What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 5 star recruit guaranteed $8mm in NIL

Heres the issue I see with some kind of super conference made up of the elites. These are all schools with big money, big boosters, and big expectations. Even a conference composed entirely of elite teams is going to stratify, leaving half winners and half losers. What is going to happen to Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma etc when they become perineal 2, 3 or 4 win teams in an elite conference? I don't think anybody is going to like that, and I don't think there will be anything (like in the NFL) that is going to create parity in the conference. For a lot of these schools, it is much more lucrative being a big fish in a small pond.

Not financially. And you have a chance if you're in the club. You don't if you aren't.

Schools like Texas and Michigan never consider the possibility that they won’t be able to compete with the big boys. I am of the belief that any conference needs doormats so the elite teams can feast. Alabama needs S Carolina and Vandy. OSU needs Rutgers and Nebraska (heh). That said, it’s pretty tempting to get paid three times what you’re getting and take your chances in a conference where everybody is elite.

Heres the issue I see with some kind of super conference made up of the elites. These are all schools with big money, big boosters, and big expectations. Even a conference composed entirely of elite teams is going to stratify, leaving half winners and half losers. What is going to happen to Texas, Michigan, Oklahoma etc when they become perineal 2, 3 or 4 win teams in an elite conference? I don't think anybody is going to like that, and I don't think there will be anything (like in the NFL) that is going to create parity in the conference. For a lot of these schools, it is much more lucrative being a big fish in a small pond.
Oddly, both perennial and perineal seem to work in this passage.

Texas won't be able to bully anyone around in the SEC like they've done the entire existence of the Big 12 and old SWC days. They also won't win like they want to until they fix the internal issues that exist. They don't need the money as their boosters can fund any shortfall.

This is a play for Texas to go to the biggest baddest league and in their minds continue carrying their big stick. That won't happen. I am sure they'll have some years of success, but it'll be mostly what we've seen the last 10-15 years.

Correct. Bama and Georgia need MSU and Vanderbilt. Ohio State and Michigan need Rutgers, Illinois and Nebraska. USC and Oregon need Colorado and Oregon State.

None of their ADs, coaches, alumni and fan wants to watch them go 9-3 and call that a great season.

Last edited:
Things are fine...

Unless something changes significantly those increased dollars will be mostly spent on trying to stay ahead of other schools. Coaches may be making $15-20 million a year, facilities continue to get bigger and much more expensive, teams fly in luxury custom team airliners, etc. etc.

Meanwhile booster are diverting millions to paying stars but since the other big money programs are also having their stars paid they still aren't getting ahead as much as maintaining the status quo.

End result is that while players make some money, star recruit make a lot of money, top coaches (and assistants) make a boatload of money, they schools end up not making more and in some cases even less.

I've mentioned before that I think the only way college football survives is with a major restructuring.

The top 30-40 schools who want to be in the big money game (it will start with more but the realities will force some to filter out) will be in the top tier, collect the biggest part of the national TV revenues, and most will still struggle to break even because of the arms race with paying coaches, players, facilities, etc. This group probably goes with it's own governing body leaving the NCAA for football. CU won't be in it.

The next tier will be most of the schools who were formerly P5 programs plus a few top G5 programs. This level will build in some cost controls limiting NIL, and potentially limiting coaching budgets and maybe even reducing scholarship numbers. They will still get some national TV money along with local or regional money since there are a lot of networks out there with programing slots to fill and most of these schools have enough loyal or at least interested fans (plus the gamblers) to generate audiences.

Below that you get a level with most of the former G5 plus the top of the current FCS. More cost controls, get by mostly on ticket revenue and donations.

Lower FCS joins current D2.

Having the upper division handing out money allows the others to limit their cost and benefits since they aren't a monopoly.

Schools and fans will initially try to make the argument that they have "always competed at the top level as is fitting for an institution like we are." but realistically the fans of most of those schools know that they haven't been "competing" at the top level of years and short a sugar daddy billionaire donor or two never will again.

Some schools may see some decline in fan interest but in general the idea that their team is actually competitive and games are fun again will be more appealing that watching them get their teeth kicked in by higher budget programs every week.

Basketball could see a similar shakeout or we could just see it made irrelevant by most of the top talents going directly to NBA development squads or to international leagues at more money than the NIL would be anyways.
Were headed towards 5 divisions from the current 4. The top division will be a made for TV super team division with the best of the B1G and SEC engineered by TV and featuring paid players and the best coaches that groom players for the the NFL. TV will set the schedule so that these games are on all day. USC even UCLA might get to be in this division because LA tv market.

CU will be in the division right below it.

Even though the NCAA has stated that the current NIL rules are temporary until Congress gets off their ass to create national laws that clearly define rules & regulations for NIL deals. From what I understand, there is bipartisan support in Congress to get this done but it's not very high on their priority list as Congress wants to see what the eventual fallout is after a season or two of collage sports. I somewhat doubt that Congress has the expertise to make new NIL laws that will level the playing field for all collages and at the same time keeping student athletes from signing gazillion dollar contracts.

Even though the NCAA has stated that the current NIL rules are temporary until Congress gets off their ass to create national laws that clearly define rules & regulations for NIL deals. From what I understand, there is bipartisan support in Congress to get this done but it's not very high on their priority list as Congress wants to see if they get any donations from the players and/or their agents after a season or two of collage sports. I somewhat doubt that Congress has the expertise to make new NIL laws that will level the playing field for all collages and at the same time keeping student athletes from signing gazillion dollar contracts.
FIFY

Back