What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Buffs Depth Chart Thread

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member
The national narrative seems to be that while CU has high level players like Shedeur and Travis, along with Horn, Weaver, McCaskill, Cormani, etc. the team has absolutely no depth to speak of, which will ultimately be their downfall. Felt like a good time to look at the two (or three) deep to see just how accurate that narrative is or isn't.

No official depth chart out yet, and I'm not entirely sure if Prime will put one out publicly much earlier than a couple days before 9/2. However, there's one from "ourlads.com" that seems pretty reasonable.

PosNo.Player 1NoPlayer 2NoPlayer 3NoPlayer 4NoPlayer 5
OFFENSE
WR-X12Hunter, Travis SO/TR4Antonio, Javon RS SR/TR7Ellis, Jaylen RS SR/TR28Waseem, Asaad FR
WR-Z10Weaver, Xavier JR/TR14Miller, Omarion FR18Hopkins, Adam FR13Mathis, Kaleb FR
WR-F5Horn Jr., Jimmy JR/TR20Gaines, Willie SR/TR6Dawson Jr., Tar'Varish RS SO/TR23Hardge, Isaiah FR
LT69Christian-Lichtenhan, Gerad JR77Harden, Kareem RS SO/TR57Connor, David FR/TR60Edwards, Carter RS FR
LG65Bailey, Jack RS SR/TR70Young, Reggie RS SR/TR56Brown, Tyler RS SR/TR
OC55Wells, Van SO58Zalinskis, Hank FR
RG73Bebee, Landon GR/TR50Wilty, Jack RS JR/TR
RT78Washington, Savion GR/TR51Jatta, Isaiah JR/TR72Reznik, Ben RS SO66McCrimmon, Jeremiah JR/TR
TE87Harrison, Michael RS JR83Yelverton, Elijah RS SO/TR88Fauria, Caleb RS SO89Passarello, Louis RS SO
QB2Sanders, Shedeur JR/TR13Culd, Gavin JR/TR16Staub, Ryan FR15Weisman, Kasen FR14Allen, Colton RS FR
RB22McCaskill IV, Alton RS SO/TR8Smoke, Kavosiey RS SR/TR3Edwards, Dylan FR22Hankerson, Anthony SO36Sy'veon Wilkerson TR/SO
FB
DEFENSE
EDGE44Domineck, Jordan GR/TR49Alston, Taijh GR/TR90Main, Chance GR/TR40Hawkins, JJ RS SO/TRMcCoy, Taje FR
NT95Thomas, Bishop RS FR/TR88McNeill, Amari RS SO/TR55Payne Jr., Leonard GR/TR
DT99Cokes, Shane GR/TR52Wallace, Chazz JR/TR50
EDGE9McLendon II, Derrick RS SR/TR13Smalls, Sav'ell RS JR/TR33Harris, Deeve RS SR/TR53Walker, Arden SO/TR41Manns, Khairi JR/TR
MLB22Kennedy, Demouy RS JR/TR42Brown, Jeremiah JR/TR32Kofi Taylor-Barrocks FR37Morgan Pearson FR58Noah Young, GR/TR
WLB20Bentley, LaVonta GR/TR25Ham, Marvin RS JR38Gant, Brendan RS SR/TR55Victory Johnson, FR
LCB12Hunter, Travis SO/TR10Breedlove, Kyndrich RS SO/TR27Robinson, Nehmier FR46Solomon, Isreal FR
SS43Woods, Trevor JR7Silmon-Craig, Cam'Ron JR/TR26Tisdale, Vito RS JR/TR28Finneseth, Ben SO
FS21Sanders, Shilo RS SR/TR29Ward, Rodrick RS SR/TR31Milliner-Jones, Jaden FR
RCB1McClain, Cormani FR3Cooper, Omarion JR/TR4Jay, Travis JR/TR
NB18Slusher, Myles SR/TR9Robinson, Jahquez RS JR/TR23Stoutmire, Carter FR

