What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

I agree, but if CU makes it to a bowl in his first year I can't imagine the anxiety within the fan base that an SEC team/FSU will come calling, Brinks truck in tow, and sweep him right back down south. We need him here for a minimum of 3 years for this rebuild to stick.
Shedeur has 2 years left, and his daughter, Shelomi, is also joining the CUWBB team (not sure if she's joining midseason, if that's even possible, or if she's coming for 2023-2024), and will have 3-4 years of eligibility. Prime is also very outspoken about "finishing" and the reason he is coaching the Celebration Bowl is to finish what he started.

All that to say I think 3 years is probably the minimum he will be here, at which time, CU will need to be ready to make him a top 3 highest paid coach in the country, along with $10m for assistants and whatever he needs for recruiting/support staff. Also, unless Norvell bombs at FSU, I don't think they're calling anytime soon, nor do I think he is a lock to be interested in going there (h/t to @#1 pick ).

When thinking about the portal, I think it’s helpful to think about the five key positions in football:

1. QB. 2. DE (pass rusher) 3. LT 4. LCB 5. WR

You cannot win if you are bad at these positions. CU was critically weak in all of them (and many others too), and how Coach Prime fills these slots will be critical to team success next year.

if you look at the offers and likely transfers, Prime looks to be plugging these holes.

Shedeur Sanders will come in as QB. Travis Hunter at LCB. There are a host of big time offers at WR, so I think that gets filled very well. Landing a proven LT (like Marcellus Marshall) would plug another huge hole. A designated pass rusher is where we need to really find help. It would be great to get Nyles Gaddy from Jackson State, but he‘s used his one time transfer from Tennessee and would have to sit for a year. I continue to watch the portal to see how Prime address that position.

CU has other holes too, particularly at S and more quality on the DL as a group, but I like where things are headed.

When thinking about the portal, I think it’s helpful to think about the five key positions in football:

1. QB. 2. DE (pass rusher) 3. LT 4. LCB 5. WR

You cannot win if you are bad at these positions. CU was critically weak in all of them (and many others too), and how Coach Prime fills these slots will be critical to team success next year.

if you look at the offers and likely transfers, Prime looks to be plugging these holes.

Shedeur Sanders will come in as QB. Travis Hunter at LCB. There are a host of big time offers at WR, so I think that gets filled very well. Landing a proven LT (like Marcellus Marshall) would plug another huge hole. A designated pass rusher is where we need to really find help. It would be great to get Nyles Gaddy from Jackson State, but he‘s used his one time transfer from Tennessee and would have to sit for a year. I continue to watch the portal to see how Prime address that position.

CU has other holes too, particularly at S and more quality on the DL as a group, but I like where things are headed.
I would be very surprised if Shilo doesn't come in at Safety.

I would be very surprised if Shilo doesn't come in at Safety.

Pretty sure Coach Prime had mentioned he's likely coming... or kicked out of the family... It's posted around somewhere.

Pretty sure Coach Prime had mentioned he's likely coming... or kicked out of the family... It's posted around somewhere.
Well, Shiloh put up should I stay at JSU poll on social media after the hire and reportedly really loves it there. According to an interview I heard, he was made an honorary member of their marching band (which is apparently very famous), so I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk.

Bowl game in 2023 would be almost miraculous. Weed is legal here so makes sense why some are thinking it’s possible.

Bowl game in 2023 would be almost miraculous. Weed is legal here so makes sense why some are thinking it’s possible.
Totally depends on the roster turnover. If Prime can plug in a significant amount of talent then the calculus changes immediately to being able to out talent a significant portion of our schedule.

Yes, players could do a second transfer with immediate eligibility if a graduate. Hard to know what the academic progress is with some of these players.

Trying to follow recruiting and the portal is nuts. So nuts I’m afraid Prime is going to show up at my house and tell me I need to step up my fan game.

So you can transfer twice without sitting out if the second time was as a graduate?
JT Daniels has transferred twice already and is in the transfer portal again (I assume he wouldn’t be transferring again if he couldn’t play), so there must be some loopholes or nobody understands the rules anymore.

Shedeur has 2 years left, and his daughter, Shelomi, is also joining the CUWBB team (not sure if she's joining midseason, if that's even possible, or if she's coming for 2023-2024), and will have 3-4 years of eligibility. Prime is also very outspoken about "finishing" and the reason he is coaching the Celebration Bowl is to finish what he started.

All that to say I think 3 years is probably the minimum he will be here, at which time, CU will need to be ready to make him a top 3 highest paid coach in the country, along with $10m for assistants and whatever he needs for recruiting/support staff. Also, unless Norvell bombs at FSU, I don't think they're calling anytime soon, nor do I think he is a lock to be interested in going there (h/t to @#1 pick ).

I said it before I don't think his end goal is a bowl game for CU. I think his end goal is a National Championship. He saw that trophy sitting front and center when he went in to tour the facilities. I'm sure in his mind it's not finished in Boulder until another one of those trophies graces the halls. Hell you never know he might choose to make CU his legacy and stay so we will build a statue of him outside the stadium!

I think the goal is to be elite, not necessarily win a natty. I also believe he won't leave until he's gotten us there. My hope is that we don't burn it all down when he leaves, like we did after Tucker.

I agree, but if CU makes it to a bowl in his first year I can't imagine the anxiety within the fan base that an SEC team/FSU will come calling, Brinks truck in tow, and sweep him right back down south. We need him here for a minimum of 3 years for this rebuild to stick.
any success shown next year should be instant increase into whatever he needs and feels to be successful. Time to put the big boy pants on

As things are progressing I do believe we can get to a bowl game in 2023. That's where I think most of us are at this point. And that achievement should be the goal at this point. We hit that next year and you can't even begin to comprehend the overconfience we will all have leading into 2024.
I think we will beat the Huskers and Rams and I also think we get to a bowl game

I think the “rebuild” ends with Prime. It doesn’t matter what happens, what kind of success we have, or for how long. If/when he leaves, he will take whatever players he wants and the ride will be over. That said, he has already made this job more attractive, just by agreeing to it. And the work he’s already done eliminating the archaic transfer requirements will make hiring the next coach a whole lot easier.

Last edited:
I think the “rebuild” ends with Prime. It doesn’t matter what happens, what kind of success we have, or for how long. If/when he leaves, he will take whatever players he wants and the ride will be over. That said, he has already made this job more attractive, just be agreeing to it. And the work he’s already done eliminating the archaic transfer requirements will make hiring the next coach a whole lot easier.
So then I image we drop back down somewhat for sure. But I see that as then becoming a consistent 6-8 win team which I will take for the rest of my life TBH.

If Coach Prime gets us near the playoff in the next three years, my guess is a program will be willing to make him the highest paid coach in the game. One thing we have working in our favor - his kids will be alumni. If he wants to continue coaching, that could have some impact on his decision - coaching his children's alma mater.

Back