What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'23 TNFR K Alejandro Mata (Signed to COLORADO)

For all you know CP told Becker that he is not spending a scholarship on a kicker, so either compete as a walk on or go somewhere that will give you one.

For all you know CP told Becker that he is going to get grits on the menu of every restaurant in Loveland so either compete as a walk-in or or go somewhere that takes reservations.

For all you know CP told Becker that he is not spending a scholarship on a kicker, so either compete as a walk on or go somewhere that will give you one. Regardless, you’re a gambler. What are the odds of Becker beating out the guy the HC brought in to replace you? And by declaring, Becker can look around. It isn’t set in stone. Maybe he’s being smart and evaluating all of his options.
Once you’re in the portal, you have no options other than a different program. Your scholarship at your original program is terminated.

If I am Becker and I believe in my skills, I view the odds as much more favorable staying and competing where I already have a scholarship than gambling on not having a scholarship at all (or having to kick for a G5 or lower program).

That’s not what he’s doing. He is running away from competition.

Prime wants to win. If Becker shows out and proves that he’s the man for the job in spring practice and fall camp, Prime will play him ahead of Mata. That is not what Becker is doing. He is running away from competition.

The program Prime is building is based in competition.

Once you’re in the portal, you have no options other than a different program. Your scholarship at your original program is terminated.

If I am Becker and I believe in my skills, I view the odds as much more favorable staying and competing where I already have a scholarship than gambling on not having a scholarship at all (or having to kick for a G5 or lower program).

Prime wants to win. If Becker shows out and proves that he’s the man for the job in spring practice and fall camp, Prime will play him ahead of Mata. That is not what Becker is doing. He is running away from competition.

You can go back to your program if they want you. They just don't have to let you back.

You can go back to your program if they want you. They just don't have to let you back.
Yes, if they agree to reinstate your scholarship, you can come back. But, it isn’t a player option that DBT implied. Plus, Prime has been very plain about what he thinks about players who go to the portal…

Maybe we can grab an ATH who can play WR, CB, kick return, and blast field goals from 50+? Amiright?!

A player may withdraw his name from the portal and return to his/her original team. It would then be the school’s choice whether or not to restore the scholarship. But from everything people are saying, the school can cut scholarship players if they want anyway.

I find the idea that Becker should have stayed and “competed” for a spot that was obviously not going to be his to be pure fantasy. Nobody does that. It’s imbecilic. He has more options now than he would have in August. He’d be stupid to “compete” for a job that is obviously going to somebody else.

I don’t care who our kicker is as long as he’s willing to kick some of y’all in the nuts. Jesus ****ing christ.

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

The thing is, the great thing, this is the ONLY position to date that CP’s moves are even slightly controversial. It’s not like we are going to argue that Owen McCown is better than Shedeur Sanders.

The thing is, the great thing, this is the ONLY position to date that CP’s moves are even slightly controversial. It’s not like we are going to argue that Owen McCown is better than Shedeur Sanders.
Mama Mc Cown posting in 3...2...1...

You know, if you don’t like this thread, you always have the option to, you know, not participate. I’m sure there’s a soccer thread somewhere you can enjoy.

I’m not bothered by the fact that Prime brought in his own kicker. Prime’s team. Prime’s roster. He can do whatever he wants and I’m not going to be critical. Where I take issue is with the notion that Becker should have stuck around and fought for his job. That’s just plan delusional. Nobody does that. Anywhere. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

A player may withdraw his name from the portal and return to his/her original team. It would then be the school’s choice whether or not to restore the scholarship. But from everything people are saying, the school can cut scholarship players if they want anyway.
Coaches can cut players from the team, but the scholarship remains in tact for the duration of the signed agreement.

A player who enters the portal can withdraw their name from the portal, but the scholarship must be reinstated by the issuing institution. They don’t get to come back on their own terms.

Here's a point:

Kicker is a unique position in that huge success is not related to the level you're playing on. For a theoretical kicker, if you're 70% from 50-60 yards, you're going to get a shot in the league whether you're at Alabama, South Dakota, or Fort Hays State. And that makes the decision to go into the portal a lot less risky than the portal decision is for normal position players.

Last edited:
I find this disturbing.

View attachment 57649

The never ending K discussion....
Why is that disturbing. As said elsewhere, this decision is really the only one that raises any questions, thus discussion on a discussion board.
And for the record, I’m in the scratching my head camp in this one.
I’ll support Coach Sanders in this one, but lord help us Becker doesn’t pull a Rick Vaughn, sign on with Nebraska, and end up sticking it up…our…****ing…ass (2008)

Back