What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5430 Foundation

Del

WOM and RTP both posted about it at the end of their videos yesterday requesting donations. This is the one way you can directly have a say on the team we put out on the field. It’s the last piece we need in order to be a dominant program and keep Coach Prime here at Boulder and not jump in a couple years. Who is in?

Here we go!

If 5430 is able to build the war chest I think they'll be able to, we're going to see a couple of huge flips the next 2 months.

Lots of serious frustration at CU about the lack of CU donors contributing to 5430. I am told Prime himself is unhappy about the situation.

CU fans always seem to think this is someone else's problem to solve and claim they can't afford to make a meaningful donation.

If you care to have a consistently winning program, CU donors need to get off of their asses and make a meaningful contribution!

Lots of serious frustration at CU about the lack of CU donors contributing to 5430. I am told Prime himself is unhappy about the situation.

CU fans always seem to think this is someone else's problem to solve and claim they can't afford to make a meaningful donation.

If you care to have a consistently winning program, CU donors need to get off of their asses and make a meaningful contribution!
After 20 years of mismanagement and wasting of donor money in epic proportions, they release a fund with almost no messaging/traction/marketing and they want to be mad after one ****ing week?

They should try marketing the fund better, winning more games, and some patience given their history of wasting our money.

That said, I donated. But still, **** that. Give people a reason to donate and get some champs working the phones and fundraising. It’ll take more than 4 wins and minimal fundraising effort over a week to overcome 2 decades of Battered Buff Syndrome

CU needs to engage smaller donors. More than focusing on "meaningful" contributions, they need to emphasize that even $10-20 is meaningful when thousands of people do it. Prime is getting so much attention that there's a golden opportunity to engage large numbers of smaller donors, and the large donations will likely follow.

After 20 years of mismanagement and wasting of donor money in epic proportions, they release a fund with almost no messaging/traction/marketing and they want to be mad after one ****ing week?

They should try marketing the fund better, winning more games, and some patience given their history of wasting our money.

That said, I donated. But still, **** that. Give people a reason to donate and get some champs working the phones and fundraising. It’ll take more than 4 wins and minimal fundraising effort over a week to overcome 2 decades of Battered Buff Syndrome
There's been a mixed message with this too. Prime began by saying he didn't believe in collectives and didn't want to pay players. It's only within the last 48 hours or so that the message has changed. It may have been naive, but for a lot of fans, I don't think a collective was even on their radar previously.

There's been a mixed message with this too. Prime began by saying he didn't believe in collectives and didn't want to pay players. It's only within the last 48 hours or so that the message has changed. It may have been naive, but for a lot of fans, I don't think a collective was even on their radar previously.
100% I was gonna edit my post and add that aspect. You can’t have a year of bold “NFL NOT NIL” messaging and then make a change behind closed doors and expect people to magically be in on it

So this shows up out of nowhere, a link is posted on the board and I'm supposed to donate so some dude named Jason who "...enjoys playing and watching sports, traveling and spending time with friends and family" can spend my money via some black box operation?

They do claim they are spending some of the money supporting charities that mostly have nothing to do with CU sports. The FAQ's only talk about how to give them money, not one single bit about how they spend the money.

What am I missing here?

Ia the board really only 2 people?
Would like to see a larger more traditional board of like 7 or 9 and maybe a few names that pop

The next time you bring a positive perspective on CU football will be the first. I find this entire post very hard to believe, especially the first two sentences. This thing has been in existence for two weeks, and the Prime media channels have been pumping it for two days, and supposedly everybody over there is very unhappy.

Nevermind that donations everywhere else are up substantially, merch sales are through the roof, tickets are sold out, but yeah, I'm supposed to believe that Prime is frustrated because the two week old collective isn't funded to some expected level.

So this shows up out of nowhere, a link is posted on the board and I'm supposed to donate so some dude named Jason who "...enjoys playing and watching sports, traveling and spending time with friends and family" can spend my money via some black box operation?

They do claim they are spending some of the money supporting charities that mostly have nothing to do with CU sports. The FAQ's only talk about how to give them money, not one single bit about how they spend the money.

What am I missing here?
It's a collective. They pay the athletes to represent the 4 listed charities. Since it technically goes to a charitable cause, it's tax deductible, but ultimately it's about getting funds to the players. The fact you benefit charity is a bonus.

It's legit though. They spent a lot of time and effort setting it up the right way and 99% of funds are going to the football team.

They should make videos of the kids volunteering and spotlight the charities with solid content then routinely blast across socials.

Dedicate 10-15 minutes of our weekly content toward the good that comes of donating and highlight the community. Really focus a strategy around getting your viewers into the 5430 program. There’s a lot of dead air in Well Off you could easily fill with targeted content marketing of this program

They should make videos of the kids volunteering and spotlight the charities with solid content then routinely blast across socials.

Dedicate 10-15 minutes of our weekly content toward the hood that comes of donating and highlight the community. There’s a lot of dead air in Well Off you could easily fill with targeted content marketing of this program
I'm sure that's coming. This is all just so new, I wonder how much has even occurred. I can't imagine they're not going to be posting a lot of content with puppies at the humane society.

This helps, Darius said that what he does is made possible by 5430?
Is there a direct connection whereby what is put on Social Media has a correlation to payments to the players from 5430 for screen time on Reach the People?
Can we have Jaylen Ellis be the face of the Boulder Humane Society? He has represented us very well

This helps, Darius said that what he does is made possible by 5430?
Is there a direct connection whereby what is put on Social Media has a correlation to payments to the players from 5430 for screen time on Reach the People?
Can we have Jaylen Ellis be the face of the Boulder Humane Society? He has represented us very well
Jaylen would be great for the Humane Society!

