What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Uncommitted '24 TNFR LB Kyle Moretti

I tried to cut down the quotes to the main points, because all of you made great points. It is a combination of factors. Ore. St., and especially the Arizona game highlights on the gashing runs was enlightening. However, based on your comments, I watched the UCLA highlights.

The D played decent because they got 3 turnovers, and a couple key sacks and TsFL.. The safeties hit great, and it was 7-6 when Shilo was lost on the targeting call. With some O, we should have won this game. This game they played mostly a dime package with TW playing LB. They exposed TW on many explosion plays, but he had a huge game stats wise--#1 tackler. However, we gave up 254 yards rushing, and could have gave up more. TW looked very inexperienced/tentative in playing closer to the LOS. When he run blitzed, he was just gobbled up. The DL played decent: 3 sacks, 5 TFL, 1 hurry. Putting your good comments together, here are some observations:

1. Coaching. It's tough to blame things on 2 ILBs, one just converted from S, although we tried many LB combinations. Like I mentioned earlier about SL on O--there seemed to be disconnect in terns of game-planning, effectively using the coach in the booth, and just finding something to counter with--the OL was really poor. On D we had disconnect here as well. The Dline was playing better during these later season games and doing their thing, not great, yet not mashed/mauled either. I think Shilo/a S is calling the play from the backfield. IMO, the ILB's seemed to be lost out there--bad positioning, swallowed up, wrong gaps, wrong drop, not reading QB's eyes or even the play (i.e. reacting to RPO, fake handoff). Agree with Cali's comment that the vertical drops were not good. I have to give #1 Pick's comments on Hart, some benefit of the doubt on Hart, if he watched all the JMU games. They may have been playing year 2-3 in an established D scheme.

2. Defensive Coordinator. I agree that the new DC could be the Savior. Perhaps some of this was CK, as he was the overall coordinator. IMO, the LB's just did not look coordinated with the rest of the D--again sort of lost out there. In many defenses the LB's make the calls. It seems we were playing a 4-2-5 (Nickle) or Dime on many early downs in addition to some mid-yardage plays. This is where CU needs a great 2 down guy/run stopped, and ideally platoons in with a coverage ILB--maybe Gant get healthy or Wester on the longer downs. If we can find that special guy and then have a 3 down ILB to complement Bentley, then great. The new DC will put what he needs out there, however has to make sure they can chose the right gaps and read the play.

3. 1st Year D install. 1st year of a new D install is always a rough go. LB is where they have been exposed in the past. GB's disastrous CSU game--LB's were out of position all game. Landman and Wells (great/good players) had some real difficulty in Summers new install. The read and react skills take a little time. Run gap control is exposed. As is dropping into coverage. IMO, the learning curve is maybe hardest for the ILBs. I am presuming that Zimmer stays and I do not predict a completely new-D scheme. If they can perfect some with the ILBs, play some 4-3 on running downs; then the D could really grow.

4. Talent/Recruiting. If we tab this to Hart, IMO our LB haul looked great on paper last year, I thought one of the best position gets. We got Kennedy (4*), Gant (.89, 4* on one service), Bentley (consensus 4*), Brown (.89), Mitchell was never rated but started at ASU. Except for Brown, these transfers were from the bigger schools and better ranked. Gant was injured and not sure what happened with Kennedy, he had great game v. Utah. All of Kennedy's stats were UU and WSU. Mitchell was good before he got into trouble.

This year, we were close with landing Lundy and might still get 1-2 more. With sackmaster AJ Green appearing to be signing, we could see an Edge or two move. I did see an eligibility chart somewhere with Wade at LB--he has size playing LB at UK. Wester looks solid, listed as OLB--he would play the weakside drop ILB. I could see Webb-Carter maybe getting a shot here-- 6'6", 270 with huge wingspan could be special, and he played OLB at NM last year--have not seen film on him via how he moves or if he plays up. Quency Wiggens could be interesting here, 6'4", 265, huge wingpan, 2 sport athlete, smart kid and young. With all these guys lateral movement and tackling ability will be key. I like taller Physically ILB's as they can see more over the QB, if they go inside and get hands up, they bat passes. Overall, I love that game-changer guy, but CU's talent is improving.

