What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2024 Transfer Portal News - Please Respect My Decision

That’s two out of the three expected today. Who’s the last one? Hayden?

Today's gets:

1. Dayon Hayes from Pitt, DL. Rivals has him #103 overall, 4* from Pitt.

2. Kirkland, OT Texas is young but looks like a really good pickup compared to Sav Washington (#571 overall). Rivals has him #228 overall.

3. Dline Ryann Buell from Ohio, Bobcats. 247 has him 4* 177 overall, and #18 DL. Rivals has him #238 overall.

Hayden may still be a possibility. There are a bunch of good RB's out there.

I know Herring is a prime target at LB, #17 Overall. I wonder if Hayes & Okaluna's Pitt teammate Soloman Deshields is another possibility--Rivals has him #129 overall, 4*. He was Pitt's #1 LB in tackles last year. He had 5 or more tackles in 7 of their games.

It looks like Prime had some guys in waiting.

IMO, with the huge # of players in the portal, at this point if the Buffs land a player in the Top 450 (that would be top 1/5 of transfer portal) in either Rivals, 247 or On3 Composite the Buffs are getting a pretty darn good player with solid playing potential or upside if younger. Between the 3 ratings systems we are going to be 20+ guys that meet that threshold. I sort of use McKinney as a baseline and he is right around 400. There may be a miss here and there like Metayer, however it is much higher rated class overall than last seasons transfer haul. I believe our scouting room is bigger, better and more established, and the Prime hype train his having more impact.

An odd one is TE Sam Hart who transferring home from Ohio State: Rivals has him #418, 247 has him way lower like 1000, On3 Composite: #493. The bottom line is he appears verified at 6'5", 255 and not injured. Not a ton of experience but a grad transfer from a solid program. Except for Pass (hurt all season), we did not have a guy that size in our TE room last year. I'm feeling better with the good news today. I think we will get our LBs, maybe another TE if a good one becomes available, and an RB.

Last edited:
SIAP, ESPN put out a list yesterday of the top 40 transfers and the buffs are involved with a bunch of them:

3. Dayon Hayes, DL​

Transferring from: Pittsburgh | Tranferring to: Colorado

HT: 6-3 | WT: 265 | Class: Senior

Background: Hayes was one of the most disruptive front-seven defenders in the ACC last season, utilizing a high motor and athletic skill set off the edge to pressure the quarterback. He carried his weight well in high school and continued to add bulk and strength at Pitt while retaining his good upfield burst and lateral quickness. That speed-to-power combo led to 27 tackles for a loss and 13 sacks the past four seasons but he can continue to improve as a finisher.

The top defensive signee in the Panthers' 2020 recruiting class, Hayes lacks ideal size, but he makes up for it in scheme versatility. He will be highly coveted for his final season of eligibility.

4. Damonic Williams, DT​

Transferring from: TCU Horned Frogs

HT: 6-2 | WT: 320 | Class: Junior

Background: Williams was a four-star recruit out of California but still fell under the national radar despite his size and explosiveness. It didn't take long for him to make a name for himself at TCU. He started every game as a true freshman and did the same last season as a sophomore while posting 33 total tackles, including five for a loss and three sacks on his way to earning honorable mention in Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year voting. Even at his size, he still possesses good quickness and explosive pop off the ball to shed and penetrate opponents' backfields. He plays with a motor as well, chasing plays down laterally and is very active in the trenches. With the physical tools and consistency he has shown in just two seasons in Fort Worth, Williams could be one of the biggest defensive targets in this spring cycle.

5. Andrew Chamblee, OT​

Transferring from: Arkansas

HT: 6-6 I WT: 304 I Class: Sophomore

Background: Chamblee, the No. 2 prospect in Arkansas in the 2022 and an ESPN 300 recruit, retained his athleticism despite adding more size and strength to his 6-foot-6 frame while redshirting for the Razorbacks. He started eight games as a redshirt freshman and showed flashes at left tackle, earning Freshman All-SEC honors.

Chamblee has exceptional length, but struggled versus more explosive SEC edge rushers and needs to add more anchor power. The SEC's rule prohibiting players from transferring within conference will actually work in his favor.

6. Elijah Herring, LB​

Transferring from: Tennessee

HT: 6-3 | WT: 238 | Class: Junior

Breakdown: A high-upside prospect, Herring signed with the Volunteers as a three-star recruit from Murfreesboro with a raw linebacker skill set. He packed muscle onto his long frame and flashed as a freshman reserve and special teams contributor in Knoxville.

