What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A lot of CO recruits at the game

Diamonds in the rough + lack of talent development = no good. That's my point now shut the **** up about it.

Oooh feisty tonight.

So your assertion is that our recruiting the last few years has been fine, we just need to develop the talent better?

Oooh feisty tonight.

So your assertion is that our recruiting the last few years has been fine, we just need to develop the talent better?
Did I say that? No. Since we were on the topic of past classes and we were talking about diamonds in the rough and the lack of talent development.

The talent they got they didn't develop well.

This led me to believe you thought the talent was there, but the development wasn't. Did you think I wasn't aware that developing talent was kind of important?

Excuse me for disagreeing with bigbang and saying that relying on 2*s with no other offers like D.D. Goodson and Tyler McCullouch is probably not going to get us to where I want us to be. Then again, I can see a great case being made for D.D. Goodson being proof of diamond in the rough success when the kid hasn't played a single down yet.

This led me to believe you thought the talent was there, but the development wasn't. Did you think I wasn't aware that developing talent was kind of important?

Excuse me for disagreeing with bigbang and saying that relying on 2*s with no other offers like D.D. Goodson and Tyler McCullouch is probably not going to get us to where I want us to be. Then again, I can see a great case being made for D.D. Goodson being proof of diamond in the rough success when the kid hasn't played a single down yet.
Now you're just attempting to put words in my mouth. Nice try though.

Now you're just attempting to put words in my mouth. Nice try though.

Sigh.

So I think we can agree that we can't rely only on diamond in the rough types if we are to get back to the top 25 anytime soon, yes? We can also agree that when we grab a diamond in the rough, developing them would be a solid move. Hawk left us with little talent, and what little talent he left was poorly developed.

Sigh.

So I think we can agree that we can't rely only on diamond in the rough types if we are to get back to the top 25 anytime soon, yes? We can also agree that when we grab a diamond in the rough, developing them would be a solid move. Hawk left us with little talent, and what little talent he left was poorly developed.
Yes.

5star, 4 star ratings and National rankings is not everything. What we need are ballers players that can help the program. Guys like Brian Urlacher were unranked and they turned out well. Mark Ingram was a 3 star RB coming out of HS, he turned out to be a Heisman winner. Uzo Diribe ranked 112th dE is better than Nick Kasa who was a top 5 ranked players coming out of HS. Will oliver steped in ahead of kickers that were ranked higher than him. Forget the rankings nonsense and give me ballers. Boise State and TCU are doing just fine. I don't believe in the ranking system because it is flawed, so much politics and distorted stats Some ranking systems rate players at wrong positions. Look at Erich Wilson he is an unranked CB, the guy plays most as a RB in HS. You have players that are still growing, HS ranking system is worthless.

Last edited:
5star, 4 star ratings and National rankings is not everything. What we need are ballers players that can help the program. Guys like Brian Urlacher were unranked and they turned out well. Mark Ingram was a 3 star RB coming out of HS, he turned out to be a Heisman winner. Uzo Diribe ranked 112th dE is better than Nick Kasa who was a top 5 ranked players coming out of HS. Will oliver steped in ahead of kickers that were ranked higher than him. Forget the rankings nonsense and give me ballers. Boise State and TCU are doing just fine. I don't believe in the ranking system because it is flawed, so much politics and distorted stats Some ranking systems rate players at wrong positions. Look at Erich Wilson he is an unranked CB, the guy plays most as a RB in HS. You have players that are still growing, HS ranking system is worthless.
cannot believe how dense you are. take a ****ing stats class and get back to us.

slothshade.gif

hawk is that you?

I look forward to the days when we're pulling in a ton of 4* and 5* guys with a Top 15 recruiting class and we have a ton of people posting that it doesn't mean **** because conference rivals are finding those 2* diamonds in the rough.

I look forward to the days when we're pulling in a ton of 4* and 5* guys with a Top 15 recruiting class and we have a ton of people posting that it doesn't mean **** because conference rivals are finding those 2* diamonds in the rough.