5. D-Line. IMO, the Dline progressively improved through out the season, and they were adequate during the 2nd half of the season. Domineck really made noise, others made contributions as well. I thought that S's played well and were extremely hard hitting and deep. I just think they made many more plays the 2nd half of the season. Except when on the field too long, they were not consistently mauled. In the UCLA, Ore St, and Zona highlights on the big plays, it looked to me like the Dline was holding it's own at the L/O/S however run blitzers/run support was swallowed up, took the wrong gap or could not get off blocks. I think the Dline should be another level better this year (Domenick will be hard to replace) with maybe more depth. Perhaps, they don't run blitz ILBs as much, and they give more space to tackle. If interior D or Edge take double teams, that should open space for the LBs.

6. Moretti. I got hammered for my PWO comments above about Moretti. I made those based on the various Eligibility Trackers, recruit rankings/descriptions, then film on our guys and Moretti. Moretti looks like a great tackler, has MAC acolades, however I do worry about his speed/quicks transferring into the B-12. He would be plug and play for 1 year, like Mitchell without the off the field problems. I respect De Lama's comments the most, as he generally has an inside scoop, and is absolutely right if projected ILB's are Bentely and Woods this season, then signing Moretti is a no brainer. Who knows, Moretti could be the Roderick Ward from last season. I thought Domineck and Ward were the 2nd half D MVPs, although Shilo was close and after Stanford Hunter played great. I hold out hope that our guys get healthy, play towards their ranking, and maybe a position change will yield the ILBs. Moretti still feels PWO to me, but I could be wrong. If he comes, I'll welcome him with open arms.

To MattRob's comments, he poses a great question about how hard they are recruiting ILB? I think the CU braintrust feels that they have enough talent on the roster to find 1-2 adequate ILB on the roster to play with Bentely. Maybe Kennedy was hurt, he seemed to close the season better. Gant was definitely hurt. Also, we recruited 3 True-Frosh, some maybe one of them can step up. We missed on these guys with production last year, but the talent could be there. IMO, they are really looking for a Homerun Run-Plugging ILB, which are hard to find. On the other hand, I think improving the Dline a notch may give the staff flexibility to try moving 1-2 to ILB or the Dline is a force freeing up ILBs to just read and react. Maybe they can play some effective 4-3 or 3-4 on running downs.

For what it is worth. Last long post for the week. Go Buffs.

Great post. You know this will take me some time to answer fully.

I'll say this on #4. Last year's recruiting class for LBs was more potential than actual good production and some players were at their best role at the previous school like Bentley and Gant who was injured in 2023.

JuJu was miles away our best LB and he was the best graded too by PFF coming into 2023. Kennedy was all an upside pickup and he didn't really grow. Is that on Hart, I don't know. None of the guys we got were overly productive. Bentley produce some but it was clear, Clemson had him in the best role as a rotational LB with Special Teams responsibilities. Brown was a very productive EDGE at JSU but at this level, 6'2 215 just isn't big enough for an EDGE. It was always going to be an adjustment for him and I said that early and often.

Wester and Wade played everywhere for their teams but they both produced and showcased their abilities at a high level. I actually think we finally have the personnel to play the 3-4, 4-3, and the Big XII staple, 4-2-5. We didn't have that last year. It really blew up a lot of options defensively for us.

I do believe we missed at LB last year. JuJu was the only one that lived up to his expectations in a good and bad way. Bentley was what Clemson said he was. We thought he could be every down and realize, he's not even a starter.

I am not going to talk on this kid on his page other than positives like he put up decent stats and he has excellent size for the interior at LB.

Reactions: GRM
Great post. You know this will take me some time to answer fully.

I'll say this on #4. Last year's recruiting class for LBs was more potential than actual good production and some players were at their best role at the previous school like Bentley and Gant who was injured in 2023.

JuJu was miles away our best LB and he was the best graded too by PFF coming into 2023. Kennedy was all an upside pickup and he didn't really grow. Is that on Hart, I don't know. None of the guys we got were overly productive. Bentley produce some but it was clear, Clemson had him in the best role as a rotational LB with Special Teams responsibilities. Brown was a very productive EDGE at JSU but at this level, 6'2 215 just isn't big enough for an EDGE. It was always going to be an adjustment for him and I said that early and often.

