What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

24-25 MBB Team

Why are Lampkin, O’Brien and Hadley transferring? My wife thinks it must be because they are unhappy at CU for whatever reason.

Is it for NIL? Is it because they know we will be rebuilding with CW, KJ and TDS leaving? Is it just because they want a new experience?

Why are Lampkin, O’Brien and Hadley transferring? My wife thinks it must be because they are unhappy at CU for whatever reason.

Is it for NIL? Is it because they know we will be rebuilding with CW, KJ and TDS leaving? Is it just because they want a new experience?
I’ll take this one:

1. $$

I think all three are not pro prospects right now… and as high level college players would rather make some money via portal and also get some exposure and experience with a team that is expecting tournament run.

2. …

That’s its. Respect and love what they did for us but really can’t blame them. This is just not the year with current roster where you would stick around.

Last edited:

Tad is a program guy. He cycles guys through when their time is up...see: Horne, Schwartz, Walton, etc.

Also...there's no point in these guys coming back. None of them are stars, and the team might be worse off next year if we throw those three out there as our best players 🤷

@Buffnik answered this in another thread and I know you saw it, but in case others didn't:

If a guy has graduated, the destination school has to offer 2 years for a Master's Degree as a transfer. CU would only be able to pay 1 more year of scholarship. Stack on that there's good NIL money in that open market transfer deal. Then you have that Tad recruits and signs with the assumption that seniors will be open scholarships. I think the only 2 openings he didn't sign for are KJ & Cody. Maybe he thought Hadley would be back since he was at JUCO for the Covid year and may have been thought of as having 3 years of eligibility when signed. So, 3 signed, 3 more opened up which were expected by the time they happened, and we're waiting to see if anyone else decides to transfer.

Does anyone wonder why Deion doesn’t seem to support CU MBB? One tweet leads to at least one 4 star minimum in this new scary Big 12 era
Not his job. He has one focus - getting football back on the map. That's plenty.

Reactions: GRM
With the roster, I keep reminding myself that Utah State returned no scoring from their 2022-23 team, hired a new coach from mid major Montana State after the season, and was able to pull in transfers to construct a team that won the MWC. It's not necessarily a rebuilding year next season, but it takes an incredible job of talent evaluation & acquisition and also an amazing job on the coaching side of creating culture & chemistry to get all those new pieces to fit.

These transfers are what Tad planned for and probably helped facilitate. Tad simply doesn't keep guys past their "senior" season.

I like the optimism for a Utah State bounce back in constructing a new team. It will be much harder in the B-12, but could be nearly as tough a go without the transfers. I doubt Tad facilitated Lampkin and Hadley's departure, but it could be a mutual parting. Sounds like Hadley wants to get back closer to home. You don't want to go into a new conference with all unknowns--but if it is going to be a tough climb maybe start the movement now. I do think some P65 team will make a run at Tad too, he has earned that with his multiple 20+ win seasons.

Year 1 in the B-12 looks like a tough go.

Cal became respectable this season by signing transfers with one year of eligibility. I assume we could do the same, but to what end? Tad isn't coaching for his job. I'd much rather sing guys with more than one year of eligibility and play the underclassmen and see what we have.

Not his job. He has one focus - getting football back on the map. That's plenty.
Okay but I see him liking and engaging with non football stuff on social media all the time. Not basketball though. None of the CU football players follow the basketball players. Just find that a bit odd and unlike previous teams

Three laugh reactions… am I off or was it just funny?
It's the norm that coaches focus on their own programs and only really have beyond a low key presence for other sports if it is an opportunity to get pub or help recruiting (like when Tad takes hoops recruits to a football game). Coach Prime has attended a couple MBB games, but if he was going to leverage his influence to help anyone out it would be Coach Payne and the WBB program that his daughter has been part of.

Also, there's a recent history at CU of the football program feeling like they compete with the MBB program for resources. I remember talking to FB folks back when the hoops practice facility was built - they were grumpy about it. "Yeah, they needed it and it will be good for them. BUT there are a bunch of football needs not taken care of and we pay all the bills." I don't know if it's like that under CP, but I can see a likelihood that they're competing for access to the NIL money.

Yeah, I think similarly to his reasoning (even if I kind of roll my eyes a bit) for not doing any in-home visits, if Prime starts doing posts highlighting the MBB program, then he likely has to start doing posts highlighting WBB, WLax, Skiing, XC, Soccer, T&F, etc.

He has posted pictures or videos of himself at MBB games, Shedeur and other players have done the same plenty of times, he posts videos and pictures of members of other sports in his office giving him some swag to wear, and he routinely wears shirts or sweatshirts representing other sports.

It's the norm that coaches focus on their own programs and only really have beyond a low key presence for other sports if it is an opportunity to get pub or help recruiting (like when Tad takes hoops recruits to a football game). Coach Prime has attended a couple MBB games, but if he was going to leverage his influence to help anyone out it would be Coach Payne and the WBB program that his daughter has been part of.

