What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Women's Basketball off-season thread

It makes me so happy for Shelley Sheetz to be an assistant coach for CU. Back in the day that was her dream and the dream of her parents. It's been a long time coming.

She was allowed to have meetings and go over video with the players. Somehow that isn't considered coaching.

I saw the point guards who came out of games go sit by her and out came her clipboard. I think that is coaching.

On the court coaching is much more effective.

I also have very high hopes for this season.

#IsItNovemberYet

It makes me so happy for Shelley Sheetz to be an assistant coach for CU. Back in the day that was her dream and the dream of her parents. It's been a long time coming.

She was allowed to have meetings and go over video with the players. Somehow that isn't considered coaching.

I saw the point guards who came out of games go sit by her and out came her clipboard. I think that is coaching.

On the court coaching is much more effective.

I also have very high hopes for this season.

#IsItNovemberYet
I approve of this post 100%!

CU is picked to finish 4th in the Pac. I am positive that is the highest we have ever been picked that high.

Utah is picked to finish 1st.
It’s gonna be a fun season. This is the best team we’ve had in a long time. Sherrod in a way reminds me of Coach Prime- she’s just got a confidence and energy about her. Anyone else agree? And Quay and Frida are going to be fun to watch. Excited to see Vonleigh make a big statement in the Pac 12. I think we could finish in 1st. Kinda nice to be picked 4th- but I have a feeling this team is not gonna to settle for that.

I also think the Buffs could win the conference. This is the best team Colorado has had in many, many years on paper. The photo with Frida hugging the championship trophy. I so hope in March that is in the Buffs trophy case.

I went off when JR was getting peppered with questions about the football coach.

That had no place at the WBB Media Day. JR has built this program from the bottom up and this team has nothing to do with the football coach. The official WBB account liked my rant on Instagram as did a couple of former players.

This program stands on it's own.

Beat LSU!

I also think the Buffs could win the conference. This is the best team Colorado has had in many, many years on paper. The photo with Frida hugging the championship trophy. I so hope in March that is in the Buffs trophy case.

I went off when JR was getting peppered with questions about the football coach.

That had no place at the WBB Media Day. JR has built this program from the bottom up and this team has nothing to do with the football coach. The official WBB account liked my rant on Instagram as did a couple of former players.

This program stands on it's own.

Beat LSU!
Yeah. I could see a question or two along the lines of "What impact has the media spotlight on CU football had for your program?" or "Coach Prime's daughter joined your program as a walk-on and you seem to have a good relationship with the family. How has this been a positive for CU WBB?".

In a way, it's good for WBB because if it leads to articles which mention CP in the headline then it will get orders of magnitude more clicks. JR would have to love that since it's positive PR. But it needs to be a side story for clickbait, not the focus of a media day about a program with goals of winning the Pac-12 and making a deep tourney run.

Didn't listen/watch the JR's press conference, but if there were a lot of questions about Coach Prime from the press that's disrespectful at the least. And very disappointing.

With the LSU game less than a month away here are some thoughts on the team -

I agree with The Athletic article that the starters will be:

1- Jaylyn Sherrod
2- Maddie Nolan
3- Frida Formann
4- Quay Miller
5- Aaronette Vonleh

The starters bring a lot of experience and talent.

Key players off the bench? This is a bit harder to figure beyond one or two players. At the beginning of the season it will likely be:

Kindyll Wetta/Tameiya Sadler
Sara-Rose Smith
Brianna McLoud/Charlotte Whittaker

In tight games we're probably going to see only 8 or 9 so not all the players on the above list get into the game. Sara-Rose Smith sound like she is good around the basket and will likely come off the bench to give a forward a break. She doesn't appear to have a good perimeter game, but is a rebounder and good around the rim. McCloud and/or Whittaker will be the ones to give Vonleh a break.

For the Buffs to make a run at the regular and/or post season Pac-12 title these are the some of the things that need to happen:

• Improved 3 point shooting - they need to get more players contributing consistently from the perimeter beyond Formann and Miller. And Miller needs to get her mojo back. She struggled from scoring at the end of the regular season through the post season. If she is confident with her shot all season it will go a long in making the offense more eefficient. Looks like Maddie Nolan is a solid 3 point shooter which could be a big factor.

• Vonleh being more consistent in the 5-12 foot range. She became deadly at the rim last season but struggled to hit open mid-range jumpers. If she is able to do so it will give others open looks. Also, she needs to improve her free through percentage.

• Become more eefficient in the final 12-10 seconds of the shot clock. This was the team's Achille's heal last season. The offense devolved into one v one by Sherrod and there didn't seem to be a lot of movement/team action. Hopefully there will be better movement off the ball this season.

With the LSU game less than a month away here are some thoughts on the team -

I agree with The Athletic article that the starters will be:

1- Jaylyn Sherrod
2- Maddie Nolan
3- Frida Formann
4- Quay Miller
5- Aaronette Vonleh

The starters bring a lot of experience and talent.

Key players off the bench? This is a bit harder to figure beyond one or two players. At the beginning of the season it will likely be:

Kindyll Wetta/Tameiya Sadler
Sara-Rose Smith
Brianna McLoud/Charlotte Whittaker

In tight games we're probably going to see only 8 or 9 so not all the players on the above list get into the game. Sara-Rose Smith sound like she is good around the basket and will likely come off the bench to give a forward a break. She doesn't appear to have a good perimeter game, but is a rebounder and good around the rim. McCloud and/or Whittaker will be the ones to give Vonleh a break.

For the Buffs to make a run at the regular and/or post season Pac-12 title these are the some of the things that need to happen:

• Improved 3 point shooting - they need to get more players contributing consistently from the perimeter beyond Formann and Miller. And Miller needs to get her mojo back. She struggled from scoring at the end of the regular season through the post season. If she is confident with her shot all season it will go a long in making the offense more eefficient. Looks like Maddie Nolan is a solid 3 point shooter which could be a big factor.

• Vonleh being more consistent in the 5-12 foot range. She became deadly at the rim last season but struggled to hit open mid-range jumpers. If she is able to do so it will give others open looks. Also, she needs to improve her free through percentage.

• Become more eefficient in the final 12-10 seconds of the shot clock. This was the team's Achille's heal last season. The offense devolved into one v one by Sherrod and there didn't seem to be a lot of movement/team action. Hopefully there will be better movement off the ball this season.
If so, Nolan’s going to have to be quite the player to take significant minutes away from Wetta. Also, I’m very curious about the high level commits that JR alluded to in the presser. She seemed very psyched up about them. This program looks to be improving even further. So cool….

Last edited:
If so, Nolan’s going to have to be quite the player to take significant minutes away from Wetta. Also, I’m very curious about the high level commits that JR alluded to in the presser. She seemed very psyched up about them. This program looks to be improving even further. So cool….
It's only speculation on my part, but here is why I feel Nolan starts rather than Wetta:
• Nolan has a lot of experience and comes from a good program (Michigan) where she started last season for an NCAA tourney team. She looks to be a shooting guard rather than a point guard. Last season as a starter she was 65-190 for .342 from 3 point range. Additionally, JR has stated she is a good defender.

• Wetta is more of a point guard than a shooting guard (I know know she played with Sherrod at times last season, but both are point guards.) Despite hitting some key threes, she is a reluctant perimeter shooter and I firmly believe that Buffs need dependable three point shooters beyond Miller and Formann. Last season she was 14-37 for .378. A good %, but low volume. My guess is that she and Sadler are key players off the bench when Sherrod and Nolan need a break.

As for the recruits JR mentioned in her press conference, CU did receive a commitment yesterday which you can find in the recruiting thread.

Back