What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

In a Kardboard world, Cooper would have been one of the top 2-3 players on the roster. Under CP, he was recruited over. Nothing surprises me in the portal (I guess if Travis or #2 were to jump in I would be shocked) but this is the norm. It is an opportunity to go play (start) elsewhere and/or go get paid more.

This system is not sustainable and sends the wrong message to young kids - run away until you get what you want vs thinking things through, improving and helping be a part of the bigger picture.

In a Kardboard world, Cooper would have been one of the top 2-3 players on the roster. Under CP, he was recruited over. Nothing surprises me in the portal (I guess if Travis or #2 were to jump in I would be shocked) but this is the norm. It is an opportunity to go play (start) elsewhere and/or go get paid more.

This system is not sustainable and sends the wrong message to young kids - run away until you get what you want vs thinking things through, improving and helping be a part of the bigger picture.
I think there's a lot of good lessons to be had in kids being able to find a better opportunity.

The fact is, a significant number of professional and personal relationships will be misaligned in terms of goals, needs, and mutual value.

I don't buy this sort of accepted wisdom that most portal entries are players running away from difficulty. Sometimes the hardest, and smartest thing to do is walk away from a situation and start fresh with a better fit.

I think there's a lot of good lessons to be had in kids being able to find a better opportunity.

The fact is, a significant number of professional and personal relationships will be misaligned in terms of goals, needs, and mutual value.

I don't buy this sort of accepted wisdom that most portal entries are players running away from difficulty. Sometimes the hardest, and smartest thing to do is walk away from a situation and start fresh with a better fit.
I think most portal entries are either encouraged by coaches, or players running away from sitting on the bench or not being a full time player. Whether you consider that “difficulty” is up for debate.

The unintended consequences of players getting almost all the power is that coaches are actively seeking to recruit over/move on from 80% of them every year just like the NFL.

NIL and free unlimited transfers were the best things to happen to blue chip HS recruits and proven stud players, but it’s ****ing over the rest of the players.

I think most portal entries are either encouraged by coaches, or players running away from sitting on the bench or not being a full time player. Whether you consider that “difficulty” is up for debate.

The unintended consequences of players getting almost all the power is that coaches are actively seeking to recruit over/move on from 80% of them every year just like the NFL.

NIL and free unlimited transfers were the best things to happen to blue chip HS recruits and proven stud players, but it’s ****ing over the rest of the players.
The thing that doesn't get mentioned enough is that players talk to one another. So a guy hears that someone else on another team who has the same or lesser role is making more money so starts getting word out that he's on the market.

Who did we bring in to play over Cooper?

I don't know what went on with Bishop, but he's got a ton of talent. Be a shame to see him waste it.

I hate to see these young guys leave with some untapped potential, but College Football has just changed. The young guys are not patient, there are normal growing pains with being away from home, and the depth chart is less certain. Chip Kelly was asked why UCLA's defense got much better during his tenure. His answer was first props to my defensive coaches, but let's just face it, we got much older, we were playing older guys.

With this portal, for any player the depth chart situation is so fluid. One day you are #3 or #2 on good path to see the field, the next you are #3-#4s and there seems to be no light in the playing time tunnel. Special teams maybe. As this thing sorts out, hopefully it will get a bit better (i.e. players may be more patient) and ready to just compete. The patience part for younger players is understanding the benefits of growing, maturing, and competing hard while avoiding injury. In any sport, you get better by playing with higher competition all the way around.

I hate to see these young guys leave with some untapped potential, but College Football has just changed. The young guys are not patient, there are normal growing pains with being away from home, and the depth chart is less certain. Chip Kelly was asked why UCLA's defense got much better during his tenure. His answer was first props to my defensive coaches, but let's just face it, we got much older, we were playing older guys.

With this portal, for any player the depth chart situation is so fluid. One day you are #3 or #2 on good path to see the field, the next you are #3-#4s and there seems to be no light in the playing time tunnel. Special teams maybe. As this thing sorts out, hopefully it will get a bit better (i.e. players may be more patient) and ready to just compete. The patience part for younger players is understanding the benefits of growing, maturing, and competing hard while avoiding injury. In any sport, you get better by playing with higher competition all the way around.
Dude got kicked off the team...

Dude got kicked off the team...

Agree, sounds like it... again patience, maturity and growth. I'm sure not the only guy booted by Prime. Attrition has been a huge part of college football forever, the portal has just enhanced that making it even firmer and faster.

Amazingly we’ve put together a TE group with a combined 14 seasons on college rosters and a combined ZERO career catches.

Meanwhile Michael Harrison had 32 catches and 5 TDs last season and chose to leave after he was inexplicably never put on scholarship.
They aren't interested in a big time pass catching TE. Harrison couldn't block or play with his hand in the dirt. Was a major liability on the field in any capacity that wasn't split out in the slot running routes, and we have 10 WRs who do that better than him at this point.

They aren't interested in a big time pass catching TE. Harrison couldn't block or play with his hand in the dirt. Was a major liability on the field in any capacity that wasn't split out in the slot running routes, and we have 10 WRs who do that better than him at this point.
Exactly. If your TE can't block, you're better off putting a WR on the field to get a better receiver on the field.

Back