Last edited:
Offense
- WR - Might be one of the best and deepest WR groups in the conference.
- RB - You can maybe argue that there is some unknown when it comes to elite level talent with McCaskill's injury and Edwards being a True Freshman, but from all accounts McCaskill is going to be 100% on 9/2 and Edwards has seemingly lived up to his hype and more,so I see RB as a very good room.
- TE - Obviously TE is a question mark as we don't even know if we have a legit TE1, let alone depth.
- OL - Hard to judge the OL from an outsiders perspective, but when I look at the OL two deep, I see almost exclusively upper classmen and Grad Transfers who have either been in the Sean Lewis/BOB system or played a lot of ball in their careers. Nobody is seeing their first real FBS action this year, so it's hard for me to say the OL has depth concerns.
- QB - We have what we all expect to be a pretty elite guy at the top but complete youth and/or inexperience after that. This is probably the biggest area of depth concern on the team and is obviously the position they can least afford to lose.

Defense
- EDGE - This feels like the WR group of the defense. Some really good to great players at the top of the depth chart with a lot of experience, playing time, and production at the top, along with some highly rated transfers who couldn't quite break through at other programs.
- IDL - Probably the biggest concern for most, but all I see are 5 upper classmen with a lot of experience and talent with a RS FR transfer from Florida State that might be the best of the group. I actually don't see much of a concern here, tbh, as 6 guys who can play is more than most programs around the country have, even if other programs have more than 6 total on the roster.
- ILB - This is my biggest concern. Possibly an elite starting tandem, but major depth concerns after Kennedy and Bentley. Marvin Ham has received praise from Hart and is hopefully developing into a solid player, but Brendan Gant hasn't practiced yet from what I can tell and we haven't heard nearly anything about JB this camp.
- CB - This is probably my second biggest area of concern, tbh. Hunter is elite, and we think Cormani will eventually be elite, but Cooper seems to be kind of JAGy from what I can tell from the videos (he's routinely the guy getting cooked by Travis and Antonio) and I haven't heard a single thing about Breedlove. Robinson and Stoutmire also factor in here, along with potentially Slusher if needed, but I can see some depth concerns here.
- S - Along with Edge, probably the deepest position on the team. SO MUCH EXPERIENCE, and most of it is P5 experience. Like WR, this is an embarrassment of riches, IMO.

Is this analysis being done wearing B&G colored glasses or am I missing something with the national narrative that there are extreme depth issues on this team?

Biggest gripes with that depth chart:

- Harrison is our #1 TE now with Yelverton being #2. This spot looks like the spring depth chart.

- Wilty I believe is pretty much locked into RG from what I’ve seen. Bailey and Brown will be competing for LG.

- Amari McNeill is on the field a LOT next to Shane Cokes. I always use Cokes as an identifier for the defense to see who might be running with the 1s, or at least getting reps with them. Sounds like Payne has come on strong the last couple practices but I think Cokes/McNeill will be the starting 2 DL.

- In one of the earlier behind the scenes videos, they were praising all the techniques McLendon can play. He will be on the field a lot because of it imo, and this is where the multiple defense makes a depth chart kinda tricky. Because McLendon, Alston, and Domineck are on the field a lot together but it shows Alston as #2 backing up Domineck when DE/edge/OLB is really confusing at times lol.

Biggest gripes with that depth chart:

- Harrison is our #1 TE now with Yelverton being #2. This spot looks like the spring depth chart.

- Wilty I believe is pretty much locked into RG from what I’ve seen. Bailey and Brown will be competing for LG.

- Amari McNeill is on the field a LOT next to Shane Cokes. I always use Cokes as an identifier for the defense to see who might be running with the 1s, or at least getting reps with them. Sounds like Payne has come on strong the last couple practices but I think Cokes/McNeill will be the starting 2 DL.