Wester and Wade played everywhere for their teams but they both produced and showcased their abilities at a high level. I actually think we finally have the personnel to play the 3-4, 4-3, and the Big XII staple, 4-2-5. We didn't have that last year. It really blew up a lot of options defensively for us.

I do believe we missed at LB last year. JuJu was the only one that lived up to his expectations in a good and bad way. Bentley was what Clemson said he was. We thought he could be every down and realize, he's not even a starter.

I am not going to talk on this kid on his page other than positives like he put up decent stats and he has excellent size for the interior at LB.

I agree with most all your points. Mitchell was the ready plug&play LB. I like Wade and Wester additions. Agree Wade may make a run at starting. Green was a huge get today. Do you think any of the RS-Frosh LB's can step-up into the two-deep? Agree with your analysis of Bentley, but he did produce well comparatively. I looked at 247's Class Calculator for 2023, except for SS and 3 frosh on O, all the other double digit additions were on D. Of course, CM and TH, #1-2. Then it was Kennedy, Smalls, Gant, Jay, and Slusher. Bentley was down lower. McLendon was higher. What do you think the recruiting/transfer services are missing on these guys? Measurables? Up-rank based on original team? Inflated rank due to their HS rating? Injury history? Or was it just pre-season/season injury bad luck for the D?

I like this year's class much better, however last year we needed quantity/flip the roster, and Prime and CO were just getting settled. The guys this year are just much bigger, with more experience and from larger programs. Even the Frosh are bigger.

Also, I've seen where Sa'vell Smalls is moving to TE on the scholarship chart. I watched his HS film and he has excellent ball skills. Did not know he played WR in HS. That will be an interesting experiment, he has the size.

Overall, I know we will have more attrition and additions, but I'm starting to like the looks of this roster. Agree with you on focusing on Moretti's positives. If he is recruited and/or comes, whichever tract, I'll welcome and root for him. We have had some good local high school LBs develop in college.

I agree with most all your points. Mitchell was the ready plug&play LB. I like Wade and Wester additions. Agree Wade may make a run at starting. Green was a huge get today. Do you think any of the RS-Frosh LB's can step-up into the two-deep? Agree with your analysis of Bentley, but he did produce well comparatively. I looked at 247's Class Calculator for 2023, except for SS and 3 frosh on O, all the other double digit additions were on D. Of course, CM and TH, #1-2. Then it was Kennedy, Smalls, Gant, Jay, and Slusher. Bentley was down lower. McLendon was higher. What do you think the recruiting/transfer services are missing on these guys? Measurables? Up-rank based on original team? Inflated rank due to their HS rating? Injury history? Or was it just pre-season/season injury bad luck for the D?

I like this year's class much better, however last year we needed quantity/flip the roster, and Prime and CO were just getting settled. The guys this year are just much bigger, with more experience and from larger programs. Even the Frosh are bigger.

Also, I've seen where Sa'vell Smalls is moving to TE on the scholarship chart. I watched his HS film and he has excellent ball skills. Did not know he played WR in HS. That will be an interesting experiment, he has the size.

Overall, I know we will have more attrition and additions, but I'm starting to like the looks of this roster. Agree with you on focusing on Moretti's positives. If he is recruited and/or comes, whichever tract, I'll welcome and root for him. We have had some good local high school LBs develop in college.
Kennedy isn't a bust for us. He still got time to develop and turn it around. It was assumed he was being blocked by the talent at Bama. In reality, the game is too fast for him and his instincts are poor. This is tough to develop but we developed guys like this at JSU. See Aubrey Miller for example. He really became a leader.

Smalls was always rated high based on projection. I don't know if I ever seen anything from him as an EDGE that looked like he flashed being more than a below average guy. The athleticism flashed but so many guys were better. Like almost all of them. I am happy he made a position change. Sometimes excellent athleticism is best used on offense.

Gant, Jay, and Slusher had injuries and received a medical RS. There is really nothing more to say.

McClendon lived up to his ceiling for what we had. Sadly we had a lack of diversity on the DL and it hurt everyone like the OL lack of quality hurt the RBs, QB, and WRs.