There are good players that are ranked highly and there are **** players that also ranked highly. The point i am trying to make here is that, we need ballers regardless of ranking. I want players that when you watch tape they standout. The problem with Hawk is that most of the players were just not good enough. But Ranking alone should not be the key driver in recruiting.

There are good players that are ranked highly and there are **** players that also ranked highly. The point i am trying to make here is that, we need ballers regardless of ranking. I want players that when you watch tape they standout. The problem with Hawk is that most of the players were just not good enough. But Ranking alone should not be the key driver in recruiting.

It's a good point and I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. I would be horrified if I learned that the CU coaches were basing their recruiting on the ratings from the premium services. They're a nice guide for fans, though, and the ratings statistically correlate to the likelihood of a player making an all-conference team or being drafted into the NFL. The team rankings of recruiting classes also statistically correlate to on-field success 3 and 4 years later. Not perfect, but it's useful.

My recommendation to the folks on Allbuffs is:

1) Trust the coaches (they haven't given you reason not to and have great career track records)
2) Trust your eyes (if you take the time to watch the film, you'll get the idea on athleticism and playmaking)
3) Take a look at the offer list (especially look for offers from respected programs that run a similar system as ours)
4) Consider the star rating and positional rank (gives you a gauge on whether employed scouts are seeing what you are)

Also, keep in mind that for #4 the ratings & rankings weight heavily to how they played as juniors and showed in summer camps before their senior seasons. Further, that the depth of scouting may not be there for players outside the top few hundred guys, especially if they didn't attend camps, played for a less prestigious HS program, or were stuck behind a guy at a more prestigious HS program until senior year. There is a ton of talent to be found that develops during senior year and they may not have high ratings. Programs like Boise State have built great programs around those types of guys.

You make it sound like rankings are just completely adventitious and stars are randomly put next to players names. There is a reason some players get 5 stars while others get 3. And these "ballers" (please stop saying that) and players who stand out on tape that you say we need are typically the ones who are getting the high ranking. Sure you can find the occasional diamond in the rough but you cant rely on this strategy. 95% of 2 star players end up playing like 2 star players. The teams who have had highly ranked recruting classes the past decade are the same teams who often end up in BCS games, this isn't a coinsidence.

I want Wes Brown!
Do we have any info when we will have some recruits in for official visits yet?

Hate to be pessimistic, but games like today's OSU debacle won't help in pulling guys like Wes Brown. He'd have to have a ton of faith in EB and the staff to go thousands of miles from home for college with all the options he has. We desperately need to win some games and put up good performances against the big guns.

Hate to be pessimistic, but games like today's OSU debacle won't help in pulling guys like Wes Brown. He'd have to have a ton of faith in EB and the staff to go thousands of miles from home for college with all the options he has. We desperately need to win some games and put up good performances against the big guns.

We got a silent verbal from DScott after the Mizzou disaster. I'm not sure how much stock you can put into a loss and how it affects recruiting, but each kid is different.

Watching some of these other games, I really don't think CU looks that bad in comparison.

He could see it as opportunity for early playing time. There's no question that he'd get exposure playing in the PAC-12. Like VB said, it depends on the kid.

We got a silent verbal from DScott after the Mizzou disaster. I'm not sure how much stock you can put into a loss and how it affects recruiting, but each kid is different.

Hope you're right. If we pick up Wes Brown I'll feel pretty good about our RBs. We'll have Tony Jones, Josh Ford, Malcolm Creer, Davien Payne and Wes Brown. And Terrence Crowder if he doesn't grayshirt. Not bad at all.

The RB's aren't going to make much a difference if we can't block for them.
Side Note: What was with Tyler Hansen constantly missing that 4 yard out pass to the RB or FB. I only saw 2 quarters of the game and he had to have missed on that pass 4 consecutive times.

Back