I don't think there's any direct link between Reach the People and 5430, other than they're working toward the same goal and, I would assume, Reach the People will serve as a platform to spotlight the contributions players are making. My information comes from Buff Stampede though, where it's been discussed in more detail and there are posters more familiar with 5430.

My understanding is the purpose of 5430 is to be able to say "Jordan Seaton, we would like you to come to Boulder and work with the Boulder Humane Society. In return, we're prepared to give you $250,000 for your time."

It's a collective. They pay the athletes to represent the 4 listed charities. Since it technically goes to a charitable cause, it's tax deductible, but ultimately it's about getting funds to the players. The fact you benefit charity is a bonus.

It's legit though. They spent a lot of time and effort setting it up the right way and 99% of funds are going to the football team.
There has got to be a TON of work involved in getting the events, promotions, photography, online content, payments, everything put out from the collective to the players. They need to also enroll in volunteer support for all that is above and beyond just the donations. Hard to imagine that they can run at 99% to the players with all the other stuff that should be happening. I would think that this is why most collectives just write checks and do not give two ****s about the legitimacy of the endeavor.

Reactions: Del
There has got to be a TON of work involved in getting the events, promotions, photography, online content, payments, everything put out from the collective to the players. They need to also enroll in volunteer support for all that is above and beyond just the donations. Hard to imagine that they can run at 99% to the players with all the other stuff that should be happening. I would think that this is why most collectives just write checks and do not give two ****s about the legitimacy of the endeavor.
Agreed. They went through a lot of work to register as a non-profit and the reporting that requires. That gives it a legitimacy that other collectives don't have, imo, and it's likely why the AD is actively pushing it now.

The next time you bring a positive perspective on CU football will be the first. I find this entire post very hard to believe, especially the first two sentences. This thing has been in existence for two weeks, and the Prime media channels have been pumping it for two days, and supposedly everybody over there is very unhappy.

Nevermind that donations everywhere else are up substantially, merch sales are through the roof, tickets are sold out, but yeah, I'm supposed to believe that Prime is frustrated because the two week old collective isn't funded to some expected level.

Sorry, my post was not directed at people on this site specifically, but anyone who remotely follows the sport has to know a well-funded NIL program is crucial to the success of the football program. Unfortunately, NIL is growing more and more important with even high school recruits. IMO, Prime has had to change his tune as a result. As we know, Prime is not patient and the lack of NIL funds is now an impediment to recruiting high-level high school players, and will of course be an issue again in the portal. For example, my understanding is Bear Alexander was paid $500,000 by the USC collective.

That's why he is frustrated.

5430 was organized by people around Prime, and it's for football only. It was initially set up by Eric Belcher and Jason Weiss, both CU donors on the West Coast. They deserve tremendous kudos for getting this thing off the ground. It's been actively courting donors since late spring. Recently, it was rolled out to the public after the website was finished.

5430 went to potential large donors first ($25,000-$100,000+), and that had mediocre success, with about $2.5 mm committed so far, but far less funded. There also was an event at BCC on Aug. 20 with about 40 potential donors, and it was not a great success.

Recent status ~30 players being compensated, need is about ~25,000-$50,000 per player. Also, much larger $$$ ($100,000 or more per year) are needed for certain high-level recruits.

NIL is the one area CU is lagging far behind its peers.

Last edited:
Small donations can add up. But big donations make the difference. If you are trying to quickly build a war chest, you need several large donations. How big does that war chest need to be to make a difference? $2 million? $5 million?

5430 was organized by people around Prime, and it's for football only. It was initially set up by Eric Belcher and Jason Weiss, both CU donors on the West Coast. They deserve tremendous kudos for getting this thing off the ground. It's been actively courting donors since late spring. Recently, it was rolled out to the public after the website was finished.

5430 went to potential large donors first ($25,000-$100,000+), and that had mediocre success, with about $2.5 mm committed so far, but far less funded. There also was an event at BCC on Aug. 20 with about 40 potential donors, and it was not a great success.

Recent status ~30 players being compensated, need is about ~25,000-$50,000 per player. Also, much larger $$$ ($100,000 or more per year) are needed for certain high-level recruits. For example, my understanding is Bear Alexander was paid $500,000 by the USC collective.
Thank you for some real information. People are naturally skeptical of a black box operation so certain details as you've provided are required.

Sorry, my post was not directed at people on this site specifically, but anyone who follows the sport has to know a well-funded NIL program is crucial to the success of the football program. Unfortunately, NIL is growing more and more important with even high school recruits. IMO, Prime has had to change his tune as a result. As we know, Prime is not patient and the lack of NIL funds is now an impediment to recruiting high-level high school players, and will of course be an issue again in the portal. That's why he is frustrated.

Recent status ~30 players being compensated, need is about ~25,000-$50,000 per player. Also, much larger $$$ ($100,000 or more per year) are needed for certain high-level recruits. For example, my understanding is Bear Alexander was paid $500,000 by the USC collective.

NIL is the one area CU is lagging far behind its peers.
Thanks for the additional context. This is the first time I've seen any numbers reported, so that's interesting. I think soliciting through Well Off and Reach the People is the way to go. You've got over 500k subscribers between the two, even if there is a lot of overlap. Get 20% of them to throw in $10 and you've quickly raised 1m. If you can get ongoing commitments, that multiplies quickly.

Back