It's hard to say. Progression is not linear and we had fit issue last year. That harmed progression. We seen Miami have this issue the previous year.

Most of the guys Prime got this year are starters, not backups and rotation guys hoping to get more PT. They are guys who played a lot of football.

If this was the Barzil, I would say otherwise but on here, this should only be positive about any prospect.

Kennedy isn't a bust for us. He still got time to develop and turn it around. It was assumed he was being blocked by the talent at Bama. In reality, the game is too fast for him and his instincts are poor. This is tough to develop but we developed guys like this at JSU. See Aubrey Miller for example. He really became a leader.

Smalls was always rated high based on projection. I don't know if I ever seen anything from him as an EDGE that looked like he flashed being more than a below average guy. The athleticism flashed but so many guys were better. Like almost all of them. I am happy he made a position change. Sometimes excellent athleticism is best used on offense.

Gant, Jay, and Slusher had injuries and received a medical RS. There is really nothing more to say.

McClendon lived up to his ceiling for what we had. Sadly we had a lack of diversity on the DL and it hurt everyone like the OL lack of quality hurt the RBs, QB, and WRs.

It's hard to say. Progression is not linear and we had fit issue last year. That harmed progression. We seen Miami have this issue the previous year.

Most of the guys Prime got this year are starters, not backups and rotation guys hoping to get more PT. They are guys who played a lot of football.

If this was the Barzil, I would say otherwise but on here, this should only be positive about any prospect.
Might as well just say it- as much as none of us wanted to admit it, successfully turning over 70 roster spots in one off-season is nearly impossible, and when you don't have a collective in place, it is impossible. That led to taking a lot of chances on guys who were completely unproven or on a downward arc that wanted to bet on themselves. A few paid off, but many didn't.

This year, they have an established talent base that allows them to be much more targeted in their approach while 5430 is a functional collective that gives them at least some ammo to work with. The difference in the classes is obvious.

Might as well just say it- as much as none of us wanted to admit it, successfully turning over 70 roster spots in one off-season is nearly impossible, and when you don't have a collective in place, it is impossible. That led to taking a lot of chances on guys who were completely unproven or on a downward arc that wanted to bet on themselves. A few paid off, but many didn't.

This year, they have an established talent base that allows them to be much more targeted in their approach while 5430 is a functional collective that gives them at least some ammo to work with. The difference in the classes is obvious.
77. They didn't have any collective at the time so it was a wild experiment at this level that ultimately failed in 2023 but we did pick up a lot of talent and we changed the work ethic and the players we got are guys who want to be here and signed up for this. Even if they weren't that good. This wasn't new. We did the same at JSU. The difference was, that we were able to fix the defense instantly at JSU. At this level, we weren't. Offensively, I didn't see much difference. Year 1 with Shedeur looked like Year 3 Shedeur situation wise. We had a better OL and RBs at CU compared to comp than JSU had that year but JSU WRs were way better than CU's WR last year compared to comp. I think we fixed a lot of offensive issues this offseason by hiring Pat full-time, getting Phillips back where he belongs in the WR room, and moving Brett to another room. He has HC potential but option routes just weren't working for this group.

Defensively, I felt the issue was mainly the diversity of the DL and LB's overall talent level. Seems like we fixed both. Still waiting to see who's the DC and DL coach. The secondary was really young as well but they were very talented.

Last edited:
77. They didn't have any collective at the time so it was a wild experiment at this level that ultimately failed in 2023 but we did pick up a lot of talent and we changed the work ethic and the players we got are guys who want to be here and signed up for this. Even if they weren't that good. This wasn't new. We did the same at JSU. The difference was, that we were able to fix the defense instantly at JSU. At this level, we weren't. Offensively, I didn't see much difference. Year 1 with Shedeur looked like Year 3 Shedeur situation wise. We had a better OL and RBs at CU compared to comp than JSU had that year but JSU WRs were way better than CU's WR last year compared to comp. I think we fixed a lot of offensive issues this offseason by hiring Pat full-time, getting Phillips back where he belongs in the WR room, and moving Brett to another room. He has HC potential but option routes just weren't working for this group.