Also, there's a recent history at CU of the football program feeling like they compete with the MBB program for resources. I remember talking to FB folks back when the hoops practice facility was built - they were grumpy about it. "Yeah, they needed it and it will be good for them. BUT there are a bunch of football needs not taken care of and we pay all the bills." I don't know if it's like that under CP, but I can see a likelihood that they're competing for access to the NIL money.
Interesting. I would think raising the profile of CU sports across the board would lead to more NIL money that benefits all in one way or another… but maybe that’s not how it works in reality

Interesting. I would think raising the profile of CU sports across the board would lead to more NIL money that benefits all in one way or another… but maybe that’s not how it works in reality
That's why I'm not sure if it's changed under CP. He's very much of the mindset of baking a bigger pie to get the serving you want, not the mindset of accepting the current size of the pie and worrying about getting a larger slice.

Yeah, I think similarly to his reasoning (even if I kind of roll my eyes a bit) for not doing any in-home visits, if Prime starts doing posts highlighting the MBB program, then he likely has to start doing posts highlighting WBB, WLax, Skiing, XC, Soccer, T&F, etc.

He has posted pictures or videos of himself at MBB games, Shedeur and other players have done the same plenty of times, he posts videos and pictures of members of other sports in his office giving him some swag to wear, and he routinely wears shirts or sweatshirts representing other sports.
This is all true… he has been to games. I guess I was just surprised to not see him involved at all with March… or maybe I missed it

I don't remember any football coaches at March Madness games, fwiw.
I’m not suggesting I expected him to be at games… just acknowledgment of team making the tournament, big win against Florida, how great it is that both men’s and women’s teams are making noise, etc… all that raises the profile of the university and CU athletics. Maybe he simply doesn’t have time or I’m being unrealistic, idk

I’m not suggesting I expected him to be at games… just acknowledgment of team making the tournament, big win against Florida, how great it is that both men’s and women’s teams are making noise, etc… all that raises the profile of the university and CU athletics. Maybe he simply doesn’t have time or I’m being unrealistic, idk
Two words - Spring Practice. He's just got other things to focus on at the moment. I wouldn't read too much into it. I saw FB players at MBB games plenty this year FWIW.

I would love it if he'd have used his platform to congratulate the team & players. I just didn't expect him to do so.

I don't disagre. He posts a bunch of ranmdom stuff. It wouldn't take long for him to send out a tweet or 2 about Tad and the boys.

It's almost like getting ready for spring ball is more of a priority.
stop with that excuse. A post takes all of 30 seconds and he probably has people that run his account anyways.
I'm sure he's sent out quite a few frivolous posts while "preparing for spring ball."
If he doesn't want to support bball then fine, but don't make up stupid excuses.

stop with that excuse. A post takes all of 30 seconds and he probably has people that run his account anyways.
I'm sure he's sent out quite a few frivolous posts while "preparing for spring ball."
If he doesn't want to support bball then fine, but don't make up stupid excuses.
Is it common for football coaches to publicly promote the basketball programs, or is this just another thing some people are going to hold Prime to a higher standard for?

The only football coach that I'm aware of posting anything about basketball was Lane kiffin talking trash to some other SEC school

My comment was a reply to Nik noting that the majority of football coaches don't comment on March Madness.

I just think the focus is elsewhere and I don't really care if Prime hypes up men's hoops or not, or if Tad hypes up football or not.

Just a topic not worth overthinking.

My comment was a reply to Nik noting that the majority of football coaches don't comment on March Madness.

I just think the focus is elsewhere and I don't really care if Prime hypes up men's hoops or not, or if Tad hypes up football or not.

Just a topic not worth overthinking.
FWIW, I didn't see Prime or Tad putting out a congratulatory message about the Ski team winning a national championship either.

My entire point is that it's nice if there's that cooperation support, but it's not the norm and shouldn't be an expectation. Probably the most in tune and supportive coach at CU for that is Roy Edwards from Men's Golf.

We went to the College World Series in a year that North Carolina had made it. It was at Rosenblatt so there weren't that many boxes, and Roy Williams was there to watch the Heels for the opening two games. He sat in the stands with the Carolina fans. I thought it was pretty rare given it was a revenue-sport coach supporting a non-rev team. One guy said it was pretty common to see him pop up at non-rev sports on campus throughout the year. I get why it doesn't happen, but I thought it was still pretty cool.

We went to the College World Series in a year that North Carolina had made it. It was at Rosenblatt so there weren't that many boxes, and Roy Williams was there to watch the Heels for the opening two games. He sat in the stands with the Carolina fans. I thought it was pretty rare given it was a revenue-sport coach supporting a non-rev team. One guy said it was pretty common to see him pop up at non-rev sports on campus throughout the year. I get why it doesn't happen, but I thought it was still pretty cool.
He still goes to UNC games as a fan. Roy bleeds Tar Heel blue.

Prime congratulated the Men's and Women's hoops teams on his IG story on Selection Sunday and gave the Men's team a shoutout (also on his story) for its season after the tourney loss.

Back