What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Women's Basketball off-season thread

I had a little time, so did a little analysis using the 2022/23 season NET rankings (https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings) to see what the women's team might be looking at in the Big 12. A few notes:

• Just using the current conference affiliations of teams, the Pac 12 teams have the lowest average NET in the NCAA with a 40.3, while the Big 12 is 4th with a 49.5 average. (Looks like overall, WBB had much more parity overall among the P5 conferences than MBB. Based on a Pat Rooney tweet, the Big 12 had the lowest average NET in MBB at 30.2 last season, while the Pac 12 was WAY down with a 97.4 average. In WBB, the worst average NET among the P5 was the Big 10 at 59.)

• Going forward, it looks like the main thing needed to keep the Big 12 strong will be for the 4 other new schools to use their increased funding*** to up their programs as they, along with Texas and Oklahoma leaving, drop the adjusted Big 12 average way down to an average NET of 76 (even with the Buffs' 20 NET added in). (While most of the 4 new schools have been, at minimum, solid in men's hoops (average NET of 53.5 last season), they didn't do nearly as well in WBB, at least in 2022/23, with their NET rankings ending up at 72 (Houston), 105 (BYU), 148 (UCF) and 195 (Cincinnati).)

• *** It looks like/ I assume all of the other incoming 4 schools are getting good funding bumps starting this year, but it looks like it won't be until 2025 where they get the full ($31.7M/yr.) core media funding I've heard mentioned when CU voted to join for the base media contract. (They say overall anticipated revenue including add-ins will be $50M/yr. for them starting in 2025.. At least per an article I found from last year when their joining the Big 12 was announced ( https://www.blackandgoldbanneret.co...eement-espn-fox-brett-yormark-ucf-realignment), they will receive $18 million this year and $19 million this year from the base media deal before they get full media shares beginning in 2025.)

• When I move Colorado, USC and UCLA to their new conferences, the NET rankings for 2023 would make the top 3 conferences VERY close, with the Pac 12 moving from 1st to 3rd, but all 3 (ACC, SEC and Pac 12) at the top would all have an average NET ranking that rounds to 45.

Are they selling a Women's Sports Pass this year for WBB/VB/SOC? I see it on the CU site as a thing but there's nothing to put in the cart and no date listed.

I assume @Buffnik may have already gotten answers to this for himself since his post is a few weeks old, but since I was on the line with the ticket office today, thought I'd post what I learned about the women's sports pass:

• It is for sale now. (Sounds like they had a little computer oops where it wasn't allowing anyone to buy if they were logged into their Buff ticket account, but after I asked they went in and fixed that so that I now see it available for purchase even when logged into my account.)
  • It's not a big difference in costs between buying individual season tickets for the 3 sports, but sounds like buying the women's sports pass saves ~$30-$40 over buying individual general admission season tickets for soccer, volleyball and WBB. (The pass itself is $200 plus $15 ordering charge. Conversely, buying individual season tickets looks to have a total cost of ~$247, with the individual season tickets themselves costing ~$227 plus $20 ordering charge (or $30 charge if buying soccer and volleyball season tickets at a different time).)
  • Of course, if one wants to buy reserved seats for volleyball or WBB and/ or premium section tickets for soccer, the sports pass is not an option since it only provides general admission tickets for all sports.

The Iowa WBB team is officially sold out for the season. Could be the final season for Caitlin Clark and they don't want to miss it.

JR tweeted (or is it X;d) that CU is still looking for a non-conference game for the upcoming season. So non-conference schedule won't be out until that happens.

Non-Conference schedule is out. Like the men's team, all the challenging games are at neutral sites. Only that will give us a sense of this season's team is home Oklahoma State on Nov. 12.

Link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/25/womens-basketball-pac-12-announces-weekend-pairings.aspx

"
SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 conference released its weekly matchups and site designations for the league's 2023-24 women's basketball season on Monday.

The announcement includes the home/away designations each week of the Pac-12 regular season. Specific dates and times for these games will be released later this fall after the league's television partners have finalized their selections.

The only specific dates announced are the conference's designated rivalry dates, pinning Colorado against Utah on Dec. 30 at the CU Events Center to start the Pac-12 season.

The weekend of Jan. 5-7 marks the start of the remainder of the 18-game regular season. The Buffaloes are slated to be on the road to start the 2024 calendar year, going down to Arizona and Arizona State.

CU's first home contests will be Jan. 12-14 against California and Stanford. The Buffs will stay at home the following week, completing the four-game homestand against UCLA and USC (Jan. 19-12).

The Buffs then hit the road for a four-game road swing, headed to Oregon and Oregon State (Jan. 26-28) and Washington and Washington State (Feb. 2-4).

The Ducks and Beavers will make the return trip to Boulder (Feb. 9-11) to start the second time through the schedule. CU will then make its visit to Utah the following week (Feb. 16-18).

The season's final two weeks have CU jetting off to Los Angeles to take on the Bruins and Trojans (Feb. 23-25), before closing out the regular season at home against Washington and Washington State (Feb. 29-Mar. 2).