- In one of the earlier behind the scenes videos, they were praising all the techniques McLendon can play. He will be on the field a lot because of it imo, and this is where the multiple defense makes a depth chart kinda tricky. Because McLendon, Alston, and Domineck are on the field a lot together but it shows Alston as #2 backing up Domineck when DE/edge/OLB is really confusing at times lol.
I should have mentioned that I had to move Harrison to TE and I forgot to remove Olsen. Also had to add Arden Walker to the Edge group. There are definitely some omissions and inaccuracies, but I felt like it was a decent reflection of what we've seen so far.

Yesterday DNVR said in their podcast that the ILB is so deep that you can play any linebackers there and there is hardly any performance drop. Keep in mind that this is from the biggest Sunshine Pumper (Uncle Neely) so take it with a grain of salt.
Is there someone I'm forgetting at that position? I get that Marvin Ham has supposedly looked good, but I haven't heard anything about Brown and from what they said last week, Gant has been dealing with getting medically cleared.

Is there someone I'm forgetting at that position? I get that Marvin Ham has supposedly looked good, but I haven't heard anything about Brown and from what they said last week, Gant has been dealing with getting medically cleared.
I think that's the 4 they are talking about. Neely basically believe those 4 are playing at similar level right now. It's possible that the lack of presence (in the video) from JB is not due to his performance, and we know coach loves Ham. But again, I would take anything from Uncle Neely with a grain of salt.

I expect to see Kennedy and 3 safeties on the field more often than 2 safeties and 2 ILBs.

Just looked on the roster and Kofi Taylor-Barrocks, Morgan Pearson, Victory Johnson and Noah Young are all guys who were left off, so I just added them.

Regarding CB, I have similar concern. I think Robinson and Cooper are serviceable, I am not sure if they are "lockdown" corner. If Cormani takes time to be ready, we might have one lockdown corner and a bunch of serviceable guys. Not bad at all, but considering the number is low there, definitely something to watch IMO.

I don't have same concern regarding the IDL as some people here. I might if Pac12 is full of Utah, but it's not.

- RB - You can maybe argue that there is some unknown when it comes to elite level talent with McCaskill's injury and Edwards being a True Freshman, but from all accounts McCaskill is going to be 100% on 9/2 and Edwards has seemingly lived up to his hype and more,so I see RB as a very good room.

Defense

- IDL - Probably the biggest concern for most, but all I see are 5 upper classmen with a lot of experience and talent with a RS FR transfer from Florida State that might be the best of the group. I actually don't see much of a concern here, tbh, as 6 guys who can play is more than most programs around the country have, even if other programs have more than 6 total on the roster.
- ILB - This is my biggest concern. Possibly an elite starting tandem, but major depth concerns after Kennedy and Bentley. Marvin Ham has received praise from Hart and is hopefully developing into a solid player, but Brendan Gant hasn't practiced yet from what I can tell and we haven't heard nearly anything about JB this camp.
- CB - This is probably my second biggest area of concern, tbh. Hunter is elite, and we think Cormani will eventually be elite, but Cooper seems to be kind of JAGy from what I can tell from the videos (he's routinely the guy getting cooked by Travis and Antonio) and I haven't heard a single thing about Breedlove. Robinson and Stoutmire also factor in here, along with potentially Slusher if needed, but I can see some depth concerns here.
- S - Along with Edge, probably the deepest position on the team. SO MUCH EXPERIENCE, and most of it is P5 experience. Like WR, this is an embarrassment of riches, IMO.

Is this analysis being done wearing B&G colored glasses or am I missing something with the national narrative that there are extreme depth issues on this team?
Awesome eval Yak.

Had we simply improved our RB room with Smoke and Wilkerson we all would be pretty optimistic about the foursome of Smoke, Wilk, Hank, and Charlie. Adding the top RB transfer in McCaskill and top 100 in Edwards makes this group one of the best we have seen.

Totally agree with DTs, although depth could become a concern, the guys we have seen are dogs. Bishop, McNeill, and Cokes have been killing it in camp.