Defensively, I felt the issue was mainly the diversity of the DL and LB's overall talent level. Seems like we fixed both. Still waiting to see who's the DC and DL coach. The secondary was really young as well but they were very talented.
I didn't see it as a failure. They turned a 1 win, irrelevant team into a 4 win team that was among the most-watched in the country. They were a 2nd half meltdown against Stanford away from bowl eligibility, imo. Unfortunately, I don't think Prime handled that loss well and over-rotated into putting too much pressure on the players and coaches instead of taking accountability for game management, and it probably cost them 1-2 more wins. It didn't go as well as it could have, but from a roster building standpoint it was far from a failure.

India Asia GIF by EarthScope Consortium

I didn't see it as a failure. They turned a 1 win, irrelevant team into a 4 win team that was among the most-watched in the country. They were a 2nd half meltdown against Stanford away from bowl eligibility, imo. Unfortunately, I don't think Prime handled that loss well and over-rotated into putting too much pressure on the players and coaches instead of taking accountability for game management, and it probably cost them 1-2 more wins. It didn't go as well as it could have, but from a roster building standpoint it was far from a failure.
Not to mention that Prime and his players were under immense pressure, especially after they got off to a hot start. I also think they got a bit overconfident as well. And I really don't blame them.

The season was far from a failure and I'm confident that CP will learn a lot from the mistakes of last season.

Not to mention that Prime and his players were under immense pressure, especially after they got off to a hot start. I also think they got a bit overconfident as well. And I really don't blame them.

The season was far from a failure and I'm confident that CP will learn a lot from the mistakes of last season.
Despite the final record this is a team that went from being an embarrassment to being at least competitive in most of their games, that is a huge jump.

The may have gotten overconfident after the hot start but I think a bigger factor was that once teams got film on them they figured out that the Buffs had nothing on the OL or the DL.

We couldn't effectively run the ball and Shedeur got hit faster and more often than the pads on a blocking sled. This year their biggest focus was on bringing in big guys. We still won't have the best lines in the conference but at least we should be good enough to look like a P5 team up front.

As to Coach Prime learning people should remember that he has only been coaching college football in any capacity four years. As an athlete he was known as a guy who studied hard and learned quickly, I think we will see the same as a college coach.

Despite the final record this is a team that went from being an embarrassment to being at least competitive in most of their games, that is a huge jump.

The may have gotten overconfident after the hot start but I think a bigger factor was that once teams got film on them they figured out that the Buffs had nothing on the OL or the DL.

We couldn't effectively run the ball and Shedeur got hit faster and more often than the pads on a blocking sled. This year their biggest focus was on bringing in big guys. We still won't have the best lines in the conference but at least we should be good enough to look like a P5 team up front.

As to Coach Prime learning people should remember that he has only been coaching college football in any capacity four years. As an athlete he was known as a guy who studied hard and learned quickly, I think we will see the same as a college coach.
It's way too early to say what we got in the trenches and don't got. Talent wise, we look great in those areas but it has to come together and they must fit the scheme.

I know you are bias towards Harr. I'm judging him based on two cycles of recruiting and one season on the field. Guy cannot recruit despite having CP as coach and his inability to coach up the LB's is alarming.
Not to speak for everyone but we would be pleased if the LB core filled gaps, moved vertically, covered in space effectively and he actually lands a couple solid LB's. We are are rooting for it, literally. But until that happens, it's fair to say he doesn't belong at this level.
Kind of hesitantly agree with this

Reactions: GRM
It's way too early to say what we got in the trenches and don't got. Talent wise, we look great in those areas but it has to come together and they must fit the scheme.
But you have to agree (a bit at least) with the 'read' factor here...no? Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely hopeful for this coming year.

But you have to agree (a bit at least) with the 'read' factor here...no? Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely hopeful for this coming year.
You would only be going off of their previous production at previous stops. Until we see the spring game, we don't know what we get

It can take time to put together effective lines and you notice I did say that we won't be one of the best lines in the B12.

Important though that we will at least have P4 talent up front. Last season we were playing a number of guys who simply didn't belong at this level They could do everything right and still get run through like a turnstile.

This year we will at least have some guys out there who are capable of winning one on one battles.

Same thing on the D-line. Not saying we win every battle up front but at least we will have guys capable of winning sometimes.

Back