Last season, he took advantage of injuries and moved up the depth chart and the production board. He started 11 games, finishing with a team-high 79 tackles (four for loss) and was a physical presence between the tackles. He also held his own coverage, although it's not his strength. For his career, Herring has 90 tackles, five tackles for loss and two sacks. Out of high school he was a strong edge player and could fill that role in the right scheme. Keep an eye on movement for his brother Caleb, a former ESPN 300 outside linebacker who has settled in at edge for the Vols.

11. KeAndre Lambert-Smith, WR​

Transferring from: Penn State

HT: 6-1: | WT: 188: | Class: Senior

Background: The former 2020 ESPN 300 receiver never truly broke out for Penn State despite four consistent seasons. He arrived on campus with a slight frame and 4.5-second 40-yard dash speed and started five games as a true freshman while showing a dynamic skill set and polished route running.

The senior started strong this past season, but he tallied just two catches in his final four games as the Nittany Lions' offense lacked explosive plays. Still, Lambert-Smith had 53 grabs for 673 yards to lead PSU in both categories and finished his Penn State career with 1,721 yards and 11 touchdowns. While he never emerged as a consistent go-to threat, Lambert-Smith should be coveted in the portal market as a seasoned, versatile No. 2 or 3 pass-catcher.

17. Dallan Hayden, RB​

Transferring from: Ohio State

HT: 5-10 I WT: 205 I Class: Junior

Background: The ultra-talented Hayden faced a crowded running back room in Columbus. A four-star prospect at Christian Brothers (Memphis, Tennessee), Hayden ranked No. 27 nationally at his position in high school. He quickly emerged as a true freshman, rushing for 553 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games for the Buckeyes. But his carries dropped from 111 in 2022 to just 19 last season, and now former Ole Miss star Quinshon Judkins is now wearing scarlet and gray.

Hayden has great quickness through the hole and is shifty, but he lacks game-breaking speed and downhill power. He'll be more of a change-of-pace player at his next stop, but he is still a valuable option.

23. Philip Blidi, DL​

Transferring from: Indiana

HT: 6-3 | WT: 295 | Class: Senior

Background: Coming out of New Mexico, Blidi was a multisport athlete in high school, but he still managed to make an impression as a recruit. Earning a high three-star grade, he is the fourth-highest-ranked prospect to come out of that state over the past five cycles. He signed with Texas Tech, immediately contributed and continued to do so while in Lubbock, appearing in at least 10 games in each of his three seasons there. He transferred to Indiana last season and started 11 games with a big increase in production. He tallied 30 tackles (seventh on the team) with four tackles for loss.

A big man with experience, versatility and consistent production, Blidi is a top transfer prospect getting interest from top programs, including LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma and Washington.

25. CJ West, DL​

HT: 6-2 | WT: 315 |Class: Senior

Transferring from: Kent State

Background: Productive defensive tackles are a premium in the portal and West should be at the top of most team's boards despite having just one season of eligibility remaining. He was a third-team All-MAC selection after posting 40 total tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. West is a massive interior defender who is difficult to block with a single blocker with his explosive get off and power. He often requires a double team but can still get skinny and shed blocks.

He went overlooked out of high school with a three-star grade and no Power 5 offers, but will be highly sought after this time around.

32. Rayyan Buell, DT​

Transferring from: Ohio

HT: 6-3 | WT: 277 | Class: Senior

Background: After initially signing with Rutgers, then going to Northwest Mississippi Community College, Buell was a third-team All-MAC player for Ohio last year. He was a disruptive presence this year with 12. 5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks and 30 total tackles. He posted a verified 5.09 40-yard dash at 280 pounds in high school and has improved that speed and explosiveness while increasing his functional strength. Buell flashes a great get-off and short-area burst to chase down quarterbacks and elusive running backs.

He's had a journey but could finally showcase his ability at the Power5 level. Finding the right scheme which will allow him to play fast from a shade technique should lead to another productive season.
Transfers out:
10. Myles Slusher
15. Cormani McClain

Today's gets:

1. Dayon Hayes from Pitt, DL. Rivals has him #103 overall, 4* from Pitt.

2. Kirkland, OT Texas is young but looks like a really good pickup compared to Sav Washington (#571 overall). Rivals has him #228 overall.

3. Dline Ryann Buell from Ohio, Bobcats. 247 has him 4* 177 overall, and #18 DL. Rivals has him #238 overall.

Hayden may still be a possibility. There are a bunch of good RB's out there.

I know Herring is a prime target at LB, #17 Overall. I wonder if Hayes & Okaluna's Pitt teammate Soloman Deshields is another possibility--Rivals has him #129 overall, 4*. He was Pitt's #1 LB in tackles last year. He had 5 or more tackles in 7 of their games.

It looks like Prime had some guys in waiting.