The 2024 Pac-12 Women's Basketball Tournament will once again be in Las Vegas, March 6-10.

Colorado women's basketball season tickets are on sale now and can be purchased online at CUBuffs.com/tickets or by calling 303-49BUFFS.

Pac-12 Women's Basketball 2022-23 Conference Matchups
December

Washington at Washington State - Dec. 10
Arizona at Arizona State - Dec. 17
USC at UCLA - Dec. 17
Stanford at California - Dec. 29
Utah at Colorado - Dec. 30
Oregon at Oregon State - Dec. 31

Weekend of Jan. 5-7
Colorado/Utah at Arizona/Arizona State

Washington/Washington State at California/Stanford
Oregon/Oregon State at USC/UCLA

Weekend of Jan. 12-14
Arizona/Arizona State at Oregon/Oregon State
California/Stanford at Utah/Colorado
UCLA at USC
Washington State at Washington

Weekend of Jan. 19-21
Arizona/Arizona State at Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State at California/Stanford
Colorado/Utah at UCLA/USC

Weekend of Jan. 26-28

California/Stanford at Arizona/Arizona State
Washington/Washington State at UCLA/USC
Colorado/Utah at Oregon/Oregon State

Weekend of Feb. 2-4

Arizona State at Arizona
UCLA/USC at California/Stanford
Colorado/Utah at Washington/Washington State
Oregon State at Oregon

Weekend of Feb. 9-11
Arizona/Arizona State at UCLA/USC
California/Stanford at Washington/Washington State
Oregon/Oregon State at Colorado/Utah

Weekend of Feb. 16-18

Washington/Washington State at Arizona/Arizona State
California at Stanford
UCLA/USC at Oregon/Oregon State
Colorado at Utah

Weekend of Feb. 23-25

Arizona/Arizona State at California/Stanford
Colorado/Utah at UCLA/USC
Oregon/Oregon State at Washington/Washington State

Weekend of Feb. 29 - Mar. 2
UCLA/USC at Arizona/Arizona State
California/Stanford at Oregon/Oregon State
Washington/Washington State at Colorado/Utah
"

Frida! Quay! Two great representatives of the team.

Can Frida qualify for a Covid year?

Congrats to Coaches Hower and Sheetz!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/10/5/womens-basketball-hower-sheetz-elevated-to-assistant-coaches.aspx

"

Links​

BOULDER – Colorado women's basketball staff members Matt Hower and Shelley Sheetz have been promoted to assistant coaches, Buffaloes' head coach JR Payne announced on Thursday.

In January, the NCAA Division I Council voted forward a proposal to increase the number of allowable coaches in men's and women's basketball from three to five which was subsequently approved by the Division I Board of Directors. The updated rule allows for two more coaches to engage in coaching activities and provide skill instruction on the court. The additions are still not allowed to recruit off campus as that number remains at four with the head coach and three assistants.

The rule officially went into effect on July 1 for the 2023-24 academic year.

"We are really excited to have Matt and Shelley back on the court coaching," Payne stated. "They both have so much to offer from a basketball knowledge standpoint. Both Matt and Shelley have many years of coaching experience and it will be great for our team to be able to utilize them as a resource both on the court and in the film room."

Coach Hower and Coach Sheetz will maintain the bulk of their current duties with the program, but the change allows them to be active with the players in a coaching role.

Hower joined the Buffs in December of 2021, serving as the team's Director of Basketball Operations. He came to CU from Fort Collins High School, where he was head coach of the Labmkins' girls varsity team. Hower also helped develop some of the top basketball players in northern Colorado, serving as the head coach of the State 38 U17 Elite in 2020.

Hower's coaching resume also includes time spent with USA Basketball, working with the U19 men's and women's team training camps. He also served as a varsity assistant for the Fort Collins boy's basketball team and was the JV head coach from 2012-16.

Sheetz returned to Boulder in the 2022-23 season, filling the role of Director of Player Development. The CU Hall of Famer remains second in school history in steals (287), third in assists (514), fourth in free throws made (425), eighth in free throw attempts (501) and second in 3FGM (252).

Sheetz's last coaching role was as an assistant at the University of Denver (2020-21). She has also been an assistant at Loyola-Maryland (2017-20), Boston College (2012-15), Denver (2008-12), Pepperdine (2005-08), San Diego (2001-05) and Washington State (1999-00).

The Buffaloes are well into preparation for the 2023-24 season.

Colorado will have an exhibition at home against Adams State on Oct. 28, before heading off to Las Vegas to take on defending national champion LSU (Nov. 6). CU's home opener will be against Le Moyne on Nov. 8.
"

I really love the coaching staff of our WBB program, and elevating Shelley Sheetz to Assistant Coach is the cherry on top. Very cool to have a Buff legend on the sideline. This is going to be a very fun and exciting team to follow this season; I hope they can build on the success from last season and really make a run this year. When was the last time our squad looked this good on paper? GO BUFFS!!!

Back