What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

We lost Reed and all we got are two 4⭐s from FSU and Alabama, Hunter and McClain?! This is bull****! I keep receipts!
Angry Star Trek GIF

Sav’ell Smalls, Bishop Thomas, Jaquez Robinson, Omarion Cooper, Derrick Mcclendon & Tar’Varish Dawson are EACH more intriguing than anyone on the roster last season. This is from the past week alone.

Tyson was speedy. MLC made a couple great plays. Otherwise, I haven’t been more depressed by a CU football team since Embree.
Tyson was more than speedy. He was a true frosh who broke into the lineup mid-season and finished the last 3 games with amazing numbers. There's a reason Oklahoma wanted him.

Washington didn’t make 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all conference…in the MAC. And had three other P5 conference offers as a transfer. He’s a decent player, but am I really supposed to be very impressed? fwiw Jake Wiley got six P5 offers in the portal.

We’ve also added another average starter from Kent State, two FCS players who had no other P5 offers as a transfers, 3 JUCOs two of whom were lightly recruited, a backup from Liberty, and redshirt 3-star recruit. Yay?

Allbuffs groupthink: clearly we’ve significantly upgraded the offensive line!

Again I think we definitely have more quality depth but I don’t think the actual starters are any better.

I’ll add to this that the two prep o-line recruits added by the new staff have just one combined P5 offer.
OL recruiting under B'OB is NEVER going to look great on paper. But he knows what he's looking for. If there's one position that the recruiting services get wrong over and over again it's OL. So much of it is between the ears and in the chest.

The OL will be the 2nd most improved unit on the team, behind QB1. Yes, low bars, but I have very high expectations on both.

I barely watched CU's previous kicker as I FF passed kicking so I can only speak on behalf of Mata, he's an excellent kicker but I believe his range is 50 yards max and if the previous kicker had a stronger leg, that wouldn't be a shocker. Feely is said to have a rocket leg, let's give him a chance to show it.
The good thing about Mata not having a super strong leg is that it won’t hurt the long snapper as much when the kick hits him in the ass.

Tyson was more than speedy. He was a true frosh who broke into the lineup mid-season and finished the last 3 games with amazing numbers. There's a reason Oklahoma wanted him.
Tyson was a loss, but the WR room is looking quite speedy and talented w/o him. I wish him well.

Tyson was a loss, but the WR room is looking quite speedy and talented w/o him. I wish him well.
I honestly think WR has been so well recruited that debating Tyson and MLC leaving is meaningless. From all accounts Hunter is a RD1 athlete at WR and there are some other guys with NFL caliper abilities coming in as well. And then there are a bunch of track guys as depth and then the Freshman. WR is covered.

I honestly think WR has been so well recruited that debating Tyson and MLC leaving is meaningless. From all accounts Hunter is a RD1 athlete at WR and there are some other guys with NFL caliper abilities coming in as well. And then there are a bunch of track guys as depth and then the Freshman. WR is covered.

NFL calipers. The only brand you can trust. ™

bSrK4jU.jpg

Prime has said (actually bragged) repeatedly that the roster would be significantly upgraded via the spring portal. In reality the amount of talent we’ve lost this spring is about equal to what’s been brought in. And the portal is now closed and pretty picked over so I wouldn’t bet on that changing much.
Let’s see.

Do I find a HoF player, possibly the best CB in the history of NFL and CFB, one of two generational two-major sport stars (right there with Bo Jackson), who as a head coach took Jackson State from an also-ran to a winning program almost immediately, while bringing in the #1 recruit in the country to an HBC over every major P5 football power, then following that up a commitment from the #1 CB recruit in the country again the next year directly to CU, along with the first real 4 & 5* players CU has seen—in any significant number—since the 90s, before he has coached a single game or had his first fall camp, while bringing in outstanding coaches including head coaches who have agreed to be coordinators just to work with him to be capable, credible, and on-plan going forward?

OR

Do I find a small spasm of meaningless, uninformed discontent whining about not getting dessert before dinner to be persuasive about the reality of CU football going forward?

Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Let’s see.

Do I find a HoF player, possibly the best CB in the history of NFL and CFB, one of two generational two-major sport stars (right there with Bo Jackson), who as a head coach took Jackson State from an also-ran to a winning program almost immediately, while bringing in the #1 recruit in the country to an HBC over every major P5 football power, then following that up a commitment from the #1 CB recruit in the country again the next year directly to CU, along with the first real 4 & 5* players CU had seen—in any significant number—since the 90s, before he has coached a single game or had his first fall camp, while bringing in outstanding coaches including head coaches who have agreed to be coordinators just to work with him to be capable, credible, and on-plan going forward?

OR

Do I find a small spasm of meaningless, uninformed discontent whining about not getting dessert before dinner to be persuasive about the reality of CU football going forward?

Hmmmm.
For guys like you:

"Of all the bets on who will win the College Football Playoff, 8.1% are on Colorado. That ranks sixth, behind just Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia and LSU. All of the first five teams have won national titles recently or came very close. Colorado has been to just three bowl games in the last 15 seasons and didn't win any of them."

Prime has said (actually bragged) repeatedly that the roster would be significantly upgraded via the spring portal. In reality the amount of talent we’ve lost this spring is about equal to what’s been brought in. And the portal is now closed and pretty picked over so I wouldn’t bet on that changing much.
Naw

Walker. After all these years of following recruiting I tend to put a steep discount on players that prepped in CO.
I'm with you on that, but he was an SEC guy who saw time in every game during his RS Freshman season. I'm not going to read Mizzou boards, but I presume he would have been at least part of the rotation at OLB/Edge this year. I think the concern over the level of competition and development as a CO prep can probably be entirely dismissed at this point.

I'm with you on that, but he was an SEC guy who saw time in every game during his RS Freshman season. I'm not going to read Mizzou boards, but I presume he would have been at least part of the rotation at OLB/Edge this year. I think the concern over the level of competition and development as a CO prep can probably be entirely dismissed at this point.
Started their last bowl game

One of the best players in football, Christian McCaffrey, was a Colorado prep. What are we talking about?
The best ones leave the state, save for a few gems like Tim Lynott. That will change with this power shift.
I share BJ's concern with CO prep recruiting (especially QB). There are outliers, like Cmac, but he's the exception not the rule. Far more examples of CO preps going P5 and sitting the bench their entire careers or transferring to lower levels.

As I said above, Walker is a guy who spent two years in the SEC, has physically developed into a guy who can play at this level and actually saw playing time early in his career, so at the absolute worst CU just picked up an SEC rotational guy that provides depth. At best, CU just landed an SEC starter.

Back