IMO, with the huge # of players in the portal, at this point if the Buffs land a player in the Top 450 (that would be top 1/5 of transfer portal) in either Rivals, 247 or On3 Composite the Buffs are getting a pretty darn good player with solid playing potential or upside if younger. Between the 3 ratings systems we are going to be 20+ guys that meet that threshold. I sort of use McKinney as a baseline and he is right around 400. There may be a miss here and there like Metayer, however it is much higher rated class overall than last seasons transfer haul. I believe our scouting room is bigger, better and more established, and the Prime hype train his having more impact.

An odd one is TE Sam Hart who transferring home from Ohio State: Rivals has him #418, 247 has him way lower like 1000, On3 Composite: #493. The bottom line is he appears verified at 6'5", 255 and not injured. Not a ton of experience but a grad transfer from a solid program. Except for Pass (hurt all season), we did not have a guy that size in our TE room last year. I'm feeling better with the good news today. I think we will get our LBs, maybe another TE if a good one becomes available, and an RB.
Sam Hart ain't the answer. Just telling you now.

CB looks real thin right now with basically Hunter, McKinney and Hodge as the only real, starting options. Omarion Cooper, Stoutmire and Jay can obviously make that move, but then that basically leaves Shilo, Cam and Herman Smith as the only Safety options.

One of those position groups needs at least 2 new additions.

Feels like this is the new reality for CFB and every team is going to struggle keeping depth players.
Agreed, but when you're rolling with only 75 scholarships and then lose 15+ guys to the portal, it's like you lost 25 guys as the depth was already pretty thin. While I don't agree with @Bread in the other thread that they have to get to 85 scholarships at all times (I like having some flexibility), I do think ~80 is needed. I believe they are currently sitting at 71 with the three transfer additions and Hopkins leaving, so another 9-10 net transfers in would be ideal.

Feels like this is the new reality for CFB and every team is going to struggle keeping depth players.
Part of the fun of CFB, and college athletics in general, was watching a few players develop. LOB in MMB for instance. He just got better every year, went from a guy who was a little bit of a head scratcher to a very solid contributor you loved to see on the floor. We aren't going to see much of that anymore.

It is going to be what have you done for me lately, and you can only do for about 40 guys in CFB. So, the top 40 will stay, mostly, and everybody else will be watching the portal the way you watch the door of the bar when you are on a date you don't really want to be on.

CB looks real thin right now with basically Hunter, McKinney and Hodge as the only real, starting options. Omarion Cooper, Stoutmire and Jay can obviously make that move, but then that basically leaves Shilo, Cam and Herman Smith as the only Safety options.

One of those position groups needs at least 2 new additions.
CB room probably looks appealing to a guy like Cobee Bryant....

CB room probably looks appealing to a guy like Cobee Bryant....
Ha, you mean a guy who would start at just about any program in the country? I'd obviously love that and it would certainly make our CB one of, if not the best in the country, but I think the more pressing need are a couple guys in the Payton Kirkland mold. Very talented, young guys who spent last year Redshirting and want to get on the field a bit this year and be in line to step into Travis and Preston Hodge's shoes when they both leave.

Ha, you mean a guy who would start at just about any program in the country? I'd obviously love that and it would certainly make our CB one of, if not the best in the country, but I think the more pressing need are a couple guys in the Payton Kirkland mold. Very talented, young guys who spent last year Redshirting and want to get on the field a bit this year and be in line to step into Travis and Preston Hodge's shoes when they both leave.
Well obviously;-)

Transfer portal is not lending itself to developing a lot of 4/5 star players. We are probably going to have to adjust how we view roster depth. Luckily we've got one of the best guys in the game at salesmanship who can continue to reload by bringing in these transfers.

I hope he finds the right mentor to reach him and he achieves everything he's capable of.
You must be a nicer person than me. Him running down CP and the program - saying they didn't try to coach him, and they are all about clicks . He's low effort and striking out at those that tried to help him. Very much an internet kid - you'd struggle to find an athlete more spoiled and less grateful for his gifts, imo

His comments were meant to make CP and CU look bad in the eyes of other recruits/transfers.

You must be a nicer person than me. Him running down CP and the program - saying they didn't try to coach him, and they are all about clicks . He's low effort and striking out at those that tried to help him. Very much an internet kid - you'd struggle to find an athlete more spoiled and less grateful for his gifts, imo

His comments were meant to make CP and CU look bad in the eyes of other recruits/transfers.
And it's hurting his prospects with other programs. CU taking the high road & being supportive is a good look for us.

And it's hurting his prospects with other programs. CU taking the high road & being supportive is a good look for us.
Yeah, the On3 people are saying he doesn't have much of a P4 market right now. UCF, USF and Memphis are the three to watch for at this time. I don't think anyone at the P4 level is willing to give him a bag before he proves it at this point. I assume it'll be USF or UCF for 2024 and then transfer to P4 if he does well.

Back