash over his values and faith. I'm not saying Prime is here forever but I can guarandamntee you he's not pulling a Midnight Mel. Go Buffs!

Reactions: DBT
CP wants big personal challenges. The downtrodden, the impoverished. I worry about about a team/program where people would tell him, "you can't win there"

I know CP isn’t married to CU, but he isn’t leaving for a University where boosters stick their nose into coach business. The boosters at aTm would hate that CP would completely blow off their input. Not sure what LSU boosters are like, but if it’s anything like normal SEC programs then I don’t think it’s a fit for CP.

I think CP jumps to the SEC only if one of the programs is so down trodden that they are willing to hand him the keys, then step aside and stay out of the way. This isn’t the DNA of the SEC.

Where does the A&M job rank? Is it a tier 1 job?

Tier 2.

Duded is mostly right, but geographically College Station kind of sucks, and it's surrounded by other solid to great programs in TCU, Houston, and Texas that are all in better towns. There's more ways to lose a recruiting battle at aTm than just about anywhere else. Almost analogous to basketball recruiting at Wake.

Obviously, Jimbo has shown it's possible to be great at recruiting there, but it's by no means "turnkey" as dude was saying.

I know CP isn’t married to CU, but he isn’t leaving for a University where boosters stick their nose into coach business. The boosters at aTm would hate that CP would completely blow off their input. Not sure what LSU boosters are like, but if it’s anything like normal SEC programs then I don’t think it’s a fit for CP.

I think CP jumps to the SEC only if one of the programs is so down trodden that they are willing to hand him the keys, then step aside and stay out of the way. This isn’t the DNA of the SEC.
🐗

I really thought they had a chance to be a pretty good P5 program, they really messed up by parlaying their success with Fickell to hiring Satterfield.

Because 95% of coaches aren’t concerned with “low pressure” and KU had a fairly mediocre ceiling and will never pay what MSU can pay.
Other thing is I don't think this carousel will have a lot of openings.....I mean lets look at the SEC and Big 10 in particular. If Leipold wants into the Big 10, now might be the time to go.

Big 10-Northwestern's open right now, but they're 4-4 with winnable games against Purdue and Illinois left. David Braun's making a hell of a case for COY in the Big 10, and he's making it harder for the dumb****s who run that school to move on from him with every game. He doesn't have the stink of the hazing scandal on him because he got there in January, and that team has absolutely overachieved. If he doesn't get that gig, he'd make a hell of a replacement for Charles Kelly here. Michigan State is open. Indiana has to open at some point, but what else is there in that league? Iowa? Likely stays in house. If you add the four Pac teams who are joining that league......SC could open if an NFL owner is dumb enough to take a chance on Lincoln Riley right now.

In the SEC.....Arkansas? South Carolina?

Last edited:
Other thing is I don't think this carousel will have a lot of openings.....I mean lets look at the SEC and Big 10 in particular.

Big 10-Northwestern's open right now, but they're 4-4 with winnable games against Purdue and Illinois left. David Braun's making a hell of a case for COY in the Big 10, and he's making it harder for the dumb****s who run that school to move on from him with every game. He doesn't have the stink of the hazing scandal on him because he got there in January, and that team has absolutely overachieved. If he doesn't get that gig, he'd make a hell of a replacement for Charles Kelly here. Michigan State is open. Indiana has to open at some point, but what else is there in that league? Iowa? Likely stays in house.

In the SEC.....Arkansas? South Carolina?
True but there are always random jobs that open due to coaches going to NFL, retiring, surprising firings, etc.

I think there’s a real possibility that Michigan is open, along with USC. Could aTm get rid of Jimbo?

Then there’s the domino effect if a few bigger jobs open

True but there are always random jobs that open due to coaches going to NFL, retiring, surprising firings, etc.

I think there’s a real possibility that Michigan is open, along with USC. Could aTm get rid of Jimbo?

Then there’s the domino effect if a few bigger jobs open
Going 7-5 with the greatest college QB since Luck is a fireable offense in my view.

Riley's a ****ing fraud.

Back