I'm a little less concerned with DBs as our WR group and Qb is Elite, and I guess I am optimistic that the whole Iron Sharpening Iron idiom will lead to competitive Dbs come gameday.

Awesome eval Yak.

Had we simply improved our RB room with Smoke and Wilkerson we all would be pretty optimistic about the foursome of Smoke, Wilk, Hank, and Charlie. Adding the top RB transfer in McCaskill and top 100 in Edwards makes this group one of the best we have seen.

Totally agree with DTs, although depth could become a concern, the guys we have seen are dogs. Bishop, McNeill, and Cokes have been killing it in camp.

I'm a little less concerned with DBs as our WR group and Qb is Elite, and I guess I am optimistic that the whole Iron Sharpening Iron idiom will lead to competitive Dbs come gameday.
Completely forgot about Wilkerson at RB. That room is pretty well set

Everything that I've seen is Hankerson and Edwards are 1a/1b. Smoke is goaline and Alton is still in recovery?!

The national narrative seems to be that while CU has high level players like Shedeur and Travis, along with Horn, Weaver, McCaskill, Cormani, etc. the team has absolutely no depth to speak of, which will ultimately be their downfall. Felt like a good time to look at the two (or three) deep to see just how accurate that narrative is or isn't.

No official depth chart out yet, and I'm not entirely sure if Prime will put one out publicly much earlier than a couple days before 9/2. However, there's one from "ourlads.com" that seems pretty reasonable.

PosNo.Player 1NoPlayer 2NoPlayer 3NoPlayer 4NoPlayer 5
OFFENSE
WR-X12Hunter, Travis SO/TR0Antonio, Javon RS SR/TR0Ellis, Jaylen RS SR/TR0Waseem, Asaad FR0
WR-Z0Weaver, Xavier JR/TR0Hopkins, Adam FR0Miller, Omarion FR13Mathis, Kaleb FR0
WR-F5Horn Jr., Jimmy JR/TR0Gaines, Willie SR/TR0Dawson Jr., Tar'Varish RS SO/TR00
LT0Christian-Lichtenhan, Gerad JR0Harden, Kareem RS SO/TR
LG0Brown, Tyler RS SR/TR0Young, Reggie RS SR/TR
OC0Wells, Van SO0Bebee, Landon GR/TR
RG0Bailey, Jack RS SR/TR0Wilty, Jack RS JR/TR0Eckhardt, Luke RS SO/TR
RT0Washington, Savion GR/TR0Jatta, Isaiah JR/TR0Reznik, Ben RS SO
TE89Passarello, Louis RS SO0Yelverton, Elijah RS SO/TR0Olsen, Erik RS SO0Fauria, Caleb RS SOHarrison, Michael RS JR
QB0Sanders, Shedeur JR/TR0Staub, Ryan FR0Weisman, Kasen FR0Allen, Colton RS FR
RB0McCaskill IV, Alton RS SO/TR0Smoke, Kavosiey RS SR/TR0Edwards, Dylan FR0Hankerson, Anthony SO0Sy'veon Wilkerson TR/SO
FB0Johnson, Champion RS SO/TR
DEFENSE
EDGE44Domineck, Jordan GR/TR0Alston, Taijh GR/TR0Main, Chance GR/TR0McCoy, Taje FR
NT0Payne Jr., Leonard GR/TR0Thomas, Bishop RS FR/TR0McNeill, Amari RS SO/TR
DT99Cokes, Shane GR/TR0Wallace, Chazz JR/TR0Hawkins, JJ RS SO/TR
EDGE0McLendon II, Derrick RS SR/TR0Smalls, Sav'ell RS JR/TR0Harris, Deeve RS SR/TRWalker, Arden SO/TR
MLB0Kennedy, Demouy RS JR/TR0Brown, Jeremiah JR/TR29Kofi Taylor-Barrocks FRMorgan Pearson FRNoah Young, GR/TR
WLB20Bentley, LaVonta GR/TR0Gant, Brendan RS SR/TR13Ham, Marvin RS JR0Victory Johnson, FR
LCB12Hunter, Travis SO/TR0Breedlove, Kyndrich RS SO/TR0Keith, Braden RS FR
SS43Woods, Trevor JR7Silmon-Craig, Cam'Ron JR/TR0Tisdale, Vito RS JR/TR
FS0Sanders, Shilo RS SR/TR0Ward, Rodrick RS SR/TR0Jay, Travis RS JR/TR
RCB0McClain, Cormani FR0Cooper, Omarion JR/TR0McGannon, Liam RS FR
NB0Slusher, Myles SR/TR0Robinson, Jahquez RS JR/TR0Stoutmire, Carter FR

