What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

247Sports JUCO rankings

With that, I'm sure Nik would agree that Juco ratings are often kind of bad. Less effort is put in for sure.

With that, I'm sure Nik would agree that Juco ratings are often kind of bad. Less effort is put in for sure.
Definitely. However, it's also clear that CU has stepped it up in a huge way with JUCO recruiting. Used to be pretty empty effort for the program but it's turning into a major difference maker for the program. Changes in NCAA rules + emphasis/work by the CU staff have come together to be a game changer for the Buffs.

I don't really like depending on jucos, but it might be a necessity for us for the foreseeable future, unless we can somehow turn it up in traditional recruiting.

I don't really like depending on jucos, but it might be a necessity for us for the foreseeable future, unless we can somehow turn it up in traditional recruiting.
It's an important piece to the puzzle. Nothing at all wrong with relying on JUCOs to plug gaps in the roster / 2-deep. There will always be needs. Where the negative comes in is the "why?" for those gaps. Inability to recruit HS players at certain positions who look like anything special and then having to make up for it with JUCOs is when I'd call it a problem. And we do have that problem with certain position groups. For example, the current coaching staff at CU has been here since the 2013 recruiting class and has not had a single one of its HS recruits become a starter on the DL.

I especially like the guys with 3 years of eligibility, some even have a RS year to give. We've had a slew of those. These are typically guys who did qualify but were overlooked, or guys who spent a year at a 4 year school and decided to go back into the draft per se.

We are doing a good job of scouting these types. Unlike non-qualifiers who were often well known, but didn't get in. Those types need extra time to prepare for the D1 newer requirements.

It feels as though someone is working the coaching ranks hard at the Juco levels and getting some ballers who were overlooked in High School and showing they can play in just 1 year of Juco. They come in as neither academic liabilities, but also with some time to be molded.

Of course, the other types are good too if you have to fill holes, but 2 years goes by fast.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege

Here are the most relevant ones for CU:

Davion Taylor (#15 composite rank, #7 247s rank)
Caleb Tremblay (#12 composite, #13 247s)
Jordan Allen (#24 composite, #17 247s)
Aaron Maddox (#64 composite, unranked 247s)
Delrick Abrams (#66 composite, #56 247s)
Darrion Jones (#77 composite, #64 247s)
Are we after any other JUCOs? I seem to remember a RB, a couple of OL, another DT and a DL / DE that Bernardo visited with last week. Would be interesting to know who these players are and how they rank.

Back