Missing several guys it looks like. Also has some guys on there that aren't with the program any more. When did this come out?

I should have mentioned that I had to move Harrison to TE and I forgot to remove Olsen. Also had to add Arden Walker to the Edge group. There are definitely some omissions and inaccuracies, but I felt like it was a decent reflection of what we've seen so far.
The fact that Arden Walker and Khairi Manns might be 4th string tells you everything you need to know about our EDGE talent.

Also, on Cooper and Breedlove...that's a guy with several starts and decent numbers at FSU and guy who was skated to start for a talented Ole Miss team before injury last year.

Not sure when it was updated but I realize the same as you. Post which players are missing or gone and I can update it a bit later
Guys that are no longer here

FB- Champion Johnson
OG- Luke Eckardt
TE- Olsen

Not listed

OG- McCrimmon
QB- Kuld
SS- Milliner Jones (I hear great things)
OT- Conner

I'm guessing some of the guys were left off because a redshirt is expected, so I didn't list some of the other guys you left off since Conner is likely not playing this year.

Guys that are no longer here

FB- Champion Johnson
OG- Luke Eckardt
TE- Olsen

Not listed

OG- McCrimmon
QB- Kuld
SS- Milliner Jones (I hear great things)
OT- Conner

I'm guessing some of the guys were left off because a redshirt is expected, so I didn't list some of the other guys you left off since Conner is likely not playing this year.
Didn't realize Champion Johnson left. Is Victory still there?

Here is their Defensive depth chart. I think they are wrong about Cormani. I believe Cooper will start.

I'm also not sure about Alston either. I know Nick Williams was complimentary the other day and I'm pretty sure that's what their basing this on. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being Smalls.

A couple weeks ago, I would have asked if Woods was fast enough to be the free safety on this team. After seeing he ran a 4.4 I’m not concerned about it. Such a big Trevor Woods fan with him staying and putting in the work to potentially start on a completely revamped and upgraded team

OL looks a little thin but as mentioned a lot of maturity there. Guys who are physically developed and won't be overmatched are much less likely to get injured.

QB is the biggest question behind Shedeur but realistically most college teams are in trouble if QB1 goes down.

Interior DL is also a concern but again physically and mentally mature guys at the top of the chart less likely to get hurt.

A couple weeks ago, I would have asked if Woods was fast enough to be the free safety on this team. After seeing he ran a 4.4 I’m not concerned about it. Such a big Trevor Woods fan with him staying and putting in the work to potentially start on a completely revamped and upgraded team
That opened my eyes as well. At the very least he is safety #1 on obvious running downs. I think he'll play a big role in the Nebraska game.

Updated the OP with everyone Medford mentioned plus a few others that were missing, along with numbers. I went off the positions that the CU roster has each player listed. Ex would be McCrimmon and Carter Edwards are probably Guards but the site has them listed as OTs. Same with a handful of the DE/EDGE/DT types like Hawkins, Main, Wallace, etc.

The projected starters mirror the DNVR projections except for I put McClendon over Alston at EDGE because I feel like McClendon will be out there for the first snap against TCU.

Back